Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting asked for I.D. in your twenties

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭Breaktown

I'm 23, but I have the misfortune of looking about 15. It drives me crazy and I'm incredibly paranoid about it. People are also patronising to me because they think I'm a lot younger than I am. The most irritating thing is that I have started getting a few grey hairs but I still have the baby face!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭steo87

Breaktown wrote: »
    I'm 23, but I have the misfortune of looking about 15. It drives me crazy and I'm incredibly paranoid about it. People are also patronising to me because they think I'm a lot younger than I am. The most irritating thing is that I have started getting a few grey hairs but I still have the baby face!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zK9vfyMukPA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭HouseHippo

What do ya do if you show a passport and a student ID and they still say it wasn't you.I had this problem on Friday night,my birthday of all days.I wouldn mind but the picture is only a few months old and it is clearly me. I got in,in the end after showing him my donor card,medical card and bank card all with my name on it as well as my work id. It wa so embarrassing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

Was in the tescos in sligo last week was buying a bottle of wine. Up to the counter I come and there is this one asking me for id. Fair enough I said I would go out to the car to get it but she said they wouldnt accept it only passport of age id.

I found this hilarious, I said grand so you can keep it as I will be shopping else where ie. asda in enniskillen. Gf was with me and couldnt believe I got asked. btw Im 23.

Ah never mind she will be out of the job in a few months anyway!! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Bluebell55

I'm never asked for ID in clubs/pubs, etc, but EVERY single time I go to a Tesco I get asked for ID when buying alcohol..... And fair enough some days I might look a bit rough but when im actually dressed decently I still get asked.
    Once I went up to the counter with a bottle of vino, and the cashier looked at me point blank and said "sorry you have to be over 18 to buy alcohol" and took the wine off me. I proceeded to explain I was 21, and showed her my Garda ID, but she had to call her supervisor to authorise the sale!!! All the time holding up the queue.....:mad::mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

I was getting into clubs and pubs, getting served everywhere since I was 16 (I'm 20 now). I never really got hassled for ID anywhere... until 2 weeks ago. In a pub with my mates and I was asked to leave by a barman. I asked him why. He says ''You're obviously underage''................... 6' 2'', five o'clock shadow, UCD hoody... oh yeah, that REEKS of being under-18. Thankfully I had my Driver's Licence with me... The f*cking eejit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭LaMer

I get ID'd the odd time in town sometimes when my mates usually just stroll in, great source of amusement to them! Otherwise I don't get ID'd much in offos and that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 sunshine girl 2

thebman wrote: »
    Always seem to get asked :(

In Tesco I just go to the counter with the youngest person at it because they are least likely to ask me.

Got asked last time anyway but I could tell the guy didn't want to. Companies need to cope on with their policies and let employees use their judgement on this type of thing IMO.

COp on people its the checkout people who hve to ask fo id
    it doesnt matter if the person on the till is the youngest lookin
    its their job to ask get over it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

COp on people its the checkout people who hve to ask fo id
    it doesnt matter if the person on the till is the youngest lookin
    its their job to ask get over it

Students there won't ask for ID, they just don't sorry it upsets you :rolleyes:

My guess would be the job isn't worth as much to them so they don't care about following store policy.

The older workers need the job more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

It IS insulting when you're in you mid twenties and somebody thinks you're not even 18!!

You are joking, right?

I'm 24, never get ID'd ever, but I was queuing for the luas about a year ago and someone asked me if I was in TY. I took it as a compliment.

I'd be in no way insulted if someone implied I might look younger than I am. If you look under 25 companies are perfectly within their rights to ID you. Better annoy one woman than get caught selling drink to an under-ager and face those consequences.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

18 a forthnight ago, only ever asked for ID once when i was 17 going into a club, thought id be asked at least once since my birthday since im going in more often but nope :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 sunshine girl 2

Students there won't ask for ID, they just don't sorry it upsets you :rolleyes:

My guess would be the job isn't worth as much to them so they don't care about following store policy.

The older workers need the job more.

why would it upset me lol :o
    and if they dont ask n the person is underage the store gets closed the assitant gets FINED and they also get fired
    do u not relize how serious it is :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

In the not so distant future one could be asked for ID at any age, whether its buying booze or fags at an off license. THe States had this law for donkeys and its only a matter of time before its brought in here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Jamfan

If you get asked for ID, then be happy! It obviously means you look really young for your age... that equates to healthy and vigorous, and that's a good thing!

I often get mistaken for being 7 to 10 years younger. Happy Days... hehehe... I'm 35, BTW.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

I was told I look 16 today..

I'm 21.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭bigslick

Went to cinema with girlfriend a while ago. We are both 22, i am 6 foot, she is 5 foot. Got to ticket checking guy (who happened to be of indian descent) and he said can he see her ID. (The film was rated 16's!). I thought he was joking but he was deadly serious!! Tried to explain to him that she was my gf and why wud i be going out with sumone under 16 etc etc.

Was told to go upstairs and get clearance from a manager. Went up and explained situation to a manager (irish) and she took one look and her and said, "dont worry about him, just tell him its grand". Was then let through.

She was mortified and really rather angry. I think was just a cultural issue though, and the guy was probably just new.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

A few years ago I was refused beer in the Spar offie on Dame St. Didn't have ID on me at the time and ended up giving the knob jockey a piece of my mind. Even his co-workers were laughing at him. So ended up getting served elsewhere. At the time I was 37!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,341 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I'm 30 and I still have to carry an old driving licence about with me because I regularly get asked.

why would it upset me lol :o
    and if they dont ask n the person is underage the store gets closed the assitant gets FINED and they also get fired
    do u not relize how serious it is :eek:

Well it obviously upsets you if your using all caps and eeking out over it.

I'll go to whatever counter I want to get served. I bring my drivers license with me when I shop because I drive there. Tesco only accept Garda ID's which I don't have or in some cases passports although people have been refused when carrying passports.

I don't really care if they get shut down. I'll provide my drivers license if asked for ID, they usually accept it if they are young. The older people won't accept this as ID. When they refuse to serve me they make me look like a criminal trying to buy alcohol when I'm underage when that is not the case. I don't think I should have to look like a criminal. If there is a problem with the law that is preventing them from selling me alcohol with a valid form of ID provided to me by the state when I was required to provide a birth cert to get this ID then they should lobby the state to change that law as it is affecting their profits.

In most cases I just go to the local off-license instead since they never ask for id for me and I prefer to support the local business over Tesco and I'd be driving that way anyway so it isn't a large inconvenience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 496 ✭✭Ya-Boy-Ya

What the big deal gettin asked for ID... its their job to make sure your over age so just put up with it !!!!

• Advertisement

Ya-Boy-Ya wrote: »
    What the big deal gettin asked for ID... its their job to make sure your over age so just put up with it !!!!

Well I just answered that. Refusing valid government issued licenses is the real problem not asking for ID in the first place.

I get asked for ID going into pubs too and they never refuse me entry with my government issued drivers license.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Goonerette

The only time I ever got asked for ID was when I was buying a DVD boxset of The Sopranos. :D So I hand the guy my passport (this was in London which is the only reason I had it with me) and he starts fumbling with it unable to find the photo page. So I go "I'm 22, you know" and he just laughed, gave up trying to find the picture page, handed it back to me and said to take this a compliment. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 jinxy

You are required to carry ID with you until you are over 23, it is fair to say its hard to distinguish people's ages from about 18 - 24 as some people can look very young and theres a hefty fine for the bar if they're caught selling under age people beer, they have all rights to ask for ID, it's not their problem if you don't have it, its easier not to let a possible under age drinker and lose about 50 euros than let one in and risk getting done for it. If you were behind the bar and someone looked 17 but insisted on being 20, would you care?

Be greatful we're not somewhere like Boston MA where you are required to carry ID when drinking no matter what age you are, I seen a guy who was easily in his fifties get refused beer at a baseball game!

(By the way This is coming from a 21 yr old who never get's ID'd for beer but does for smokes haha!)

SV wrote: »
    I was told I look 16 today..

I'm 21.

I got asked last weekend am I still in school
    after I recovered enough to explain I'm 23, 'oh but you look 15' :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 jinxy

The reason Tesco won't accept driver's licenses is because its so easy to make fake ones, there are loads going around and loads of people have been caught with them. Here's an idea for ya, may be a little crazy, but did ya ever think about unzipping them tight pockets of yours and forkin out for an age card? A lot of pubs don't accept driver's licences anymore, and an age card is cheaper than a passport, economical investment for a drinker on a budget.
    Well it obviously upsets you if your using all caps and eeking out over it.

I'll go to whatever counter I want to get served. I bring my drivers license with me when I shop because I drive there. Tesco only accept Garda ID's which I don't have or in some cases passports although people have been refused when carrying passports.

I don't really care if they get shut down. I'll provide my drivers license if asked for ID, they usually accept it if they are young. The older people won't accept this as ID. When they refuse to serve me they make me look like a criminal trying to buy alcohol when I'm underage when that is not the case. I don't think I should have to look like a criminal. If there is a problem with the law that is preventing them from selling me alcohol with a valid form of ID provided to me by the state when I was required to provide a birth cert to get this ID then they should lobby the state to change that law as it is affecting their profits.

In most cases I just go to the local off-license instead since they never ask for id for me and I prefer to support the local business over Tesco and I'd be driving that way anyway so it isn't a large inconvenience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Schism

I get asked for I.D. a lot of the time (I'm 22), it doesn't bother me generally.

What is annoying though is in an off-licence when they ring up whatever you're getting, have it in a bag and all and then ask you for I.D. I mean where's the sense in that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭source

jinxy wrote: »
    The reason Tesco won't accept driver's licenses is because its so easy to make fake ones, there are loads going around and loads of people have been caught with them. Here's an idea for ya, may be a little crazy, but did ya ever think about unzipping them tight pockets of yours and forkin out for an age card? A lot of pubs don't accept driver's licences anymore, and an age card is cheaper than a passport, economical investment for a drinker on a budget.

The thing about a real license is that there are many security features on them that aren't common knowledge and this is the problem, most of the security features can be seen by holding it under a blacklight, which pretty much all businesses have these days for checking money.

It's not that the authorities don't want people to know about these features it's just lack of training on the part of the business.

All irish licences have uv flecks on them, they also have a diamond in the corner on the back with either the letter F or P on it, also around the donor information on the back, the box that it is in is actually writing not a solid line reading"the department of the environment and local government" , and if you hold it up to the light you'll see an image of 3 custom house's on the far right page and a black line running down the middle page.

no fake licence will have these features. and they're very easy to check using existing technology in shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭gra26

One day I was in buying fags in tescos and the cashier asked me for ID. I laughed at her told her I was 25 but showed it to her all the same. I'd been in loads of times before and never been asked. But then she asked the girl I was with who was in the queue behind me for ID, even though she wasn't buying fags or drink. She didn't have any with her so the cashier refused to sell the fags to me because the other girl had no ID.
    Man was I annoyed after that. And the other girl was 21 at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

gra26 wrote: »
    And the other girl was 21 at the time.

How do you know? Did you ask her for id?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭gra26

No I was in tescos with her. As in I knew her.

Advertisement