Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ads on Daft.ie with no/only one/crap pictures! Grrrrrrrrr!

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Eglinton

kathy2 wrote: »
    I hate daft with a passion.

I cant believe how pure greedy they have become they charge up to €395 for some thing that costs them much less than a Cent.

I am so ashamed of those two lads they take greed and all thats wrong with the celtic tiger to extremes.

Thats my view, having used them from the start.

Did they not always charge for lettings and sales? They have to make their money somehow.

I assume it's still free to advertise a for a housemate/room mate?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

kathy2 wrote: »
    I hate daft with a passion.

I cant believe how pure greedy they have become they charge up to €395 for some thing that costs them much less than a Cent.

I am so ashamed of those two lads they take greed and all thats wrong with the celtic tiger to extremes.

Thats my view, having used them from the start.

I thought it was 195 for sales, or 20 for rentals, and that you could leave the ad up indefinitely for that price? That's hardly a rip off considering the amounts of money involved, is it?
    (Does 395 cover some special service?, I've never advertised with them myself)

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Assets Model

Never even look at something with no photos.

Rightly or wrongly (as others have said), the assumption is no photos = something to hide.

I like interior and exterior photos too.

Well then you miss out on a great flat like the one I just got. All the cheapest ones don't have photos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭NickCarraway

Well then you miss out on a great flat like the one I just got. All the cheapest ones don't have photos.

Depends on your definition of "great". If they are so great why don't they have pics or a higher rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

I'm currently selling my late Mum's house in D13 on daft with only one pic, so I guess I'm guilty as charged.

However, my reasoning for doing this was that I stripped the insides of the house out and I priced to sell accordingly.

Maybe it's the time of year, or the economic climate, but I'm having feck-all success with daft with only a handful of views per day. If it keeps up then I'll just go to an estate agent.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Eglinton

I'm currently selling my late Mum's house in D13 on daft with only one pic, so I guess I'm guilty as charged.

However, my reasoning for doing this was that I stripped the insides of the house out and I priced to sell accordingly.

Maybe it's the time of year, or the economic climate, but I'm having feck-all success with daft with only a handful of views per day. If it keeps up then I'll just go to an estate agent.

I'd imagine it's the economic climate. I doubt there are too many people willing to buy a 'stripped down' house with a view to refurbishing at the moment; be they either cautious or unable to get funding.

I don't think an Estate Agent is the answer to your prayers. You could either 'sit it out' or put more effort into your ad.

Personally I would be much more inclined to search online than go to an Estate Agent. All an Estate Agent will do for you now is put it up on daft! (And take a sizable percentage :cool:)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Eglinton wrote: »
    I'd imagine it's the economic climate. I doubt there are too many people willing to buy a 'stripped down' house with a view to refurbishing at the moment; be they either cautious or unable to get funding.
    In fairness, by stripped down, I mean bare rooms. I'm sorry, but if I could could have integrated the smell of baking bread into the pics, then I would have tried.

As I said, I priced the house to sell, another house a couple of doors up has been on the market for 100K more for the last six months without anyone biting.

An estate agent will put a sign up and stick it on myhome.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

In my experience no pics= inside needs major "modernisation" as they call it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭NickCarraway

In fairness, by stripped down, I mean bare rooms. I'm sorry, but if I could could have integrated the smell of baking bread into the pics, then I would have tried.

As I said, I priced the house to sell, another house a couple of doors up has been on the market for 100K more for the last six months without anyone biting.

An estate agent will put a sign up and stick it on myhome.ie.

Well perhaps not the smell of baking bread, but have you considered dressing the house? Just some furniture (borrowed or rented) and a few other minor decorative touches to suggest how the house might look when occupied. People viewing houses can be remarkably short-sighted and things have to literally be spelled out for them (this is the lounge, this is where the sofa would go etc).
    Even if you don't want to do this, why not post a few pics of the bare interior. Just to say these are the rooms, note the size and light, note the ceiling are not falling down with damp, there isn't an outline of a human body on the bathroom floor etc.

Also, the smell of freshly made coffee is easier to replicate than baking bread and quite appealing (even to non-coffee drinkers).

In the current market you need to go the extra mile to sell.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

Have to agree with OP. Have been searching for new place to rent the last while and am moving into a new place on Monday :)

Funny thing is that there were ads with no pictures that where cheaper to rent than the place I finally went to view and paid deposit on that had a picture.

In my book no pics = waste of time going to view / kip

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Zippie84

/.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭MelonieHead

I agree 100%. I used to work for an estate agency and they really didn't grasp just how important the pictures are. A lot of people choose to filter their search results to only show places that include pictures.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Feathers

Yeah, you do end up wasting a lot of time otherwise. For the 1 gem that doesn't have pictures that'd you'd miss, there's 2,000 kips that'd you'd waste your time in.

Another thing that gets me - looking at houses in Maynooth: there's one that has an address of 'Kilkock, Maynooth, Co. Kildare'; another has 'Kilcloon (actualy in Meath....), Maynooth, Co. Kildare. :mad:This wrecks my head - if it's not in Maynooth they should be banned for time-wasting - if I wanted to browse places near to Maynooth, that's what I would have searched for!

Any way to report these time wasters?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 MrBill

Couldn't agree more. People who fail to put up pictures on daft are among the worst scum in the world. The ones with pictures can be bad enough:

Wall to wall bathroom tiles both in and outside the bathroom! Sh1te furniture from me granny's shed!

The worst ever was when some retard posted two pictures. Both were views from the balcony.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

I just found our old apartment on there, they're using the same photos they used last year.

Which is a pity because it looks nicer now after we arranged the furniture properly and everything.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭NewFrockTuesday

Ste.phen wrote: »
    I thought it was 195 for sales, or 20 for rentals, and that you could leave the ad up indefinitely for that price? That's hardly a rip off considering the amounts of money involved, is it?
    (Does 395 cover some special service?, I've never advertised with them myself)
    I cant find it on search (lazy mood today), but I remember a thread on their pricing hikes. I think something laong the lines of pemium used to be 10 quid odd...maybe less, I cant rem, but now its jumped way up this last year. A reply was requested from them but was never forthcoming explaining why it was hiked so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

As someone else has said; if they don't put pics up in this age of cheap digital camera, it's obvious they have something to hide, so think of it as a handy filter.

P.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

oceanclub wrote: »
    As someone else has said; if they don't put pics up in this age of cheap digital camera, it's obvious they have something to hide, so think of it as a handy filter.

P.
    If looking for places for people, I use the "photos only" filter, as I don't see why someone should have to walk across the city to find out how crap the place is.

Advertisement