Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting asked for I.D. in your twenties

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭Theta

If he knew you were in your twenties he wouldnt have asked for christ sake! You line up 10 average people between the age of 17 and 23 and see how hard it can be to guess there age correctly! After working in an offo for nearly 8 years it is still bloody hard! Thankfully most of the people I ask who can be into there late twenties are sound about it and are more then willing to produce.

Would you bring your ID out if you were going to a pub/club??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭here.from.day.1

Havent been asked much since I hit the 20s. Im usually only asked if im with someone that looks younger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭RaverRo808

irlmarc wrote: »
    If he knew you were in your twenties he wouldnt have asked for christ sake! You line up 10 average people between the age of 17 and 23 and see how hard it can be to guess there age correctly! After working in an offo for nearly 8 years it is still bloody hard! Thankfully most of the people I ask who can be into there late twenties are sound about it and are more then willing to produce.

Would you bring your ID out if you were going to a pub/club??

Nope,but I never get asked,that was the first time I was asked in years,I do bouncer myself odd time myself,so the places I go I know lads doing the door

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

There's something about this grudge you are holding over this small thing that I think you will need therapy if you can't let it go.

RaverRo808 wrote: »
    Nope,but I never get asked,that was the first time I was asked in years,I do bouncer myself odd time myself,so the places I go I know lads doing the door

So you do bouncer do you? So you can pinpoint a persons age no matter what?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭HouseHippo

I got asked for ID buying cigarette papers and a lighter the other day!!!!!! I said just leave the papers and give me the lighter,still wanted ID. Idiots

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Orla K

Im soooo hurt by your comments,I promise Ill grow up and never bully sales assistants again

Oh, this made me laugh. A few years ago I worked out a system where you can officially become an adult, in steps of responsibilities and rights. By the way your getting overly argavated and mouthing off, you wouldn't be able to vote and drink among other things.

Anyway calm down,be more mature than treating people like that, it doesn't matter what they said/did but, as you said they were younger so you should have been the one to act properly. Hopefully if something similar happens again you won't jump in giving out. Anyway have a good day because I'm going to eat something and then go to bed.

Orla K wrote: »
    Oh, this made me laugh. A few years ago I worked out a system where you can officially become an adult, in steps of responsibilities and rights. By the way your getting overly argavated and mouthing off, you wouldn't be able to vote and drink among other things.

Anyway calm down,be more mature than treating people like that, it doesn't matter what they said/did but, as you said they were younger so you should have been the one to act properly. Hopefully if something similar happens again you won't jump in giving out. Anyway have a good day because I'm going to eat something and then go to bed.

Jaysus you have a very early bedtime

She might be under 18 and this is her bedtime. We will have to see some id to find out :P

irlmarc wrote: »
    So you do bouncer do you? So you can pinpoint a persons age no matter what?

I not the one doing the asking for ID,but normally Id let anyone in that isnt extremely p*ssed or carrying a machete,if someone walks up who looks 14 obviously they be getting the 'not tonight'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

What if he looks 14 but is over 18, isn't that the type of discrimination you were ranting about earlier?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Orla K

Jaysus you have a very early bedtime

I had an early morning time 2am. So to me it's about ten pm and I'm ready to drop but I need food first.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Working the door a few weeks ago and i stopped a girl for I.D, she pulled out a driving licence, she was 27. Luckily enough she was nice about it. Its too hard to tell nowadays.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

'how old do I look to you mate'?,he starts to quiver,'em I just need to ask'.I repeated my question,he didnt say anything,'do I look f*cking 16 to you,buying guniness and a baby powers you dope','Im 23,how old are you'
    I do bouncer myself odd time myself

If somebody came up to you on the door when you're doing bouncer and said the first quote what would you say to him?

What if he looks 14 but is over 18, isn't that the type of discrimination you were ranting about earlier?

He'll be asked for ID,and if he has it then he'll be allowed in if he doesnt good luck,its not type place kids would want to get into anyway,normally folk in their late twenties,early thirties

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

He'll be asked for ID,and if he has it then he'll be allowed in if he doesnt good luck,its not type place kids would want to get into anyway,normally folk in their late twenties,early thirties

Fair enough. It's OK for you to ask for ID but if anybody asks you they'll get a "witty" reply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Neesa wrote: »
    Oh yes, holidays. The be-all-and-end-all of life. Howsoever would a person live without the holy grail that is Holidays? How would one breathe?
    I never met a workaholic, but I think you may be one.

=-=

Once got carded when I was 23 buying drink in Eurospar. And I laughed. I continued to laugh when I showed them my ID, and continued to giggle until I was down the road.

Went to the pub since I was 17. Never got carded. I'm 6 foot 6 now, which helps.

If somebody came up to you on the door when you're doing bouncer and said the first quote what would you say to him?

Your dead,boom,Im messing,I was talking about my experience,I just didnt like being asked for ID by someone who looked 12

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭RxQueen

lighten the mood..

last year i bought my then 12 year old brother into see a 15's film as he really wanted to see.. he was being left through no problems, i got stopped and told that its was a 15's film and i was clearly underage.. queue me telling them i was 20 and her laughing.. luckliy i had id on me, but her face was a picture when i showed her..

also in Centra the other day , my mother collected me from work and asked me to pick up some cans on the way home :rolleyes: anywho was still in my uniform at this point... and she refused to serve me without id.... to which i brought to her attention, she sold me 20 silk cut about 2 hours beforehand... alas i left empty handed>.<

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭mac_attack

I'm 22 and have only have had my out of date Student ID card to go on for the last 2 years. Its ridcolous the amount of times I have been asked for ID when out with my fellow twenty something mates, but in fairness if your able to explain your case and not act like a prick or drunk the bouncer will let you in. Haha last saturday one of the bouncers decided to ID me and my mates and wouldn't accept my student ID (as it wasn't "official" ID), so I turn to one of the other bouncers who I knew me and she was like "sure he is older than me" and the other bouncers laughed and said not to mind him as he was new, ha

But definetly the best tip as everyone has been saying is act like you don't expcet to be ID'd

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I never get asked, and I'm 17 :pac: Show some cleavage ladies!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭mac_attack

Havent been asked much since I hit the 20s. Im usually only asked if im with someone that looks younger.

HA!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭steo87

Grow a beard, preferably a goatee, and ya won't be asked. (for fear that you have the ghey and might come onto them)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

True. Works for me .......although I hope not for the same reasons as above

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

take the complament and run with it !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Turned 18 in October and it seems I only get ID"ed" going into clubs, never been asked in a pub and only the odd time in offos (only Tesco and a certain Londis usually).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Ha, ID'd in pubs, guaranteed anywhere I'm not a local! I was on a flight about 3 years ago (I'm 25 now so was 21 or 22 at the time) and an airhostess came over to move me from my seat beside the exit door because "You must be 16" to sit there :eek:

Over Christmas I was buying some things in Tescos. My mam wanted me to buy her the Leona Lewis album as a present for my cousin. I was there to buy a few things myself (including a bottle of wine, a box of condoms and a multivitamin, ya know, for the hangover)

So of course I go to self service and cos wine is an "adult item" I get ID'd by a woman in her late fitfties (I'm 24 - and look it!)who sees a bottle of wine, a Leona Lewis CD and a jumbo box on condoms and gave me the once over and decided that I was tryin to bribe some unsuspecting young lady with a gift to show my sensitive side (the CD), some wine to let the inhibitions go and the condoms to seal the deal!! :pac: God knows what she thought the multivitamin was for!! :D She looked at me like I was filth!!

I've also been asked for ID recently buyin booze in Centra...... and yet I dunno when the last time I got ID'd goin clubbin!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭flyton5

Tesco in Dundrum refused to accept my passport as they only accept Garda Age Cards. This wasn't a 10 year old passport with an ancient picture it was one of the new "tamper proof" kind that had been recently issued.

Garda Age Card(fakes of which are easily available) is a much better form of ID.

Thank you Tesco. I hate you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 171 ✭✭Seonad

I was asked for not one but two forms of ID on Friday when I went to Burn in Dublin. I gave my passport and was then asked if I'd any college ID(I go but didn't have any on me and told him so).
    I wouldn't mind really but when I got in the group I was with were the oldest people in there by at least 5-6 years and I'm 22:rolleyes:.

Advertisement