Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting asked for I.D. in your twenties

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

all supermarkets in the uk that state if you dont look over 25 you will be asked for ID if you want cigarettes or alcohol

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭gra26

Yes ok, but I gave her ID and she still wouldn't sell them to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

gra26 wrote: »
    One day I was in buying fags in tescos and the cashier asked me for ID. I laughed at her told her I was 25 but showed it to her all the same. I'd been in loads of times before and never been asked. But then she asked the girl I was with who was in the queue behind me for ID, even though she wasn't buying fags or drink. She didn't have any with her so the cashier refused to sell the fags to me because the other girl had no ID.
    Man was I annoyed after that. And the other girl was 21 at the time.

So she saw your ID, proving you were over 18, but wouldn't serve you because the person behind you in the queue didn't have any??? :confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭GalwayKiefer

foinse wrote: »
    The thing about a real license is that there are many security features on them that aren't common knowledge and this is the problem, most of the security features can be seen by holding it under a blacklight, which pretty much all businesses have these days for checking money.

It's not that the authorities don't want people to know about these features it's just lack of training on the part of the business.

Just read this whole thread and this was the first thing I wanted to point out but you beat me to it :)

To make a near perfect fake driver's licence from scratch is as hard as printing money. The poorly made ones are the one's people are seeing floating around.
    The new Garda ID has a multi-spectrum holographic overlay which would cost a lot of money to re-produce, where those cards fall down is applying for one with fake details.

Training and education is where most businesses fall down in this area. In the US you must do specific ID training before you can work selling drink/cigs. And if its a US or Can ID you've never seen before you can refer to "The ID Checking Guide" http://www.idcheckingguide.com/ which has photos and details of State Ids/licences etc.

About the driver's licence vs passport vs age card issue, I was always under the impression that any government issued document baring a photo and details was acceptable to prove your age. The Age Card happens to be specifically for alcohol and cigarettes. I'm open to correction obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭bnagrrl

I was asked for ID last weekend when buying those little non-alcoholic shandys in Aldi.

I'm 25.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭GirlInterrupted

I've been delighted to be asked for ID twice in the last month, while buying wine at the supermarket.

I'm 27.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

You know you're getting old when you're happy to be asked for ID..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭GirlInterrupted

SV wrote: »
    You know you're getting old when you're happy to be asked for ID..

So, so, true.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I'm still ID'd nearly every time I buy drink, and I'm almost 25. I know I look younger than I am, but not *that* young...

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭MonicaBing

Im fecking delighted so! Im 33 and still get asked for ID, in pubs i'm not known in and clubs!! Pure chuffed i is!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

I got asked for ID today buying a bottle of wine in Lidl (€5.95...bargain!) I could see the cashier eyeing me up the whole time she was serving the 2 customers in front of me, she was just DYING to ask me! When she looked at my ID she was like "Oh 1985?" and did an embarrassed laugh. I never mind though, but if I was turned away for only having a driver's licence I'd be seriously pissed off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭leitrim lad

yip i get it all the time

id and im 24 , funny thing is when i was under 18 i was never asked for id and i drank and smoked way more,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 231 ✭✭turtleshead

Does getting asked in the US count :)

I last got asked last year in tesco by some young fella would say he was only 18/19, I had about €200 worth of beer/spirits in a trolley and got asked for ID, was suprised but had my passport with me, was told they dont take passports only the Garda age card!

I asked the spotty little F*cker how come a passport is good enough to get into the country with but not good enough to buy beer, he stuttered and said something about company policy, I was 27 a the time, I look young but hardly under 21....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭leitrim lad

Does getting asked in the US count :)

I last got asked last year in tesco by some young fella would say he was only 18/19, I had about €200 worth of beer/spirits in a trolley and got asked for ID, was suprised but had my passport with me, was told they dont take passports only the Garda age card!

I asked the spotty little F*cker how come a passport is good enough to get into the country with but not good enough to buy beer, he stuttered and said something about company policy, I was 27 a the time, I look young but hardly under 21....

i hope you threw the beer over him and set a light to it ,i cant stand under age racists , undercists i call them and i suppose he had that thicko yank accent , his only problem in life we have history he doesnt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

The potential fine for selling fags to anyone under 18 is €3000.

Think of that the next time you are refused for having no I.D.

Would you like to have to pay that if you were in the shopkeepers shoes?

Anyone who gets offended needs to cop on to themselves and anyone who doesn't have ID doesn't have the right to complain.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭Valmont

RonMexico I'm disappointed, I thought you'd have Hunter.S.Thompson reference in there somehow:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

bnagrrl wrote: »
    I was asked for ID last weekend when buying those little non-alcoholic shandys in Aldi.

I'm 25.

Yeah happened to a friend in Tesco too. I laughed, reckon it is because they have a certain percentage of alcohol in them or because they are listed in the off-license section on their software or something.

It is ridiculous though. They only ask because the system tells them to but they need to fix their crappy system. There are lots of products with less than 1% alcohol. Should people's id be checked for all of them?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

where i grew up i used to be the one who got sent into the off-licence to pick up booze when we were under age as I've looked over 18 since i was about 13, thanks to being 6'5" and had never been asked for ID once in all the times I'd been in there.

on my 18th birthday i decided to go in and buy my first legal drink with a big "I AM 18" badge on and got asked for ID and didn't have any on me. wasn't a happy bunny, but totally deserved it for being a cheeky little prick!

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Jeapy

I love being ID'd! Makes me feel a bit younger!

On the other hand, I was in Tesco yesterday and a woman (about mid 30s) in front of me was gettin' really p1ssed off that the self service till wanted a staff member to come over when she scanned a bottle of wine. She turned to yer man, narky as anything and said "What's the problem? I'm overage ya know?"....pffft did she think the frickin' machine could tell a person's age or something?! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Trog

Ha, this reminds me about back in the day, at the teenies disco queue. It was over 16's, under 18's.

These two lanky fecks were trying to get in, and the bouncer asked one for id. He said he didn't have any, so the bouncer said he's too young. There's a discussion about it, and one of the lads whips out his passport and shouts "LOOK, I'm 18, HE IS TOO!!" The bouncer replies "fine, you're not too young. You're too old. Get out." The two lads were laughed out of the place.

I have no idea why an 18 year old wanted to get in, everyone else was about 14. Still funny though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 mmm_chocolate

I get asked for ID fairly often.

A couple of weeks ago I was asked while buying a bottle of wine at my local shop. It was pretty funny considering the same chap had served me two hours previously, when I was buying beer for my boyfriend.
    "What age are you?"
    :rolleyes: "27"
    "Are you sure?"
    "Pretty sure, yep."
    "Do you have ID?"
    "No, because I'm 27!!!"
    "I'm not sure..."
    "You served me TWO HOURS AGO!!! And the other day. And last week..."
    "Ok, but bring ID the next time."

Oh, and a month ago I was asked for ID when I went for a pub lunch with some girls from work (we were all asked). We weren't drinking, just wanted to grab some grub. They wouldn't serve us food because we didn't have ID. We had to leave the pub like embarrassed teenagers. I wouldn't mind but the girl behind the bar was only about 19. I was mortified!

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭gra26

So she saw your ID, proving you were over 18, but wouldn't serve you because the person behind you in the queue didn't have any??? :confused::confused:

Exactly. So you can imagine how confused I was by it too!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I'm 21 and I hardly ever get asked for ID anymore.

It only ever happens if I'm out with a group of lads. Whenever I'm out with my gf, I never get asked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭5318008!

I was hungover once and decided to get a can of tesco kick (their knock-off of red bull) to ease my pains. When i reached the checkout i was told i needed to have over 16s I.D. ffs!

Over 16!!! Now i know i might look a bit young for my age, but as a college student i'd like to think i look a bit older than 15! Even at 16, bus drivers had no problems making me pay the adult fare.

And yet any kid can walk in and buy a jar of coffee containing 20 doses of caffeine whereas a red bull only has 1.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 PirateGirl

its always gonna be hard for me to believe or own up to this but...im 25...I always get asked for id in my local shop, everywhere! especially tesco(they are epic ****). my lovely toyboy boyfriend is only 21 and is never asked for id anywhere...the power of a leather jacket, muscled arms and a manly beard methinks..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 PirateGirl

Trog wrote: »
    Ha, this reminds me about back in the day, at the teenies disco queue. It was over 16's, under 18's.

These two lanky fecks were trying to get in, and the bouncer asked one for id. He said he didn't have any, so the bouncer said he's too young. There's a discussion about it, and one of the lads whips out his passport and shouts "LOOK, I'm 18, HE IS TOO!!" The bouncer replies "fine, you're not too young. You're too old. Get out." The two lads were laughed out of the place.

I have no idea why an 18 year old wanted to get in, everyone else was about 14. Still funny though.
    reminds me... an exboyfriend of mine used to go to millenium maddness and frenchies when he was 17, maybe even 18...at that age you should be blagging,begging or sneaking into clubs, or at least respectably drinking on the streets with the rest of the galway population!! at that age going to teen discos is rather...creepy.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Take it as a compliment when asked for ID. If its not flattering its iggnorant stupidity ( Or company policy) the only time I would not is

1. If your a pensioner and want to use your bus pass

2. If your a guard just about to kick a scumbags door down :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭idontknowmyname

I was buying a cheap bottle of plonk on Paddy's Day in Lidl and got asked for ID at the desk. I didn't have a lot of make-up on and was dressed in a hoodie and jeans- I'm almost 27! Had to laugh then got really offended they thought I was under 18! Doubt I'll be saying that once I'm 30+

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

i'm 21 and it's very rare that i get asked for id. As a 18 year old i lived with a 23 year old, when we went to the offie and i was getting cans i was never asked for id, but once she asked for buckfast she was asked straight away. every time

• Advertisement

yip i get it all the time

id and im 24 , funny thing is when i was under 18 i was never asked for id and i drank and smoked way more,

I thought you were about 50 from the way you go on lol.

I've only ever been asked for id once in my entire life, and that was a pity ask. :(

Someone mistook me for a teenager last night :D, they were very very drunk though. :(

Advertisement