Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Putting a window in an old stone outbuilding

Options
  • 22-02-2009 6:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭

Hi,

I am planning on converting my old stone outbuilding into a workshop. The first thing I need to do is to put in a window. I am concerned about just exactly how I go about this with a traditional stone building and want to find an online source of information that will 'talk' me through the whole process.

Does anyone have any ideas, sources of information on converting old stone buildings ?

Thanks for any info'.

Cheers

Ray

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭cossworxenergy

you would need to remove two stones either side of the window at the top. put thick timber beam through and support with an acro. An acros like an extentable scaffold support. Then you would remove the rest of the stones and put in a lintel along the top to support the roof. remove rest of stone and install your window. Stone buildings are very unpredictable and be very carefull. Thats the basic jist of how to do it but im sure there are other sources which would be more informative. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭flynnboy

Hi cossworxenergy

Thanks.

I have to say at the risk of seeming thick that I have come across that info' and what I do not understand is this.....

If you put in a support either side of the intended window in order to insert a lintel, when you bang out the stones along the top in the horizontal line where you want to put the lintel what is to stop the stones above along the line of the lintel and in between the two supports from coming down ?

I don't know if I have explained that very well, but perhaps you know what I mean ?

Cheers

Ray

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

Stone buildings are incredibly strong. You must use traditional lime mortar as it expands and contracts, allowing the stone wall to move - cement will crack!

I've put a number of windows in - I've lots of photos (somewhere).
    If I find them I'll PM you for an email address and email them to you.

Prop up the ceiling joist or any loads over the proposed window ope... Like stated above... then dig away! Insert new lintols etc.

I used brick to square the ope, this allowed me to put in a dpc and insulation at the reveals (sides of ope).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 mark/joiner

hi all , hire out a pair of strong boys which are a blade that fit on top of the acro's which you then knock into the motar bed and saves knocking a hole all the way thru, so not to disturb too much at once. make sure to use a stone cill on the bottom or concrete if its poss to stop any ponding problems at the bottom. Hope this helps

mark/joiner

What are 'strong boys' ? Are they common, like available to hire at tool hire shops?

Cheers

Ray

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 mark/joiner

The strong boys are a extension for the top of the prop which slide on after they are inserted into the joint.The lip is about 12 inch long by a 1/4 which you grind a slot to strart it then knock it in for a tight fit. Should get them from HSS hire.Get some slate to wedge back the stone as you work across the new lintel.Pack the joints tight with slate and point in with mortar

Thanks for all of your help guys, useful stuff.

Cheers

Advertisement