Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aupair in Callan, looking for friends

Options
  • 22-02-2009 7:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hello!

My name is Lisa, I'm 19 years old and from Germany. Since the 13th of January I'm living in Callan and work there as an Aupair.
    I'm a bit bored, by sitting in the house the whole day, and that's why I'm looking for people to meet :)

Lisa

P.S.: I hope my English is not that worse :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭highgiant1985

hi Lisa your english is perfect, welcome to kilkenny first of all :P if you wanted to you could post what your interests are and some people here might be able to recommend things you can do to get to know people, e.g. movies - theres a movie club in town, and sports e.g. tennis - the tennis club etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Lisa0508

Hey!

Thank you very much for your answer!
    Hmm...my interests...

I'm not really sporty ;) so hurling wouldn't be the best idea :o

Besides sport, I nearly do everything ;) I like watching movies, reading books, singing, and just talking to níce, friendly irish people ;))

I know a bit difficult ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

Lisa0508 wrote: »
    Hey!

Thank you very much for your answer!
    Hmm...my interests...

I'm not really sporty ;) so hurling wouldn't be the best idea :o

Besides sport, I nearly do everything ;) I like watching movies, reading books, singing, and just talking to níce, friendly irish people ;))

I know a bit difficult ;)
    I hope you drink or your going to find it hard in Kilkenny!

No, I don't drink, but I like the atmosphere in pubs in Ireland very much :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Purry Cat

Lisa, far from your English being "not that worse", it's far better than that of most people here!

Can understand you being bored in Callan alright...

• Advertisement

Hi!
    Thanks for all the answers!
    Does anybody know, is there a choir or a singing group in Kilkenny?
    Does anybody have eperiences with the pubs in Callan? I don't dare just going in and have an look...:o

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭jiggajt

Hi!
    Thanks for all the answers!
    Does anybody know, is there a choir or a singing group in Kilkenny?

There's the Kilkenny choir in the city:

http://www.kilkennyschoolofmusic.com/kilkenny_choir.htm

They mainly do large classical works.

Then there's the kilkenny gospel choir:

http://www.kilkennygospelchoir.net/

They're both quite good and fun. I used to be in the kilkenny choir when they did Brahms' requiem and it was good craic. It is mainly older people though.
    The gospel choir seems like good fun too and i think the standard is pretty good.

Oh thank you for the internetsites!
    I would love to join in the kilkenny choir, but they meet at 20 o'clock and the Bus is only driving on 18.15 and 21.15, and my work finishes at 18.40 :(
    But thank you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭jiggajt

Oh thank you for the internetsites!
    I would love to join in the kilkenny choir, but they meet at 20 o'clock and the Bus is only driving on 18.15 and 21.15, and my work finishes at 18.40 :(
    But thank you :)

You should call them anyway. From what i remember there was people from callan in the choir and they may be willing to give you a lift.

Hey that's a good idea! That would be really great!
    Thanks very much, at least I'll try it ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Purry Cat wrote: »
    Can understand you being bored in Callan alright...

Callan's not so bad as small towns go, sure if your living their you really need a car to get around but thats true to pretty much all small towns. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Loveless

If you like foreign films the Kilkenny cinema club is on tomorrow night in the beautiful surroundings of Kilkenny Castle:
    http://www.kilkennyfilmclub.com/Site/Season_Four.html

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Loveless wrote: »
    If you like foreign films the Kilkenny cinema club is on tomorrow night in the beautiful surroundings of Kilkenny Castle:
    http://www.kilkennyfilmclub.com/Site/Season_Four.html

So they put up a screen within the grounds?
    Man On Wire might be worth seeing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Loveless

not quite ;) it's in the very modern 'Tower on the right hand side as you walk in the main Castle gates. Yes seen 'Man On Wire', it's very good - won an Oscar sunday night for Best Documentary. Looking forward to seeing "Persepolis" there next month...

Other activity suggestions: archery in St. Patrick's sports hall on the Kells Road, Thursday night at 8PM.

Hi Lisa
    There's a nice hill-walking club in kilkenny which walks in the mountains on Sundays, the contact number is 056 7765835 and i know there are a couple of members from Callan who might give you a lift. Very friendly and the walks are not overly strenuous. If you ring that number and ask for Paschal he will give you all the details. Good luck and welcome to Kilkenny:).

inthehat wrote: »
    Hi Lisa
    There's a nice hill-walking club in kilkenny which walks in the mountains on Sundays, the contact number is 056 7765835 and i know there are a couple of members from Callan who might give you a lift. Very friendly and the walks are not overly strenuous. If you ring that number and ask for Paschal he will give you all the details. Good luck and welcome to Kilkenny:).

I've been on one or two outings, the people are easy going and the walks are long but easy enough going so its worth looking into if your into walking.

Sadly for me most of my weekends are taken up with stuff and I don't get to get out as much as I'd like to...been a few months now infact :(

Advertisement