Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ND filter advice?

• 22-02-2009 5:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭

As I understand it, and if I understand correctly that is, if I want to shoot slow shutter speeds during the day (waterfalls, fountains etc..) then a ND filter is required?
    If this is the case then how do I know what ND# to choose? I know they relate to exposure (F stops), but is there one that is pretty versitile or do I have to go out and buy a ND2, 4, 8 etc... I want to buy one next weekend, but I only want to buy 1 if I can get away with it.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

The number tells you how many exposure steps (EV) you would have to increase the shutter time. ND4 gets you from 1/125 to (1/60, 1/30, 1/15 - just counting) 1/8 of the second. The choice depends on you and the requred effect, aperture of the lens and the lowest ISO setting of your camera.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭Duchovny

I would say a ND4 or 8 is enough for you is you just want to slow waterfalls and so on, i would go for the ND8 and you can always play more with the F's anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 266 ✭✭SemperFidelis

An ND8 will only get you a 3-stop reduction in shutter speed (or increase in aperature). While ND4 is 2-stops and ND2 is 1-stop.

An Nd8 will let in 1/8 of the light, ND4 1/4 and ND2 1/2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

Doh! I did it again. Sorry for that (and read my signature) :(

By the way, any recommended suppliers of ND filters? I am seriously thinking about ND8 for few ideas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 bocha

i was looking for one of these too, i hoped to blur the people in a busy street - nd8 was my conclusion

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭Duchovny

I use Hoya, but i got my 1st B+W filter and looks way better... But it wasn't a ND8 it was a ND 110 ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

7dayshop & MyMemory both sell them in a variety of sizes.

Advertisement