Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting asked for I.D. in your twenties

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭abi2007

I'm 25 and still get asked for ID sometimes, mostly during the day if I've no make up on (I blame the freckels). I take it as a compliment though and would never get annoyed about It, they're only doing their job after all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

Rory123 wrote: »
    The Curious Case Of TPD Button.

More like 'The Curious Case of the Guy at the Till in Argos Thinking he is Funny'.

Not quite as catchy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Can't remember the last time I was asked. And I'm only 21. I've pretty much looked the same since I was 15 though...when I was younger a friends cousin asked why one of the dads friends was in the group picture. That 'dads friend' was me. Aged 15.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭scorpioishere

Neesa wrote: »
    Oh yes, holidays. The be-all-and-end-all of life. Howsoever would a person live without the holy grail that is Holidays? How would one breathe?

I've never been on a holiday in my life. It's the probably the thing I most can't understand about the Irish, and the English too. People take out loans to go on a holiday. People on the dole go on a holiday. My husband thinks it's something to do with being Spanish.

These people just want to show off, why, because their neighbours are going to lanzarote, their colleagues at work are going to teneriffe, the teacher is going to mauritius, so they have to show off and go somewhere as well. Even though they doesn't have money.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭scorpioishere

I work with two irish guys who are 21 and 23 and they both look like somebody who is in their 40's... :pac:

• Advertisement

I feckin well always get asked for ID, and I've lost my drivers license (which I got the gardai to sign the form for today :D) and I don't like bringing my passport out with me so it's a pain in the bum.

I was buying a bottle of wine and a toothbrush in lidl (classy chick eh!) at about 2 in the afternoon and yer woman asked me, I happened to have my drivers license with me and she apologised when she saw how old I was :(

Another time in sinnots in town (that's dublin town frada :p) the guy was not letting me in, I was like - em,,, I'm married, and he was like yeh right, my husband noticed I wasn't behind him came out and said mate that's my wife - they guy got all embarrassed and came in after us and apologised and everything!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

what's up with your one with the shoes and no id? how could you possibly have no id?:confused: she almost doesn't exist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

Lets agree the states is the worst place for being asked for id! :D

A few years ago my dad was over there working, in his early forthies and was asked for id. He was working on a garda investigation(was a detective) and showed them his garda warrent card as he didnt have id and they wouldnt accept it! Quick call to his contact in boston police got him in though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

Think the last time i got "carded" it was in Toronto during the summer.

Never get asked here, but maybe then thats because since iv been 17 iv been told i look 23! And now im 22 feck i must be looking even older!!! :eek:

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,921 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Was carded in Tesco just before Xmas for the first time in my life (I'm 23), I suspect it was due to the fact that me and one of my friends were buying a rake of spirits and had come over with a fit of the giggles when we reached the tills. Probably gave off the impression of nervous teens chancing their arm.

For the people who give out about places not taking a driving licence, get a Garda card thing. They're only about €6 (well it was when I was 18) and it's a lot less hassle to replace if you lose it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

The first time i was asked for id was when i turned 18! Before that i bought everything and got into clubs....
    Actually in the local Tesco there's this girl who always ask for my ID, so i avoid her but the other day she told her colleague to ask me :(
    I never take my ID with me, ah sure it's only to Tesco to pick some grocery-why carry the wallet..
    I have now boycotted Tesco and now buy my alco from Dunnes :D

Surely it would be easier to take my ID but stupid me always forgets )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Teutorix

I think in a lot of places they only even bother asking if you seem nervous, drunk, or look way to young.

My friends all look older than me, but im the only one that gets served because im relaxed and act like a normal person buying a bit of drink.

Its all about being cool kids :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,944 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I'm 19 and just about 5 ft so I am short but I don't asked for ID that often. I was sitting in a pub last night and some guy asked me was I 17...I'm glad my mam works in that pub so I have no problems!

Everybody, no matter what age(over 18 of course) should get an age-card. I have no problems when I produce it. Saves me from carrying my passport and I don't have a drivers license.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭Shelflife

the problem with the whole id issue is that the penalties for selling alcohol or cigs to someone underage are extreme.

if you sell cigs to a minor you as a shop assistant(as well as the owner) face a €3000 fine and a criminal conviction, you also lose your job. The local health board operate sting operations to try and catch you out as well.

so now you see why they are over careful when it comes to selling cigs/alcohol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 245 ✭✭gandhi123

I (19) once got refused drink from Tesco, the one in the Square, cause the picture of MY IN-DATE passport was "too old" ...

This is the same passport i used to get into America among other places FFS:mad:

and i was only buying a few cans.. That handle-bearded security guard is some baldy w****r.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭taram

Used to get in places grand at 16-18 without any ID, just older friends and plastered in makeup, the night of my 18th birthday I was asked for two forms of ID, and only had my passport, so was turned away from my own party :pac:

Got asked for ID recently buying an 18's movie by a girl I used to babysit. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Teutorix

taram wrote: »
    Used to get in places grand at 16-18 without any ID, just older friends and plastered in makeup, the night of my 18th birthday I was asked for two forms of ID, and only had my passport, so was turned away from my own party :pac:

Got asked for ID recently buying an 18's movie by a girl I used to babysit. :rolleyes:
    Who the hell expects somebody to carry around two forms id? WTF is the world coming to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

Tescos by me would only accept Garda ID cards while buying drink.

Landed in with me passport and was refused:mad:

I can get into other countries with a passport yet I cant buy a six pack with it in a sh1tty shop:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭DubLass

I think I may win this one, I got asked for id in Tesco last year buying a bottle of wine, Im ummmmmmm 44 this year :D I am from a young looking family ............ tee hee

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭thebigcheese22

DubLass wrote: »
    I think I may win this one, I got asked for id in Tesco last year buying a bottle of wine, Im ummmmmmm 44 this year :D I am from a young looking family ............ tee hee

Are you related to that 13 year old chav father in Britain?! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭coillcam

I got asked by a brazilian girl I was trying to chat up the other day how old I was, to which I replied 22 and well she was shocked. She though I was under-age:o Bum Fluff FTW.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Kersmash

I rarely get asked and I'm only 16! Depends on which shop you go to methinks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Oh yes, holidays. The be-all-and-end-all of life. Howsoever would a person live without the holy grail that is Holidays? How would one breathe?

I've never been on a holiday in my life. It's the probably the thing I most can't understand about the Irish, and the English too. People take out loans to go on a holiday. People on the dole go on a holiday. My husband thinks it's something to do with being Spanish.

You've never left the country in your adult life? Never had the inclination or the need to leave Ireland for any reason whatsoever?

Wow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

marti101 wrote: »
    But to be fair they have to take it seriously.If that was your 14 yr old son/daughter got served in Tesco im sure you would be the 1st down complaining that they are underage.

They'll get it somewhere else anyway or get someone with a fake id or whatever.

You can't stop underage drinking especially with all the marketing telling people all the cool people are doing it. Of course teenagers will drink, try stopping them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭Degag

You're being sarcastic, right??! Or in your world is it easier to apply for a passport (I don't drive so Driver's License is out), pay €75 for the passport (and €6 - €8 for passport photos), wait 6 weeks (at least) in order to recieve passport (unless you want to pay extra), then go to garda station and fill in National ID form, another €6 - €8 for more photos (it's a bad idea to use the same photo on two forms of ID), wait another 8 weeks (excluding backlog) for the National ID to come through...

... than it is to carry a second pair of shoes to the off license?

Can I come and live in your world? I bet you don't have to pay taxes there.

Lol, i know alot of women who hae no problem paying over €91 for a pair of shoes:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

My ID was refused in Tesco as it is fake.

Yes that's right, the passport I use to travel around the world and the driving license that has gone through numerous checkpoints without hassle..is indeed fake.

Who knew!?
    Tesco did, that's for sure.

they're a bunch of c*nts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Puddleduck

I never get asked for ID anymore.

That means Im old and haggard :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

It's no biggie - some people are very babyfaced and there's barely any difference in how you look between 17-22 - and older in some cases. I got carded at 26 - admittedly I made a last-minute decision to head to the pub after work so I wasn't dolled up. My friend got carded at 28 - and she was dolled up (with a five-year-old son at home!)

If old or middle-aged people are the ones carding you, you have to bear in mind that "youngsters" to them are anyone under 35 so they often find it difficult to tell the difference in age.
    Plus, 17-year-old girls who make a huge effort in terms of make-up, dress etc can look a lot older... so when a girl of 25 comes along, sometimes the bouncer isn't sure whether she's 25 or one of those really mature-looking 17-year-olds.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Sarn wrote: »
    How about being asked when you're in your 30's. Happened to me twice, once in an off-licence (discussed it with the manager and it was all ok, second time heading to a club, just showed work id and all was grand). The look of amusement on my face probably helped.

Hasn't happened in a while...must be the stress.

I got carded twice in Tesco before Christmas and I'm 35

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Loveless

I often got I.D.'ed up until the age of 28...

Advertisement