Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going to Dublin

Options
  • 22-02-2009 7:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hello everyone.

Me and my friend are going to Dublin in about 6 weeks. Easter times I think. Anyways, we're both Norwegian, and we would like to know what we should check out in Dublin and what we should avoid, if there is something we should avoid that is.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Foxen wrote: »
    what we should avoid
    Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Foxen

Savman wrote: »
    Dublin.
    Hah, well, we're considering Limerick too... but we don't want to spend all our money on transport. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭herya

Dublin's grand. Take a DART ride from Howth to Greystones, great views guaranteed. Go see Howth, Bray (Head), take a walk in the Docklands.

I'm a sea junkie...

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭ZOLTAN28

Being from Norway you may be interested in our viking exhibition at Christchurch Cathedral - the cathedral is a wonderful building in itself - http://www.dublinia.ie/

The Temple bar area is worth a wander around during the day but very touristy at night.

For going out - anywhere around Grafton Street or Stephen's Green - expensive but generally good places to eat and drink.

The Brazen Head pub is a bit away from the centre but good for Irish music and food/drink.

A visit to the Guinness brewery is essential.

If you are staying centrally I would walk everywhere - our public transport is not the best at the moment - althogh there are a number of open top bus tours which are hop on/hop off and a good way of seeing the sights.

Don't avoid Dblin - it's a great city.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I'll move this to the Dublin City forum. You might get more interesting tips from the locals :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Foxen, what are you in to? What type of things do you like?

Hah, I like to play games and read manga. Except that, I like to be with friends, take pictures and just see the world. :rolleyes:

I think river dance is quite fascinating! ^^

Go see Irish dancers in the Arlington Hotel then. I think they have a show every night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭anladmór

em let me think, if it was in the next few weeks it would be better because weather is kinda good lately, i mean 11 degrees...outrageous!!!!!:D

do you like art? well the museaum here is apparently one of the best in all europe, dont know if its true or not i never went there but it could be fun.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

just one thing, if you are coming for easter, good friday good the pubs, clubs and a lot of resturants will be closed

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,531 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Francis Bacon at The Hugh Lane Gallery should stir your darker Norwegian bean. Exemplarily moody and stirring.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

[SNIPPED - We can't discuss that venue, sorry]

Not much in the way of sports in Dublin in April, but the League of Ireland starts back on the 6th March so there will be a few games on in Dublin in April. If your interested post what dates you'll be over and I'll tell you the matches.;)

I'd recommend everything ZOLTAN28 said aswell.;)

anladmór wrote: »
    do you like art? well the museaum here is apparently one of the best in all europe, dont know if its true or not i never went there but it could be fun.

The National Museum is great for Celtic artifacts and jewellery but very modest standard when it comes to anything else. Still this Celtic stuff is well worth seeing! And if you time it well you may see a demo or two in front of the Dail (parlament) which is next door.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭ZOLTAN28

The Arlington does do an 'Irish Night' every night - three course meal and Irish dancing show for €30.

http://www.arlington.ie/irish-nights.php

I think the dancing itself is free to watch, it's just the dinner you pay for if you want to have a table. The quays Arlington always has these screens outside and tourists in and out. There is also another Arlington in Temple Bar now, or Dame St to be precise. They may have the same offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

Make sure you get to Howth. If the weather is nice take a walk around howth head. You can get the DART from howth out along the coast which is beautiful and very scenic and it goes right through the city centre. Phonix park is also a good place to see, you can rent bikes and cycle around, its the largest enclosed park in Europe. It also contains Dublin Zoo.

Guinness Brewery is also good as well as the Jameson distillery. Hugh lane gallery is good and contains Francis Bacon's studio which is quite facinating. Christ Church Cathedral is nice and well worth a visit, very gothic and facinating to see really.

Botanic Gardens in Galsnevin are also very nice, you can get a bus from the city centre.

Trinity College is lovely, you can go and look at the Book of Kells and have a walk around, full of lovely victorian buildings etc.

If you are willing to travel a little outsie Dublin there are so many things to see such as Glendalough, Newgrange, All sorts. I would advse you go to the tourist information office on suffolk st when you get there. They have everything you need in terms of information.

just one thing, if you are coming for easter, good friday good the pubs, clubs and a lot of resturants will be closed
    Aff, I was afraid of that. Everything's closed in Norway during easter too. :/ I probably have to reconsider when to go then. :S

Hopefully we'll be able to go a bit outside Dublin too. We'll hopefully stay in Dublin for at least a week.

Arlington Hotel seems interesting, I'll probably go there. ^^

Howth surely seems interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭greenman09

Is there an easter sunday commemoration in oconnell st this year. Tanks soldiers etc.

I second the recommendation to see Glendalough - you can take a coach tour there and the glen itself and Wicklow in general are just breathtaking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,833 ✭✭✭✭Armin_Tamzarian

greenman09 wrote: »
    Is there an easter sunday commemoration in oconnell st this year. Tanks soldiers etc.

Well it would be a commemoration if you replaced the word soldiers with 'a couple of blokes' and the word tanks with 'a sheet of paper'.

• Advertisement
Advertisement