Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Names

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭Jabby

Mrs.T wrote: »
    As most of you know, we are expecting a baby girl in May. We are having a nightmare trying to find a name and would like suggestions from you guys.

Are there names traditionally from Sligo or North West that you wouldn't find anywhere else in Ireland?

Look forward to your suggestions! :)

Yawn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭Mrs.T

Jabby wrote: »
    Yawn.

Is that a suggestion or were you tired?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 441 ✭✭Kieo

eibhlin
    eiryn
    shannon
    clodagha
    kayden
    tara
    kayleigh
    lily

just a few of my faves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Big_Mac

fozzle wrote: »

You'd never know, when she arrives all your bright ideas might dissappear and you might call her something completely different!

+1 on this

We had settled on Amy before the baby was born. We both liked it. When I seen the baby I was gutted. She didn't look like an Amy, and I couldn't face tellin my oh, Thankfully she looked at her and said that she didn't look like an Amy either. Took us a while to settle on Alannagh. was baby no name for about 5 days

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Jabby wrote: »
    Yawn.

Jabby, this isn't afterhours.

Cop on, and get the chip off your shoulder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

Big_Mac wrote: »
    +1 on this

We had settled on Amy before the baby was born. We both liked it. When I seen the baby I was gutted. She didn't look like an Amy, and I couldn't face tellin my oh, Thankfully she looked at her and said that she didn't look like an Amy either. Took us a while to settle on Alannagh. was baby no name for about 5 days

Same here with both of ours. Son was to be called Matthew but he didn't look like one...so he was called Sprout for about a week until we settled on Jonathan.

Took one look at daughter and named her Lucy, hubby didn't get a say on that one at all (too right as I did all the hard work:rolleyes:) Mind you she hates her name.:(

I think Lucy is a lovely name :)

It sounds very nice in French as well (which is a prerequisite for our future childrens' names)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭fozzle

Xiney wrote: »

It sounds very nice in French as well (which is a prerequisite for our future childrens' names)

Silly Canadians ;)

But that's a good point. I dunno is darealtulip still has a Dutch accent, but make sure the names you're thinking of don't sound awful in a Dutch accent!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

Xiney wrote: »

Say Lucy in a French accent... Loo-ceee (men swoon, women sneer...)

Say it in a Sligo accent.... Leuuuuuwcie (men and women check for their wallets)

The girl has a point ML, has she a middle name you could use? :D

/Only joking Lucy, it really is a lovely name. :)

Mr T speaks with a lovely Scottish accent with a little hint of Dutch. When we were looking for our boy's name, I loved the name Murdo but when Mr T said it, it sounded awful, it only sounded nice in a Scottish accent. We picked Finn for our wee man before he was born and luckily he suited it

I like the name Allanagh but unfortunately doesn't go with our surname.

I'm going to write all the names down on a bit of paper and choose one out of the hat ;). Thanks guys for your suggestions! By the way, our wee man thinks we should call her "Bum Bum" What do ye think?.....:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

Bum Bum is a perfect name,I love it)

I was meant to be a Ruth but I didn't come out looking like a Ruth,so they called me Mark.

My mom says I would have been Fabian if I'd been a boy :eek:

(My dad assures me he would have campaigned long and hard for Étienne [Steven] but dear lord! Fabian! Might as well tattoo "Kick Me" on my forehead!)

No middle name....I don't believe in them (which I suppose means she can choose her own).
    Lucy not helped by the fact that her dad on occasion calls her Loo seat...bloody men:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭darealtulip

magnumlady wrote: »
    No middle name....I don't believe in them (which I suppose means she can choose her own).
    Lucy not helped by the fact that her dad on occasion calls her Loo seat...bloody men:rolleyes:

that's what you get if you dont give him a say with choosing the name!:D

that's what you get if you dont give him a say with choosing the name!:D

considering he likes the name Blaithnaid (pronounced Blon head...or something like that) I'm glad I didn't:D

• Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭muffler

bobcar61 wrote: »
    Bum Bum is a perfect name,I love it)

I was meant to be a Ruth but I didn't come out looking like a Ruth,so they called me Mark.
    Something you are trying to tell us? ;)

magnumlady wrote: »
    considering he likes the name Blaithnaid (pronounced Blon head...or something like that) I'm glad I didn't:D

fair point!

Thought of another name inwork today (so busy!) Aoise pronounced Ee-sha.

fozzle wrote: »
    Thought of another name inwork today (so busy!) Aoise pronounced Ee-sha.

I hereby nominate Fozzle for first internet God Mother. She has shown her dedication to the cause.

Am just back from Disney, so my opinion may be off-center, but I suggest...TINKERBELLE!

Ooooh, pretty name! Aoise - NOT Tinkerbelle (sorry TMB!). Thank you for still thinking about our cause! Only 8 weeks left :eek:

• Advertisement

8 weeks!

That's so soon! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

Paula.

After the great scouser, Paul Cook.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Essexboy

Aideen, Sheena, Niamh, Emer for starters and are all good Irish names,.

Maeve, of course, is historically associated with Sligo - her tomb is on Knockarea.
    Constance from Countess Markievicz (not very keen on it personally)

Names I hate (and not associated with Sligo) - Edel and Majella. Should not be inflicted on any child. ;)

Paula.

After the great scouser, Paul Cook.

really good name, dont think it will go with Mrs T though:(

I hereby nominate Fozzle for first internet God Mother. She has shown her dedication to the cause.

Am just back from Disney, so my opinion may be off-center, but I suggest...TINKERBELLE!

*does the Internet God Mother dance*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

What about Jaden?
    I was watching Eastenders this afternoon and the credits came on and the writers name was Jaden.
    Dont ask me how to pronounce it or its origins or anything but its kinda unusual.

Damn,just remembered you're having a girl Mrs.T....my bad:(

really good name, dont think it will go with Mrs T though:(

You thought right! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

bobcar61 wrote: »
    What about Jaden?
    I was watching Eastenders this afternoon and the credits came on and the writers name was Jaden.
    Dont ask me how to pronounce it or its origins or anything but its kinda unusual.

Damn,just remembered you're having a girl Mrs.T....my bad:(

Think it rhymes with maiden. Isn't one of Britney Spears children called Jaden? That's what it makes me think of anyway :D

What about Iseult for a girl? (eez-ult)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isolde

Sounds like something Mr T would shout at the telly when his team wins.. EEZ-ULT! :D

• Advertisement

Sounds like something Mr T would shout at the telly when his team wins.. EEZ-ULT! :D

Haha LOL!! not that my team wins a lot lately, never seen them so low! lucky rovers are doing good!

Advertisement