Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What the best on the market?

Options
  • 22-02-2009 11:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭

Hi all,

Im in the market looking for a radio/scanner.

whats the best out there? say below €100

and, what would you say is the best €100-€200.

I just want to see is there such thing as more for your money. . .

scanner is a scanner??????

LNB

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

MrLNB wrote: »
    I just want to see is there such thing as more for your money. . .

Like anything in life, you get what you pay for. Scanners range from cheap AM/FM models with limited coverage right up to multi-mode full coverage (no gaps) models.

What scanner you should choose really depends on what you want from it. And something to bear in mind, which I'm sure the folks on here will agree with, is that your antenna setup is as important as the scanner itself.

For example, you could spend €100 on a scanner and another €100 on an antenna setup and get better results than you will from a €500 scanner using its built in antenna.

If you are intending to use the scanner from home, I'd recommend getting a decent antenna mounted outside and as high up as possible. Feed with good coax to the scanner - at least RG213 standard to cut down on feeder losses. A wideband scanner antenna (like a discone) is what you want, unless you are only interested in a specific frequency or band, in which case you can make or buy an antenna for that specific frequency/band which will perform better than a wideband antenna.

One last thing - if you want HF specifically, I'd recommend going with a dedicated HF radio rather than a scanner. Just personal opinion, but I'd rather spend money on a cheaper scanner and a separate HF radio than an all-in-one scanner. I had an AOR 8200 which covers 0-2000MHz (the mk II one, not the mk III) and it was great on VHF/UHF, but not fantastic on HF.

If you tell us more specifically what you are after, I'm sure the folks on here can give you some recommendations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭MrLNB

well lets put it this way. Im just starting out and im looking for my first. What I am trying to avoid is buying something now, and then looking to upgrade because of inefficient equipment.

Its always good get advice on these things.

Advertisement