Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Obama more popular than Jesus: Harris Poll.

• 23-02-2009 1:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭

Americans named President Obama as their No. 1 hero, followed by Jesus Christ and Martin Luther King, in a new Harris poll.

Others in the top 10, in descending order, were Ronald Reagan, George W. Bush, Abraham Lincoln, John McCain, John F. Kennedy, Chesley Sullenberger and Mother Teresa.

People were asked whom they admired enough to call their heroes. Those surveyed were not shown a list of people to choose from. The Harris Poll was conducted online among a sample of 2,634 U.S. adults by Harris Interactive.

This question was first asked in a Harris Poll in 2001. In that survey Jesus Christ was the hero mentioned most often, followed by Martin Luther King, Colin Powell, John F. Kennedy and Mother Teresa.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/first100days/2009/02/21/poll-obama-popular-jesus-gandhi-king/

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Meh, the majority of people when asked what their favourite TV program is will state a program they have watched within the last 2 weeks.

People are not very good at sorting between life time highs and recent highs. Ask the same people the same question in 10 years time

BTW, how is Jesus a "hero" What did he do that was heroic?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

Wicknight wrote: »
    BTW, how is Jesus a "hero" What did he do that was heroic?

"Died for your sins" springs to mind.

BTW, how is Obama a "hero" What did he do that was heroic?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

Burgo wrote: »

Assuming he was real, he died what, 2000 odd years before I was even conceived. So no, not really.

Anyway, any poll about heroes that does not include Indiana Jones is fundamentally flawed and can be safely ignored.

Jack Bauer not on the list makes it a joke tbh. Fine Indy too :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

Jack Bauer not on the list makes it a joke tbh. Fine Indy too :P

You have a point, the list could get long... Going off topic now though so I'll quit before I bring down the wrath of the PDN. :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

But did they take a comparative poll when Jesus was alive? Did they ask Pontius Pilate? Mary Magdalene? I don't recall them calling up Joseph of Arimethea or Tiberius for their opinions.

Sarah Palin at no.21 really takes the cake. Why are their so many politicians ? and no mention of nixon ! come on!
    The poll is just absurd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

luckat wrote: »
    But did they take a comparative poll when Jesus was alive? Did they ask Pontius Pilate? Mary Magdalene? I don't recall them calling up Joseph of Arimethea or Tiberius for their opinions.

Wasn't Jesus fairy unpopular when he was alive? I mean, look what the mob did to him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Not sure I would classify that as heroic. Its not like he had a choice in the matter. But anyways ...
    BTW, how is Obama a "hero" What did he do that was heroic?

I wouldn't classify Obama as a hero. He hasn't done anything yet, he has only been in office a month. Running a well oiled election campaign does not make someone a hero

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Wicknight wrote: »
    Its not like he had a choice in the matter.

Really?

Anyway, what a nonsense poll.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Húrin

Yes, but Jesus has been consistently popular for most of 2000 years. Let's see if Obama's popularity lasts even a sliver of that time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 626 ✭✭✭chozometroid

George W. Bush being in the top 5 kinda says something...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Slightly off topic but funny, a chamber of Commerce President got suspended for two weeks for an antichrist comment on Obama. :D

During the town council meeting on Feb. 9, Secondo said, “and everybody loves this Obama. ... I think we should check the back of his head to see if he has 666 there, but that is another issue,” according to meeting minutes.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29259819/

Advertisement