Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where are all the men??

Options
  • 22-02-2009 11:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭

Hey all,

I'm a bit fed of late. Can't seem to find any decent men!! Can anyone tell me where would be a good place to men nice men..by nice i mean good looking and good conversation.

Recently went out with some girlfriends for some drinks. Had an asshole come over to us and sat down. Basically had a big mouth and wouldn't leave our table...we had to leave to get away from him :mad: He stood up at one point and started telling guys walking by to keep walking we were his!!!!!! :mad::mad: None of the guys walking by caught our eye anyway but this jerk really got on my nerves..just one example of whats out there.

One of my gfs met a guy and they have been texting. He asked her to the cinema and insisted on picking her up and paying for everything. They enjoyed their meet and had a kiss when he dropped her home. Told her he'd text her and half and hr later he did. 2 Days later he told her he wasn't available for more dates cos he didn't want a relationship but wanted to continue texting her!! WTF

Just have no faith in love anymore!!! :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

You will never find love when looking for it!!!

Also, all the men are in Cavan, everyone of them, so your Sh1t out of luck in Wicklow. :D

But really, At least 75% of the lads I know have GF's so that's where they are, with their GF's!!!

And another worse one, my main group of friends, the Lads, there are 7 of us all together, out of that 7, 5 have GF's, and 2 don't. I am one of those 2. I am going out monday night with the lads, on the razz nice and proper. but this is our first time going out, all of us, in 6 month's!!!

So that's where all the lads are, with their God Damn girlfriends!!! :D:D

I want to know where all the nice, non-crazy females are!!! Every girl I have scored, dated, or gone out with over the past year have been a bit off!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 42 bogzilla

hi op.

i'd like to think i'm in the same boat as you. male, relatively attractive and always enjoy a good bit of decent conversation with the opposite sex! but alas i can't seem to find any decent girls out about the town [ones that i'm interested in anyway!]

i know a few girls that i'd be seriously into but they have long term bf's. seems the nice ones are gone off the market ages ago. most times i approach girls in a club i get the distinct impression they're doing me an enormous favour even listening to me so now i'm pretty selective and only approach the ones that don't seem drunk or snobbish.

in terms of what you mentioned above, i usually find that the alpha male type is [generally] the only type that would approach a group of 5 or 6 girls at a table in a club. i know i certainly wouldn't. not because you're not attractive and interesting but because guys can find that thing difficult. you don't see many women approaching tables of guys chatting them up so in many cases the same applies the other way around.

in summary, i don't think clubs / pubs are the best ways to meet somebody, usually it's hard to chat to them cos everybody is hammered and the place can be a bit manic.

i certainly agree it is difficult out there but i ain't giving up!

adieu.

bog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭laurak265

Well i don't necessarily want love right now..it would just be an added bonus!

Lol yeah the nice guys seem to have already have girlfriends :rolleyes: I seem to have been too slow lol

No men in wicklow or kildare i'm on the border and have have checked out both..lmao!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

laurak265 wrote: »
    Well i don't necessarily want love right now..it would just be an added bonus!

Lol yeah the nice guys seem to have already have girlfriends :rolleyes: I seem to have been too slow lol

No men in wicklow or kildare i'm on the border and have have checked out both..lmao!

:( Are you saying I'm not nice?:D

bogzilla wrote: »
    hi op.

i'd like to think i'm in the same boat as you. male, relatively attractive and always enjoy a good bit of decent conversation with the opposite sex! but alas i can't seem to find any decent girls out about the town [ones that i'm interested in anyway!]

i know a few girls that i'd be seriously into but they have long term bf's. seems the nice ones are gone off the market ages ago. most times i approach girls in a club i get the distinct impression they're doing me an enormous favour even listening to me so now i'm pretty selective and only approach the ones that don't seem drunk or snobbish.

in terms of what you mentioned above, i usually find that the alpha male type is [generally] the only type that would approach a group of 5 or 6 girls at a table in a club. i know i certainly wouldn't. not because you're not attractive and interesting but because guys can find that thing difficult. you don't see many women approaching tables of guys chatting them up so in many cases the same applies the other way around.

in summary, i don't think clubs / pubs are the best ways to meet somebody, usually it's hard to chat to them cos everybody is hammered and the place can be a bit manic.

i certainly agree it is difficult out there but i ain't giving up!

adieu.

bog.

Yeah i agree...girls can be snobs and i suppose the odd time i have been too but only to an ass i promise! ;)

I think there needs to be speed dating or something on a regular basis...I don't trust internet dating...prefer gace to face and a bit of chat to find a spark!

Fingers crossed for us all....X

• Advertisement

:( Are you saying I'm not nice?:D

Oh your loverly! But alas you live in Cork!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭aoibhebree

Don't give up hope yet!! I know two girls (they don't know each other), one 33 and one 35, both of whom were in relationships from their late teens for most of their twenties, one of whom got engaged. In both cases, the relationships broke up a few years ago for various reasons. I'm close to both of these girls, and was their no.1 cheerleader as they resumed the whole dating thing over the last few years, but they'd pretty much given up hope of ever finding decent guys. But, totally unrelatedly, they both met really nice guys over Christmas - when they weren't even looking, in both cases - and both relationships are going really well (Yes, it's early days yet, but I'm an optimist!!!)

Just go out there and have fun!! I know it's a cliche, but you really are a lot more likely to find your guy if you're not actively looking for him.

Don't give up hope ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,531 ✭✭✭jaffa20

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Placid_Casual

My god, but there does seem to be an awful lot of "Why are there no decent men/ Why are women bitches when you try to talk to them in clubs" type threads.
    As a semi-permanent single guy, i've just given up thinking or worrying about it and I seem to have an easier time meeting girls because of it. Not the right one yet but she will come along. Over-analysing (and this goes for just about anything) is the enemy. It took me years to figure that out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭Wazdakka

jaffa20 wrote: »

Kudos..

I loled

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds

I think by looking for love one is their own worst enemy...I want love but figure by going on dates the worst that can happen is I meet new friends. He/she is out there somewhere, enjoy the journey!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

I sat outside a prominent pub in Galway today for two hours drinking with three lady friends and unashamadly "talent spotting"

We came to the conclusion that there is no talent/men in Galway. Least not today! Sorry OP I think they culd all be in collective hiding somewhere? :pac:

I sat outside a prominent pub in Galway today for two hours drinking with three lady friends and unashamadly "talent spotting"

We came to the conclusion that there is no talent/men in Galway. Least not today! Sorry OP I think they culd all be in collective hiding somewhere? :pac:

Move to Dublin so. We're all hot, honest.

:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

Move to Dublin so. We're all hot, honest.

:p

Il get my coat! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭galwayguy22

I'm forever single but wouldn't mind a date. I'm originally from the south east, near enough to Wicklow. I'm back home most weekends so maybe we could meet up and go for a meal or something.

I'm below average looking and not too good on conversation.

PM me.

I'm forever single but wouldn't mind a date. I'm originally from the south east, near enough to Wicklow. I'm back home most weekends so maybe we could meet up and go for a meal or something.

PM me.

Way to sell yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

Do you think it's possible that due to over exposure to the 1% of the human population who are extremely attractive (through film, television, magazines etc.) average looking people don't find other average looking people attractive?

There has been books and paintings telling and showing attractive people for centuries but it's only in the last 100 years (you could narrow that down to 40) has technology allowed beautiful men and women to be shown to entire populations.

Like if we were sitting in a bar and I asked you to rate a man out of 10 for looks would 10 be the most beautiful man in the planet (Brad Pitt, clooney, who ever you consider the ultimate) or would 10 be the best looking bloke you've seen in real life in the last couple of years? (the underlining assumption being the famous movie star/model is still much more attractive then a very good looking person you meet in the pub).

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

694.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭galwayguy22

Galvasean wrote: »
    694.jpg

I've spent a good few minutes looking for Wally now, only to realize I totally forget what Wally looks like.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I've spent a good few minutes looking for Wally now, only to realize I totally forget what Wally looks like.

fsc30_wheres_waldo.jpg

edit: thats him on the left

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭bennyblanco

He's kind of like Elijah Wood in Sin City before he got into killing and eating prostitutes:D

I lol'd,fair play:D

It seems to me you only find what your after when you stop looking.
    Do you ever approach guys yourself OP?
    (Please don't take this the wrong way,as I love irish women but....)
    I've often found them alot less approachable than their foreign sisters.
    Alot of guys are not willing to risk the ignominy that can sometimes result from such a venture (as bogzilla mentioned) or perhaps they just lack the confidence.
    From all the threads I've read it certainly seems to me that from a female perspective pubs and (night)clubs arent the way forward.
    I think there's alot to what Nothingcompares said too.
    I'm sure if you don't fret over it and just do your thing that you'll encounter your leading man somewhere along the line.
    Try and enjoy the journey:)
    Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

laurak265 wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me where would be a good place to men nice men

If I had a penny for every time I've heard that......I'd have about a buck-fitty...

I'm long-term *single myself and I keep hearing that. I'm amazed when I hear it from women because every time I'm out with the lads I find myself in the middle of a sausage factory listening to moans of "Where are all the women?"

At this point I'd usually type out some long anecdote which I think is amusing and illustrates my point but actually serves to confuse people. Basically, I think our "dating culture" in Ireland is fundamentally flawed. Sometimes I wish we were one of those cultures who are reviving the match-maker traditions.

The best advice I've received is to get your friends who are in relationships to set you up with friends of their other half. The supposed advantages are they will know something about your likes and interests and their friend probably won't turn out to be a serial killer. I've been the victim of this once though and she turned out to be **dull as dish-water.

*Combination of a nasty accident involving an ugly tree and a mental age of 10.
    **I'm known as Mr. Excitement myself...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭jellie

ive come to the conclusion that theres no point looking for men. any relationships ive had have all started randomly when i was just drifting along not expecting anything.

i think the best thing to do is just enjoy whats happening in your life & not get caught up thinking "i wish i had a boy". its not always easy, but if you spend your life looking for a man you might forget to live it :)

(im feeling all full of wisdom this morning :P)

also - i reckon men sense desperation. if youre happy in yourself & your life youre probably more attractive.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Already been done.

Most people making these kind of threads either have abnormally high standards or sit around all day waiting to be approached.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

They're everywhere. 50% of the population. I got to be frank here, when men or women say where are all the men/women gone, I do roll my eyes a bit. We've rarely in history been exposed as much to the opposite sex on a daily basis than today, or have had more avenues to meet people and potential romantic partners.

You do have to look, or at least expose yourself to more social situations, where you'll meet people. I think leaving it up to fate, while romantic and all that, narrows your odds. I think both genders have advantages and disadvantages. Women have the advantage that they are in general the "pursued", but of course that's also their disadvantage. Men on the opposite side have their role as an advantage or disadvantage.

Be more approachable. The gregarious and approachable women have more luck with men, regardless of looks. Men are more visual as far as attraction goes so keep an eye on that aspect. Get clothes that suit you etc.

Approach men. Play with the stereotype of pursued and pursuer.

Basically its an odds game, for both genders. The more you meet, the more your odds of meeting the right person for you go up.

Attractive people of either gender are at a premium. They don't stay single for long and have more choices open to them. Anyone can make themselves more attractive and increase their choices too. It's not the size of your wallet or the size of your arse that's stopping you either. Some of the most successful men and women I've known in the dating game and who have the most choices are either broke men or big girls.

The biggy is though, what do you want in someone? If you don't have a fair idea there and instead base it on "oh Ill just know", then you'll be again relying on luck. Are you turning down men that you shouldnt be?

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Most people making these kind of threads either have abnormally high standards or sit around all day waiting to be approached.
    or have no clue what they're looking for or think they want.
    sar84 wrote:
    also - i reckon men sense desperation. if youre happy in yourself & your life youre probably more attractive.
    I agree. Desperation in both genders is a turn off(though I think its worse for men). What it basically tells the other person is that you don't see your own value and that others dont either, so why should they? If you're attractive to yourself, then you'll be attractive to others. Pretty much guaranteed.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Yes but that can backfire as well as they think you are not intrested in a relationship or presume you are already in one.

• Advertisement

Wibbs wrote: »
    The biggy is though, what do you want in someone?

I think a bigger question is why you want 'someone' at lot of these threads
    seem to be about finding 'anyone'.

Advertisement