Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

one lens to rule them all...

• 22-02-2009 10:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭

mods sorry if this has been done before i done a quick search and found nothing.

so if you only had the choice of having one lens to use for the rest of your life guys and gals, what would it be?

canon/nikon/sigma/tamron/everything else included.

also can you give a reason behind you pick, and also try not to disprove or approve a previous posters pick we are all individuals :pac:

I haven't used enough lenses to be able to pick but hopefully that will change when i finish college :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

Canon 24-70/2.8L USM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭quilmore

NIKON 24-70mm F/2.8 AF-S N

superb in every way you can measure it, very versatile and standard 77mm filters
    Nanocoating means no CA or internal reflections, only in its class

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

Canon 24-105L IS
    Great on Full Frame, covers wide and zoom.
    Great all round lens and IS is excellent.
    and if I was allowed to pick a 2nd 100-400L IS. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

On full frame, the 24-70 2.8L (Canon), followed closely by the 50mm 1.4, and in 3rd place, the 135 f/2.

On the cropped sensor, the 17-55 2.8 IS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

85mm f1.2, most used lens and capable of doing anything I can throw at it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Overblood

Fajitas! wrote: »

On the cropped sensor, the 17-55 2.8 IS.

Is the 17-55 really that good? I'm looking for "the one" to bring with me when travelling later on the year.

Oh yes.

Big time.

All it's missing is the build quality of the 24-70, and it'd be an L lens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

70-200mm f/2.8 IS L.

Great for portraits, great for sport, great in low light, great quality lens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 615 ✭✭✭rahtkennades

...we are all individuals :pac:

I'm not! :pac:

I'd be taking a 50mm lens (f/1.4) if I could afford it, assuming it was on a full frame camera (assuming I could afford one!).

There's a lot of assumptions there, but basically it's what I started with on film, it's a great focal length (assuming you 'zoom with your feet'), great for low light and with allows really shallow depth of field.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Overblood

Fajitas! wrote: »
    Oh yes.

Big time.

All it's missing is the build quality of the 24-70, and it'd be an L lens.

I'm looking at a few pics of it and it seems huge. Is it a bulky yoke?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Balances well with a grip, but it is heavy

Smaller than a 24-70, suitably big to use 2.8 with an IS motor, and comfortable to use. Bring a 50 1.8 (Or faster) if you can for the real low light stuff if you fancy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

Nikkor 17-35 2.8 :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 544 ✭✭✭SBPhoto

Canon 70-200/2.8L IS. Just love the quality this lens produces, even wide open.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,113 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Olympus Zuiko 35-80mm f2.8

I am not a fan of zooms, but this one has superior performance to pretty much all the Zuiko primes that fall within its range, so I replaced them with this lens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 479 ✭✭Cameraman

Canon 24-70/2.8L USM

Reason - it's good enough and versatile enough to cover most everyday photography. Good zoom range, wide enough aperture.

I don't actually own one though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

I only use 3 lenses anyway! Feck cutting down to one :D

My 24-70 and 70-200 really are getting the same amount of use lately... couldn't choose between 'em!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

I only use 3 lenses anyway! Feck cutting down to one :D

My 24-70 and 70-200 really are getting the same amount of use lately... couldn't choose between 'em!
    love the way you purposely didn't mention your 3rd lens as it's obvious as to what it is :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

50mm f/1.8 :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭duffarama

cnocbui wrote: »
    Olympus Zuiko 35-80mm f2.8

I am not a fan of zooms, but this one has superior performance to pretty much all the Zuiko primes that fall within its range, so I replaced them with this lens.

That is probably the best lens they ever made... :eek:

When did you get it and how much did it cost you?? I was contemplating buying one on ebay about a year but the price went far above what I could afford at the time very quickly!

For me though, it's the Olympus Zuiko 12-60mm F2.8-4 fast focussing and superb through the zoom range, it's rarely off my camera.

• Advertisement
Advertisement