Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Names

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

I really like Iseult.

It's like Isolde, which is one of my favourite names ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

I would stay away from some of the more "unusual", "traditional" names names. There's books of these ancient Irish names with spurious explanations and translations. Many of them are clearly modern concoctions with sound vaguely Irish. I suppose if a name is nice, who cares, but don't pick anything "strange" believing it means "caring, beautiful and intelligent" as it more than likely won't.
    Somebody mentioned Caoibhín(Caoimhin?) That's Irish for Kevin so a big no no for a girl. The teacher will translate as soon as she starts school. A couple I know called their daughter Naoise. A relative suggested it as a boy's name, but they decided it was fine for a girl. Not so sure about that one.
    There's loads of nice names without resorting to random arrangements of letters. Welsh names like Imogen and Bronwyn, French like Jacqueline, Julitte or Amélie(Amelia). Or names common in Ireland until the 20th centuary like Ellen, Eleanor, Molly(pet name of Mary/Margaret), Isabel, Susannah etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭darealtulip

il gatto wrote: »
    I would stay away from some of the more "unusual", "traditional" names names. There's books of these ancient Irish names with spurious explanations and translations. Many of them are clearly modern concoctions with sound vaguely Irish. I suppose if a name is nice, who cares, but don't pick anything "strange" believing it means "caring, beautiful and intelligent" as it more than likely won't.
    Somebody mentioned Caoibhín(Caoimhin?) That's Irish for Kevin so a big no no for a girl. The teacher will translate as soon as she starts school. A couple I know called their daughter Naoise. A relative suggested it as a boy's name, but they decided it was fine for a girl. Not so sure about that one.
    There's loads of nice names without resorting to random arrangements of letters. Welsh names like Imogen and Bronwyn, French like Jacqueline, Julitte or Amélie(Amelia). Or names common in Ireland until the 20th centuary like Ellen, Eleanor, Molly(pet name of Mary/Margaret), Isabel, Susannah etc.

thanks for that, we want a Irish name because the surname is dutch. Or at least some name irish people can pronounce as soon as they read it. Our boy is called Finn. We just discovered that it is the 15th most popular name in Holland!! How about that? I do like a lot of the traditional Irish names but we probaly would go voor the modern spelling so all the dutch people can write it too. Naming a kid is very difficult imo and you can make a kids life hell at school if you do it wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

thanks for that, we want a Irish name because the surname is dutch. Or at least some name irish people can pronounce as soon as they read it. Our boy is called Finn. We just discovered that it is the 15th most popular name in Holland!! How about that? I do like a lot of the traditional Irish names but we probaly would go voor the modern spelling so all the dutch people can write it too. Naming a kid is very difficult imo and you can make a kids life hell at school if you do it wrong.

Eibhlín or Aibhilín is nice. If she decides she doesn't like it, she can use the English form, Evelyn. Treasa (pronounced Trassa) is the Irish version of Theresa. Bronagh is another nice name. And Caoimhe. Don't think there's any direct translation for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Big_Mac

il gatto wrote: »
    Eibhlín or Aibhilín is nice. If she decides she doesn't like it, she can use the English form, Evelyn. Treasa (pronounced Trassa) is the Irish version of Theresa. Bronagh is another nice name. And Caoimhe. Don't think there's any direct translation for them.

Never liked bronagh myself. Reminds me of sad things, considering Brón is the irish for sad or sorry

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭Jabby

http://www.yeahbaby.com/

Have we not decided yet? You will surely find something here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭darealtulip

no we still havn't decided yet, so keep it coming! thaks for the website jabby. And the comments are a big help too

• Registered Users Posts: 15 lunasa_lady

My fav girls names are Aoife & Meadhbh......... :)

Advertisement