Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I need to remove a tree... but

Options
  • 22-02-2009 11:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭

I've an Ash in the back garden that a previous owner planted right up against the boundary wall at the end of our garden. In the last few years the wall has cracked and is now showing some significant movement so its got to go.

The tree is only about 18ft high, but its pretty large overall. Felling the tree is no problem, I've done it loads of times (on a farm with loads of easy disposal opportunities). Problem I have here though is nowhere to get rid of the tree itself. I'll give the decent wood to my father-in-law for firewood, but there is a heck of a lot that's not going to be of any use.

I was planning to trailer it up to Ballyogan recycling centre, but the only trailer I have access to is a 3 ton tipper trailer and a LWB Pajero Commercial. From what I gather from their dreadful documentation on dublinwaste.ie they don't allow vehicles of that size in with Green waste.

Is there anywhere else South Dublin / North Wicklow (preferably that is open on a Saturday afternoon or Sunday) that will take it for a reasonable fee?

My only other option is to hire a chipper and bag the lot and ferry it up in smaller loads, but this would be a lot of extra work and with cost with the hire of the chipper at about €60-€70 not my favored choice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22 scaletec

i would suggest cutting it all up for your father in law. all the small stuff will do for starting the fire. save a few euro for him and a few for you. everyones a winner in these lean times!

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭JohnDigital

That would be ideal but there would be too much of it for him, he wouldn't have space for it all, nor do I, so its got to be offloaded somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

can it not be stacked,

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Landscape Depot in Kiltipper behind Tallaght take Green Waste. Theyll charge but give them a ring in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

I'd hire a tree surgeon.

This is a tree close to a boundary wall - not something in an open space on farmland where you have room to get out of its way if it topples in the wrong direction.

A good tree surgeon will take down the tree AND take away any wood that you don't want - so you can keep firewood stacks and some kindling but they'll take away all the leafy branches and rubbish.

They should also have public indemnity insurance and the correct equipment, ensuring you don't end up in hospital.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

Why not contact the dublin woodturners guild and offer it to them,they'd be around your place like flys around eh stuff. Personally,the burning of fine wood like ash is a shame,there are so many things it can be used for, hurleys just being one.
    http://www.dublinwoodturners.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭JohnDigital

Thanks for the replies guys.

Firstly, Ballyogan have told me that they are ok with taking in the commercial jeep and trailer as long as the load will be less than 3 cubic meters. So I'll just pack up the junk for them. I’ll drop a mail over to the Woodturners - that’s a nice idea, making us use of the good stuff.

[famouslastwords] From the health and safety point of view, I’m sure we'll be ok talking it down; the tree itself splits to 5 trunks from about 2 foot off the ground with the widest being not much more than 8 inches diameter, so it’s going to be pretty easy to dismantle from the top down. It’s not like we’re going to have to topple something with a 3 foot diameter trunk. [/famouslastwords]

Advertisement