Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lease

Options
  • 22-02-2009 5:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭

Have a six month lease on a flat.In the lease it says

"You will have property from date of entry.. to date of exit.. If at the end of this time,you want to continue the tenancy and you have not already received rwo months' notice to end the tenancy,it will carry on from month to month as a monthly contractual tenancy.You muxt give one months notice to end it."

The 6 months is nearly up and I cant get in contact with the landlord(who while being a bit of a loon is good)but the above passage seems to me that until we recieve notice to leave, that we keep paying the rent and stay in the flat.
    Am I correct or do I need to go and get another lease made up?
    Have never leased before so am a bit unsure.
    Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

Yep, my reading of that says you can live there as long as you keep paying rent, subject to a month's notice on either party.
    I believe the law actually gives a slightly longer notice period as you've already been there over 6 months, so check out the guide to the Residential Tenancies Act on threshold.ie for the definitive answer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭uptherebels

Ste.phen wrote: »
    Yep, my reading of that says you can live there as long as you keep paying rent, subject to a month's notice on either party.
    I believe the law actually gives a slightly longer notice period as you've already been there over 6 months, so check out the guide to the Residential Tenancies Act on threshold.ie for the definitive answer

cool,will do.

Advertisement