Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Names

Options
  • 22-02-2009 9:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭

As most of you know, we are expecting a baby girl in May. We are having a nightmare trying to find a name and would like suggestions from you guys.

Are there names traditionally from Sligo or North West that you wouldn't find anywhere else in Ireland?

Look forward to your suggestions! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

Aww!

Maebh (I love this name), Maeve, (or May-ve for Mr T!)
    Grainne

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Brian! No wait, Briana!

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭snowdaze

I know someone from Galway who called their little girl Gaillimh:D

I don't know if Sligeach has quite such a nice ring to it....

Caoimhe is lovely..

(queeva)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Big_Mac

Not Irish, but I like Lexi.

We used Alannagh (Pron alana). The spelling is different to what it normally is,

Sarah is also nice

• Registered Users Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

Hannah

Erin

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Sweet Cheeks

Big_Mac wrote: »
    Not Irish, but I like Lexi.

We used Alannagh (Pron alana). The spelling is different to what it normally is,

Sarah is also nice

I like Lexi, not sure about Sarah - imo Sarah, Emily, Claire and Jennifer are possibly the most boring names on the planet.Give me a Maebh, Mabh, Ailbhe, Saor or even Pocahontas any day! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭darealtulip

oi remember the dutch side!! how do you pronounce the last ones?;) I really like the irish names though! keep them coming!!

Aibhe (Ava)

Caoilfhoinn is pretty. (Key-lin Mr T)

Of course the nicest Irish name is Roisin, (fada over the last "I") pronounced Row-sheen (in our house, more northern people say Rosh-een).

Orlaith (Pron Orla)
    Sinéad (Shinade)
    Siobhán
    Catriona
    Tara
    Megan
    Kate
    Roisin
    Lynsey
    Jessica
    Nicola
    Helen
    Simone
    Samantha
    Ciara
    Laura
    Donna
    Elaine
    Mary-Therese
    Gabrielle
    Kelly
    Rachel
    Amanda
    Geraldine
    Fiona

Enough?

What do we get if we win?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

Caoilfhoinn sounds like that medicine you used to get for the squits (kaolin and morphine).:o
    Grainne sounds like some kind of injury (I think).
    Hubby said if we had another girl we'd call her Blaithnad....yeah right:eek:

Did you just post a list of names from your old school? Simone, Nicola, Helen?? What part of Ireland are they from? Cricklewood?!

Did you just post a list of names from your old school? Simone, Nicola, Helen?? What part of Ireland are they from? Cricklewood?!
    pmsl:D

magnumlady wrote: »
    Caoilfhoinn sounds like that medicine you used to get for the squits (kaolin and morphine).:o

You've just ruined that name. 4eva.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭muffler

And if you cant find a name here then just call her Mary

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

Jacinta.
    Jordan.
    Shaneesha. ??? Something like that.

These are all Sligo (town) names. Very traditional.

I got caught once with the er.. authentic names thing. I'd be messing with my daughter calling her "Shanika, come in for yer teeeea" etc. Until we met a real Shanika (sp...? lol). :o

Well, throw enough mud and some if its bound to stick
    pmsl:D

Who's who with the what now?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭takola

Please, for the love of God, don't call her Shania.

I remember walking through tesco arcade one day a couple of years ago and seeing this woman running around after a toddler who was having none of it, screaming "Shania!" at the top of her voice. Now just think of how awful that name sounds in general, and then add the sligo accent? It was painful! :(

Have to be honest, I'm not a fan of Irish girl names. There are some lovely boys names but the girls names do nothing for me.

I like Aoibheann (pronounced A-veen for Mr T). Ava is nice too. And Anna.

My OH named our (unborn as of yet!) children Kieran and Aaralyn. I really like the names but I know I'll end up regretting Aaralyn when it's turned into Arlene by the bloody Limerick accent! :( (That is of course, if the babies ever make an appearance!)

Personally, I think you should both go with Amy. You just won't find a better name than that. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭Mrs.T

Guys, I knew we'd get loads of suggestions from you all. Thank you! Muffler, what a list! Thank you!
    Why is it so difficult to name a child?! :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Mrs.T wrote: »
    Guys, I knew we'd get loads of suggestions from you all. Thank you! Muffler, what a list! Thank you!

It's not for some Mrs. T! And that's when the child could end up being called anything! Take your time on it!

*I think Gillie is a nice name :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

My friend has an unusual name - it's not from Sligo but you probably haven't found it in any baby book.

She's of Scottish descent as well, Mrs T. Her name is Jalyn. I think it's really pretty :)

• Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Because its not just for Xmas - its for life :)

Does anyone here like their own name?
    I hate mine, my daughter hates hers...or maybe is a girl thing.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭jimmmy

Aibhe (Ava)

Caoilfhoinn is pretty.

Beauty is obviously in the eye of the beholder. Besides, imagine trying to spell that for everyone when abroad .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭Mrs.T

I don't like my proper name but do like it's abbreviated version. I think it's because I can still hear my Mum shouting my proper name when I was a bit naughty (which was most of the time ;))

I don't like my proper name but do like it's abbreviated version. I think it's because I can still hear my Mum shouting my proper name when I was a bit naughty (which was most of the time ;))

Not a fan of my own name either. Middle name isn't great either. At least you could always use that as a backup if you needed to

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

I like all my names:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Sweet Cheeks

gustavo wrote: »
    I like all my names:pac:

As do I!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭fozzle

*raises hand* I have the most boring name on the planet. Tried to get people to use my middle name but it didn't stick so now most of my friends call me fozzle.

Hmmm, names for Mrs T and darealtulip........(with pronounciantions)
    Gráinne (graw-nya)
    Shauna (shaw-na)
    Caoibhín (cwee-veen)
    Bláithín (blaw-heen, means little flower afaik)
    Maebh (may-v) is an obvious one given the area, but as a holder of a common name I can tell you that the last thing you want is half the street answering when your mum calls your name.....

You'd never know, when she arrives all your bright ideas might dissappear and you might call her something completely different!

Advertisement