Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PVCu Windows etc. How do you compare quotes?

Options
  • 22-02-2009 7:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭

I’m putting in a patio, back door, and 6 windows. I’ve got quotes from 3 companies, A- €6,600, B-€5,700, C- €4,500. On face value I’d be concerned that the higher quote is taking too muck profit and the lower quote could have poor material.
    [FONT=&quot]Basically I need to make a comparison of whats recommended quality for patio, back door, window, presume these are the key components: uPVC quality/thickness, glass, locks, guarantee and anything else important. Can anyone please advise what standards / quality is good and probably more important what to avoid. [/FONT]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 mark/joiner

HI all, as a quick guide to compare windows/ doors/ patio's.
    which system are they made from
    are they internally beaded
    whats the energy rating
    are they reinforced
    do they have shoot bollts to windows
    do they have hook locks to the doors

this should give you a better idea whats good and whats bull
    please let me know if you need any more help

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭kopykat

HI all, as a quick guide to compare windows/ doors/ patio's.

Thanks for the reply but could you give a few more specific recommendations

which system are they made from
    Could you explain further, which system is best?

whats the energy rating
    What rating should I be looking for?

are they reinforced
    reinforced with what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 mark/joiner

Windows made from any of the systems below will give you a window that is fully welded with no mechanical joints and will have the glazing beads fitted from inside the room.

Sheerframe
    Rehau
    Veka (matrix)

The energy rating is their heat loss with A rated the highest
    if not A rated then at least a low e glass with argon gas filling.
    A fully reinforced system (outer frame and sashes) can be in aluminium or galvanised steel. This means all the screws which hold the hinges and lock keeps have a solid fix and will not strip out of pvc if anyone attemps to bar them open.
    If you pm me the sizes and how many openers per window i will get you a quote for you to compare the spec's to if thats any help.

Advertisement