Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New build, big suprise!

Options
  • 22-02-2009 11:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭

Hey im building a new pc for at home, music, videos and such but im also going to be doing a good bita graphic editing and video editing on it so i'd say i'll be neding a a fairly fast processor and 4gb of ram. my budget will be about 800-900 max!

i dont know weither to go for quad core or i7, dont think i can go i7 for the budget.

virtually no gaming to be done on the pc, but id like a graphics card that'll give me a HD resolution

any ideas or suggestions will be apreciated, thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Any modern graphics card will give you HD resolution. I'd recommend any of the Radeon HD 4000 series as they support all possible features, e.g. the HD 4650, 4350.

i7 will push the budget, most likely because of high DDR3 and motherboard prices, however, for graphic/video content it will be a monster as these tools are usually well multithreaded. Not that you'd be losing too much by going for a Q9550 for example.

Have you got a monitor already, or is that part of the budget?

You should be able to get 6(DDR3)-8(DDR2)GB RAM easily within that budget, make sure you have a 64bit OS for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

i already have a 19" moniter and i'll get a second one of the same in a while to make a dual screen.

See thats the thing i was thinking, i probpolly picked a bad time to make a new pc. Would ya say i'll be alright with a fairly good quad core with some heafty ram over a i7 that i'll be getting the cheapest stuff for?

I have vista ultimate 64 at my disposal so im grand for the os

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

Intel Core™ i7 Quad Processor i7-920 @ € 285.00
    Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5, X58 @ € 259.50
    Sapphire Radeon HD 4850 512MB GDDR3 @ € 140.00
    OCZ Gold DDR3 1600MHz 3GB KIT @ € 96.00
    Antec Three Hundred Black @ € 53.00
    Sony NEC Optiarc DVD±RW burner AD-7200A @ € 21.59
    Nexus FLC-3000 Real Silent CPU cooler @ € 46.00

That will come in at a little over 900 after you pay for postage.
    Also im not sure if you need all the stuff i put up.
    I got all this from komplett.

If you were to buy from another computer company you will make a saving.
    I got my i7 from Scan.co.uk and it came in a good bit cheaper then komplett.
    But i only wanted a CPU + Motherboard + a new fitting for my old CPU cooler so it would fit the new Motherboard. I had the DDR3 ram all ready.

But what im saying i think you can get an I7 for a 900 budget. If you all ready have some of the items and dont need a full build.

do scan deliever to ireland? didnt think they did, id definitly get my stuff form there if thats that case.

So i should go with i7 over quad core then?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

i already have a 19" moniter and i'll get a second one of the same in a while to make a dual screen.

See thats the thing i was thinking, i probpolly picked a bad time to make a new pc. Would ya say i'll be alright with a fairly good quad core with some heafty ram over a i7 that i'll be getting the cheapest stuff for?

I have vista ultimate 64 at my disposal so im grand for the os

In this case I'd say you'd be better off investing in a core 2 quad core, 8GB of DDR2 and a 24" monitor to pair with your 19" screen.

Graphics card advice from above still stands.

From a video/image editing point of view, I'd say you'll get better performance from a Core 2 Quad with 8GB RAM, than i7 with 3GB RAM.

• Advertisement

well have you got any suggestions of what parts to get for the quad core?

ATI radeon HD 4830 or the Nvidia GeForce 9800 GT seems to be alright, and any idea what mobo and ram though?

Yes scan do it to ireland.

I did not have the option so left it as UK. I paid with my pay-pal account and put my irish address for delivery. They conteacted me the next day saying i will need to pay i think it was 14pounds to deliver to ireland which i agreed to. As i was getting i felt a very good price on what i was buying.

The system i picked out was just at the top of my head.
    you dont need to get as good as video card as i selected to save money.

Also have you built computers before ? or know someone who can ?
    It might be a good option to pick your parts and pay the extra to have it come all ready built, some web sites i think have this option.

Also astrofool said 8gigs is better then 3. Which i agree. You might find better value at memoryc.com or komplett also have ram at € 100 in 6gigs in 3 sticks.

But saying all the above going core 2 quad is very good. I had a Qx9650 + Q9550 my self and they were great chips. And should do what ever you need done. Just the I7 will be a little faster for graphic editing + movies ect... But maybe not worth the price tag that is all.

BadCharlie wrote: »

Also have you built computers before ? or know someone who can ?
    It might be a good option to pick your parts and pay the extra to have it come all ready built, some web sites i think have this option.

Only put them together but never picked out any parts or installed windows on a blank system or anything, but i dont thinkit will be a problem, and if im in trouble i know loads of lads who can help me.

pubelicious15's system looks pretty good but i think i'll opt for the quad core with 8gb or ram, anyone got any ideas for parts to use?

Intel Core™ 2 Quad Q9550 2.83GHz Socket @ € 259.00
    Asus P5Q, P45, Socket-775, DDR2, @ € 119.50
    Akasa AK-965 CPU Cooler, Socket 775, @ € 19.08
    Sapphire Radeon HD 4830 512MB GDDR3, @ € 101.50
    Antec Three Hundred Black @ € 53.00
    Sony NEC Optiarc DVD±RW burner AD-7200A @ € 21.59
    OCZ Platinum DDR2 PC6400 8192MB KIT, @ € 134.00
    Corsair Powersupply 650W Black, ATX/EPS, @ € 90.00

This is just another example and items can be changed as you wish. I picked good parts i felt and also went for 8gigs of ram which is what i think you were after.

I my self have had the top 3items listed and found them fine.

• Advertisement
Advertisement