Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Super Sweet Sixteen..

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

I refuse to watch such tripe!

You're lucky you have that option! In some underdeveloped countries people would be forced to watch tv shows like this at gunpoint, except for the fact that these shows don't exist yet in those countries because they are still too underdeveloped.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

So the father runs a chipper business! ha class

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

Pigman II wrote: »
    :confused:

Thats right, you heard me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

Wtf? Sweet 16 Kilkenny. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

Ireland has the highest concentration of private helicopter ownership in Ireland

:D

edit: Pigman II already pointed this out

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Ireland has the highest concentration of private helicopter ownership in Ireland,

Go way, ya serious lol

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

seanybiker wrote: »
    Go way, ya serious lol

Well, it's a true statement all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

Ruu wrote: »
    Great, they'll have a boards account shortly now. :mad:

Shes already banned from the Kilkenny forum IIRC, or maybe it was her friend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 titwank

I thought they all came across quite well. They seemed sweet and not too demanding or bitchy. and I think they looked nice too. I think most people are being way to harsh and a lot of it has to do with youth and jealousy. the quicker you learn to accept yourselves, your family and what you have been given. The happier and easier your life will be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 711 ✭✭✭who007

titwank wrote: »
    I thought they all came across quite well. They seemed sweet and not too demanding or bitchy. and I think they looked nice too. I think most people are being way to harsh and a lot of it has to do with youth and jealousy. the quicker you learn to accept yourselves, your family and what you have been given. The happier and easier your life will be.

blah blah blah! I can't believe that in the current state of the country; with people struggling to hold on to jobs and cope with unemployment, where the likes of the ESB put up their bills by 20% and then get pay rises, where banks are crumbling and people's house and home values are crumbling, that the likes of this sh1te is broadcast about selfish whiney little teenagers who are pampered by their parents. They should be made take a good hard look around themselves and made to accept themselves, their families and what they have been given and feckin appreciate the feckin things instead of wanting to be better than the kid next door. F***in **** *******!!!s

• Advertisement

who007 wrote: »
    blah blah blah! I can't believe that in the current state of the country; with people struggling to hold on to jobs and cope with unemployment, where the likes of the ESB put up their bills by 20% and then get pay rises, where banks are crumbling and people's house and home values are crumbling, that the likes of this sh1te is broadcast about selfish whiney little teenagers who are pampered by their parents. They should be made take a good hard look around themselves and made to accept themselves, their families and what they have been given and feckin appreciate the feckin things instead of wanting to be better than the kid next door. F***in **** *******!!!s

I really fail to see the connection here between some wealthy teenagers enjoying themselves by throwing a party for themselves and their friends and the 'current state of the country'. Are we to blame them for the economic crisis? Hardly. That makes no sense at all. and I really didn't think they whined too much at all, in fact the only thing that she seemed perturbed over was doing the dance, which is a requirement of the programme part of the 'format'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

Asmodean wrote: »
    So the father runs a chipper business! ha class

Not a chipper...a mid range Italian Restaurant.

I really fail to see the connection here between some wealthy teenagers enjoying themselves by throwing a party for themselves and their friends and the 'current state of the country'. Are we to blame them for the economic crisis? Hardly. That makes no sense at all. and I really didn't think they whined too much at all, in fact the only thing that she seemed perturbed over was doing the dance, which is a requirement of the programme part of the 'format'

Wealthy teenagers can go do what they want I suppose but it's sticks in my craw that this is supposed to be "entertainment" when people have genuine concerns about money - not just in Ireland but all over the world. Having money is not a sin, flaunting it and taking it for granted is.

Wealthy teenagers can go do what they want I suppose but it's sticks in my craw that this is supposed to be "entertainment" when people have genuine concerns about money - not just in Ireland but all over the world. Having money is not a sin, flaunting it and taking it for granted is.

I simply don't agree. Flaunting and taking your money for granted is not a sin. No more so than not finishing your dinner, throwing away food or taking food for granted is a sin. Lets not forget that there are many people who have 'genuine concerns' about where their next meal will come from. Everything is relative and those who have wealth do not spend their time fretting over it and how it makes those less fortunate feel.

I simply don't agree. Flaunting and taking your money for granted is not a sin. No more so than not finishing your dinner, throwing away food or taking food for granted is a sin. Lets not forget that there are many people who have 'genuine concerns' about where their next meal will come from. Everything is relative and those who have wealth do not spend their time fretting over it and how it makes those less fortunate feel.

Which has what to do with the fact that these twerps are put on television to show it off?
    Not a sin, if you want to be pedantic about it, but just a total ar$ehole thing to do!

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭spiderman1885

FACT

The people in these programs are bent. They're just so sad and clueless of the real world, they probably shouldn't be taken seriously anyway as they themselves are going nowhere in life. :D

I fail to see where the resentment and anger is coming from. If you were young and your parents were willing to spring for a party that would be televised i doubt you would have refused. To my mind the only reason people are getting as angry as they are is because they are jealous. I also have noticed an anti-immigrant tone to many of these posts which i find deeply disturbing and unsavoury.

I fail to see where the resentment and anger is coming from. If you were young and your parents were willing to spring for a party that would be televised i doubt you would have refused. To my mind the only reason people are getting as angry as they are is because they are jealous. I also have noticed an anti-immigrant tone to many of these posts which i find deeply disturbing and unsavoury.

Woah there Nellie! My "anger and resentment" isn't at the kids. It's at whatever plonker thought it would be a good idea to air this show in these times. Also their parents for not knowing better and setting their kids up to be selfish and spoiled. And I have no anti-immigrant issues - except towards those I have encountered so far who have genuinely abused the system here or.. ok I am goin no futrher on that one...

I personally don't hold that against them. And I don't know why other people are, because it's not like you're forced to watch. Its their (well their da's) money so they should do what they want with it.

I'm still of the opinion that they were fat, ugly and annoying. In no particular order. Well, especially fat and ugly....and annoying.

Woah there Nellie! My "anger and resentment" isn't at the kids. It's at whatever plonker thought it would be a good idea to air this show in these times. Also their parents for not knowing better and setting their kids up to be selfish and spoiled. And I have no anti-immigrant issues - except towards those I have encountered so far who have genuinely abused the system here or.. ok I am goin no futrher on that one...

Oh come on!Just cos we have a recession MTV shouldn't broadcast my super sweet 16 in case they hurt our feelings, PLEASE, this show has always and will always be about escapism and fantasy, the economic climate has nothing to do with it. The whole point of the show is to show case the lives of the wealthy. Why should we be offended now?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

I also have noticed an anti-immigrant tone to many of these posts which i find deeply disturbing and unsavoury.

Do point out examples of the anti-immigration tone or STFU

Frisbee wrote: »
    This is hilarious

My dads a successful Italian businessman = He runs a few chippers

Prob why there all so big tbh

I think this is borderline racist, its definitely relying on unsavoury stereotypes

I think this is borderline racist, its definitely relying on unsavoury stereotypes

How the **** is that racist. Because he said Italian?

and with that your credibility with me just plumetted to the point that I don't even feel it necessary to continue this argument. Maybe a sense of humour might be needed to understand the chipper comment?

And offend me by their antics? I am not offended - I just think it's in very bad taste. But then, I live in the real world and not sitting in front of a tv with my head shoved up my rather finely toned ar$e :D

• Registered Users Posts: 55,511 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Christ lads, tone it down or I'll lock this thread.

Perhaps I am just more culturally sensitive than most due to my background and life experience. You never know how even in jest a remark can offend and demean a culture. the level of anger in this thread is really incredible though, the slightest remark or difference of opinion and I am subjected to abuse. I thought the whole point of boards was to facilitate civil debate and discussion

Perhaps I am just more culturally sensitive than most due to my background and life experience.

This gives you no right to brand people racists

• Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭tvnutz

Mr E wrote: »
    Christ lads, tone it down or I'll lock this thread.

Please do! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

I also have noticed an anti-immigrant tone to many of these posts which i find deeply disturbing and unsavoury.

Ah seriously now come on don't start with that garbage please! No-one has said one thing racist in this entire thread. This country has a serious attitude problem in that as soon as any culture/religion/race is mentioned in any format whatsoever some little do-gooder in the PC brigade has to take up the flag waving and finger pointing.
    The word racist has never been used in such poor context as in todays culture. If you construe such comments as racist you would crumble and break if presented with the horrors and reality of what racism truly is.
    I completely agree that this type of show is depressing and sad because its what passes for 'entertainment.' Same as always though the rich look at the world through rose tinted glasses and can pass off any excuse to account for their type of carry on. In that show that girl clearly expressed that she didn't want 'ugly' people to go to her party. Now I think I have a right to call her a facist/racist/bigot for judging people on the basis of their looks but funny enough I don't hear the PC brigade pulling up over such blatantly rude remarks on that girls part. I don't care if it was scripted or not, infact if it was scripted that makes things incredibally worse.
    /rant

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭nagero

Perhaps I am just more culturally sensitive than most due to my background and life experience. You never know how even in jest a remark can offend and demean a culture. the level of anger in this thread is really incredible though, the slightest remark or difference of opinion and I am subjected to abuse. I thought the whole point of boards was to facilitate civil debate and discussion

So says the person with the sensitive username of titwank :confused:

Advertisement