Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Usual time taken for return of deposit?

Options
  • 22-02-2009 6:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭

Hi,

ive come to the end of a 1year lease and have already notified the landlord that i will be moving out in a month.
    My question is when should i expect the deposit to be returned - is there any regulation? I will also be moving city, so should i ask the landlord to come up and check everything is ok in the apt before i leave, or would that normally not happen until after the tenant has vacated.

this was my first time renting, so not sure what the normal procedure is.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭philcsl

I've rented many places over the years and have always arranged to meet the landlord on the day I was moving out so that they can inspect the house/apt and return the deposit on the spot, it is the best option for both parties.

Some of my friends have been stung / robbed over the years by landlords who were slow to return deposits and then deducted ridiculous amounts for 'cleaning' even when the place was left spotless. There are some who will try every trick they know to avoid refunding your deposit.

(PS. I'm a landlord myself just incase I sound too biased against landlords!)

Advertisement