Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Useless lanlord

Options
  • 22-02-2009 9:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭

Im renting a property 8 months now (1 year lease) I have had nothing but problems with the place no washing machine for a month, no bizzer for undergroundcar park for 3 weeks and no leaking toilet and water pipe noise really loud every single day, all but the last complaint have been resolved, i told my landlord that i am moving out and he hasnt stuck to the lease agreement as the apartment is unsuiable to live in, i have slept properly in week, so therfore would be moving out on Friday and that he can hold the deposit as last months rent, he then of course wants to organise a plumber to come and fix problems but at this stage its to late, its been nearly 2 months since i notified him of the problem. He has just called up the property 10 mins ago and demand i let him in or he'll go to the police... so i rang them and they said its a civil problem so they cant do anything, but he keeps ringing the doorbell so ive rang them back and they said they would send a car up.....

Has my landlord any rights here, I've looked it up and it seem he doesnt really, I will ring PRTB in the morning but if anyone hasany info i'd appreciate it.....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

Im renting a property 8 months now (1 year lease) I have had nothing but problems with the place no washing machine for a month, no bizzer for undergroundcar park for 3 weeks and no leaking toilet and water pipe noise really loud every single day, all but the last complaint have been resolved, i told my landlord that i am moving out and he hasnt stuck to the lease agreement as the apartment is unsuiable to live in, i have slept properly in week, so therfore would be moving out on Friday and that he can hold the deposit as last months rent, he then of course wants to organise a plumber to come and fix problems but at this stage its to late, its been nearly 2 months since i notified him of the problem. He has just called up the property 10 mins ago and demand i let him in or he'll go to the police... so i rang them and they said its a civil problem so they cant do anything, but he keeps ringing the doorbell so ive rang them back and they said they would send a car up.....

Has my landlord any rights here, I've looked it up and it seem he doesnt really, I will ring PRTB in the morning but if anyone hasany info i'd appreciate it.....

Hi, sounds like an awful situation you're in there.

By the sounds of things it seems like your landlord has not only acted outside the terms of the lease but illegally to boot. Firstly, a landlord must provide adequate notice before they intend to visit the property.

Your landlord is only allowed to enter your home with your permission. If the landlord needs to carry out repairs or inspect the premises, it should be by prior arrangement, except in an emergency.

To play devils advocate however, you could have really instigated a move out of there long ago. 8 months is a long time to live with such bad service. 1 month without a washing machine!! Our washing machine broke before and we gave the landlord 2days to fix it or we would be withholding the rent and logging a complaint with the PRTB, it got fixed. You need to talk tough with landlords, especially now OP. Your landlords behavior at the moment should seriously undermine any case that he might have when a complaint is logged with the PRTB.

On a side not OP, is your landlord registered with the PRTB. He may not want to deal through them if he is not registered (tax purposes!!)

I'm a seasoned renter and I've made tough Landlords back down in the past, I get very annoyed reading such posts as many landlords amount to nothing but old fashioned bullies who prey especially on foreign nationals.

P.S. If the police arrive, try obtain a report detailing the Landlords aggressive and threatening behavior.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭scorpioishere

Dnt pay him any money. He have to do all the maintenance that the apartment need. You are not an animal to be living in these conditions. If i was in your place i would have teach him a lesson.

Do you know what i did to my landlord one day... We had the washing machine broken. I phoned him and told him the problem. he said he was going to contact a plumber. After 1 week nothing, so i rang him again. Two weeks nothing. Then by that time we needed him to coem and cut the lawn which he always did.

Three weeks no plumber, so i contacted somebody who came and fixed it for 60 euros, then i got somebody to cut the lawn and took 40 euros for that.

I paid it and at the end of the month i deducted the amount from my rent due to him. When he checked his account at the end of the month, he said that i owe him money. I said how much and he said 100 euros. I said to him that i got a plumber to fix the machine and somebody to cut the grass.

I told him that i can't wait all my life for him to get a plumber. he was so angry with the amount i spend and told me to do not do that again. I said to him, well you have to take care of the needs of your tenants rather than getting money from them.

I left the next month after because he was so useless, lazy and ignorant. All he wanted was renting and getting money.

I sill can't understand why people here are so obsessed by getting easy money rather than working.

Advertisement