Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ads on Daft.ie with no/only one/crap pictures! Grrrrrrrrr!

Options
  • 22-02-2009 7:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭

Just put some decent pics up! Its not that hard.

I actually find ads with only one pic (of the outside of the house usually) the worst. I mean if you can put one pic up, why not put up more? Showing the inside of the house preferably.

There should be a 3 photo minimum. I actually don't contact such ads (unless they sound really good) out of frustration and spite.

Is it just me?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭Heckler

I think its free to post one pic but to add more you have to pay about E20. Probably why lots of places have only one pic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

Nothing free about advertising with daft.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭Tawfee

Most annoying ones are those where the estate agent puts up an image of just their logo & the ad is still listed as having pictures!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

Tawfee wrote: »
    Most annoying ones are those where the estate agent puts up an image of just their logo & the ad is still listed as having pictures!
    I think if you report those ads daft removes the logo, so it's back to its proper 'has no pictures' status, and won't show up in searches of ads with images only.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

Agents and Landlords only shoot themselves in the foot by holding back with pictures.

I don't even bother with those posts on DAFT. I cant see the reason why you would not want people to see the whole property unless there was something to hide.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Eglinton

Agents and Landlords only shoot themselves in the foot by holding back with pictures.

I don't even bother with those posts on DAFT. I cant see the reason why you would not want people to see the whole property unless there was something to hide.

I'm the same. I only ever search for ads with pictures whether I'm looking for real or just browsing prices. In my opinion most ads without pictures are hiding something. More than likely they are just pure muck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

I had a sharing ad up on Daft around the Christmas period.

I was getting no bites with just 2 or 3 standard photos. Folllowing advice here, I put effort into preparing the house and taking a good few photos.

I selected the best and ended up withabout 8 or 9 photos in the ad. It really paid off and the number of calls I recieved increased massively, and I got some-one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Yeah, looking to rent at the moment and this is quite frustrating. I understand there may be still tenants in the house but even still, you would think the landlord would have some photos of the interior.

Check out these 3 beautiful and professional shots :rolleyes:
    www.daft.ie/2679222

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭ohnoigotsick

didn't know about the 1 free photo job with daft. my auctioneer has one photo up of the outside of the house and i have a nice house inside. must take a few snaps and send it into him to put up on daft if it's such a put off

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭MysticalSoul

I didn't know it was such a put off either. As an owner occupier, am not really comfortable putting pics of my home up on the net, so is a case of damned if you do, and damned if you don't. Even though I don't have the apartment number up, would it not increase the likelihood of being broken into?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

Stee wrote: »
    Yeah, looking to rent at the moment and this is quite frustrating. I understand there may be still tenants in the house but even still, you would think the landlord would have some photos of the interior.

www.daft.ie/2679222

Unless it's an alfresco room?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

Stee wrote: »

www.daft.ie/2679222
    I can only assume they are trying to advertise "failsafe IT".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Daft.ie: Claire

Heckler wrote: »
    I think its free to post one pic but to add more you have to pay about E20. Probably why lots of places have only one pic.

Hi all,

It costs €20 to advertise your property to let on Daft.ie
    You can upload up to 10 photographs for a standard ad and the number is unlimited for premium ads.

We strongly recommend you add photographs to your advert.
    If you need any tips or advice, give us a call on 01 421 8700.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

I once viewed an apartment that was advertised as having "a great view over Dublin" but no pics whatsoever.
    When i was there, there was actually 1 spot i could see a bit over Dublin when i was standing on my toes. Being 6'3'' i was probably one of the few lucky ones having that "great" view.
    Apartment itself was just plain dirty and very scarcely furnished.

So that was the last time i bothered about an ad on Daft without pics.
    Also the ones that have pics that are made with some low res phone camera i will not pay attention too. If an owner/agent show so little effort in presenting the property properly i dont even want to think about the effort it will take me to get stuff fixed if something breaks down.

The pics in an ad should already give me the wouldnt-mind-living-there idea before i make the effort of visiting a place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

I always assumed no photos meant the place was a kip...?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

There's an EA in donegal that has all his houses on daft.ie. Each house has one photo of the outside and a description 1 sentence long e.g. 4 bed detached house, 1 unsuite, 2 reception rooms. wonderful views.:rolleyes: Nothing else only contact info.
    I can't understand how none of his vendors haven't complained, especially seen their paying for the advert.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭tfeldi

Problem with the photos is that sometimes they already a few years old or the photos are an example of similar apartments and not from the actual apartment on offer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 coinin_clumhach

I've been looking for decent accommodation for a while now and never go for the ones without pictures, they're so offputting. , although you're allowed 10 pics, you rarely see anyone doing it. I can't understand the logic, especially now when there are so many people looking to fill rooms.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭aquascrotum

Never even look at something with no photos.

Rightly or wrongly (as others have said), the assumption is no photos = something to hide.

I like interior and exterior photos too.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Weyhey

There should be a 3 photo minimum. I actually don't contact such ads (unless they sound really good) out of frustration and spite.

Is it just me?

Definitely not just you. I think most people are the same now.

After viewing over 10 properties in the last few weeks I only search for adverts with photos and I know nearly all prospective tenants are the same. I think no internal photos = kip.

Landlords/ladies - if you have any problems renting out your property and have no photos up I have absolutely no sympathy for you.

I put up a question on daft discussions asking landlords why they don't put up photos and saying that I and many others I know no longer search for properties unless they have them but typical daft wouldn't publish it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

I would just assume that any property without good photos is a kip, and move on; plenty of property available out there, if landlords want to shoot themselves in the head, fine with me.

P.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Even though I don't have the apartment number up, would it not increase the likelihood of being broken into?
    If you included nothing but the gaff, the bedroom, the back garden, and trhe bathroom, you should be fine. The above is what I usually look for. A few people also give a picture of the sitting room, to show the comfy chairs.

Ok, will borrow my brother's digital camera at the weekend, and take some pics. When I was renting myself, I never would have thought that a place was best to avoid unless it had pics...

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Ok, will borrow my brother's digital camera at the weekend, and take some pics. When I was renting myself, I never would have thought that a place was best to avoid unless it had pics...
    Aye, likewise, but when I did it last, daft didn't exist. I plodded across Naas looking at various sh|tholes, until I came across one that was not bad. Had I photos, I would have been able to pick one place, ring them up, and it would have quickened the process.

Also, it'll stop people coming over just to have a look. It'll also ensure those that do ring you about your place know what the place looks like, and maybe have just one or two questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭jessbud

I recently went to view a house to rent which was described as 'in excellent condition' with no photos on the ad. Well as you can imagine it was not in excellent condition, the place was filthy and smelt of damp. How the landlord had the nerve to show it like that is beyond me. I went in with my young son and five month old baby and how he thought I would let my kids live there is unbelievable.

I'll now only respond to ads that have photos, at least my time will not be wasted again.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Had something similar happen myself when looking for a place to rent last year. The landlord and I use that term loosely was some farmer who took pride in showing me his fabulous house he was renting, (his words!!).. light fittings were hanging off the wall, the carpet was coming off the floor in clumps.. the double bed was 2 single beds pushed together with the 2 mattress held together with brown packing tape, I kid you not, and the kitchen sink had green mould growing in it..

I nearly puked when I walked in from the smell.

Add to the fact that he was walking around the house in his sh*te covered wellies and leaving lumps of dirt all over the place didnt help either..

Eventually moved into a place with some mates and when renting out a room we made use of the 10 pics you can put up on daft, had a load of calls in the first week and had the room rented within about 2 weeks of putting up the ad initially.

No idea why estate agents dont put up more pics.. maybe their laziness is showing now as people arent queuing up to buy properties anymore and now they actually have to sell them and make an effort..

Tox

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭NickCarraway

Great to hear this thread is having a positive impact. BTW, you must not have rented in quite a while or else have plenty of time to waste viewing houses with no pics! if you mean replying to ads in the paper, I understand, but the internet has made house hunting so much better. time for everyone to up their game when looking for tenants.

Not that long. Only 3 years since I last rented. However renting out the other room has never been a problem, and there has always been a selection of places in the complex I live in. However with the current climate, a little more effort can surely only help.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭kathy2

I hate daft with a passion.

I cant believe how pure greedy they have become they charge up to €395 for some thing that costs them much less than a Cent.

I am so ashamed of those two lads they take greed and all thats wrong with the celtic tiger to extremes.

Thats my view, having used them from the start.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭andrewh5

I actually find ads with only one pic (of the outside of the house usually) the worst. I mean if you can put one pic up, why not put up more? Showing the inside of the house preferably.

Is it just me?

I fully agree. How do they expect to sell/let the damn places? I wouldn't go to see a property I hadn't seen pics of first.

Why don't people attempt to 'dress' the places as well? Do they have no idea at all?

Advertisement