Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Negotiating rent on new place

Options
  • 23-02-2009 1:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭

Hi all,

Myself and my girlfriend and 1 other guy are going to view a 2-bed apartment in our area which has been on the market for over 20 days.

The rent is €1100 , which is pretty much the going rate for this area but I was thinking after we view the apartment, if everything is ok then offering him €1000 pm instead. + another €1000 deposit. With the hope he will either agree or maybe come back €1050 or so. (That would still be a saving of €600/year on asking)

Just wondering now has anyone here done this and been successful, how is it viewed and how do the landlords react these days. ?

I'm a first time renter.

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

Let them react however they want, no skin off your nose to offer a lower price.

Only thing to note is how much you want the apartment, the negotiation part could lose it. See if there is alternatives close by so you have options.

tbh, €1100 between 3 aint bad, I'm paying €1200 with my Girlfriend :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭jaffa20

Was looking at a lovely 1 bed apartment with a lovely view and rent was 950. Tried to get it down to 900. He said know. I told him to let me know if changes his mind. Anyway, he got back to me saying he wasn't prepared to go lower and had a few others see it already:confused::confused:

I wasn't sure as it was unfurbished. Anyway, another one came on the market for 900. Exact same apartment but the view wasn't as nice. Took it. I wouldn't have the patience to hang around very long but you have to wait and see if the get back to you cos they will try and get the asking price first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Samurai

you must be loaded!

• Registered Users Posts: 45,462 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Only thing to note is how much you want the apartment, the negotiation part could lose it. See if there is alternatives close by so you have options.

tbh, €1100 between 3 aint bad, I'm paying €1200 with my Girlfriend :eek:

I think you are the one who needs to negotiate!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭n0fX

Thanks for all the replies everyone

That is true, there are plenty of similar apartments on the market in this area. We're not particularly desperate for this one anyway.

Going to see him tonight so I'll let ya know what he says.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Rents are dropping and it's becoming a tenant's market - which was long overdue. Don't rush into any agreements, take a good look around at what is available locally and make comparisons.

And if the landlord offers x, offer a little lower than the asking. You will find that quite a few landlords are willing to negotiate. Beggars can't be choosers and the "beggars" these days are the landlords.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

Bargain Bargain Bargain. Landlords are desperate to get rid of places and will reduce the rent massively. We moved into a place about 6 months ago got them down from €1550 to €1375 and then just today down to €1250. There is loads of place on the market now and of very high quality so you have nothing to lose.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭jaffa20

irishguy wrote: »
    There is loads of place on the market now and of very high quality so you have nothing to loose.

Yeah, nothing to loose but maybe lose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭n0fX

We viewed it about 6pm, very pleased with the apt it is fully furnished, new carpets , good location, etc. So I offered the €1000 pm towards the end and he said not a chance. I said 'sorry for wasting your time' and we left.

He rang me about 5 mins ago and accepted the €1000 pm offer lol!

Thanks all :D I encourage anyone renting to haggle the price a little, it pays off!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

n0fX wrote: »
    We viewed it about 6pm, very pleased with the apt it is fully furnished, new carpets , good location, etc. So I offered the €1000 pm towards the end and he said not a chance. I said 'sorry for wasting your time' and we left.

Thanks all :D I encourage anyone renting to haggle the price a little, it pays off!

Ahh delighted for ya, well done!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,462 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

n0fX wrote: »

nice one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

Well done, that's €1,200 a year and I'm sure one of the reasons he droped was because he thought that you'd be a good tenant it's not only price that matters sometimes it's worth more to get a good tennant than the full rental amount.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

Biggest reason for him taking you on at €1000 would be acceptance that rents are going down and the longer he leaves it, the more money he's throwing away. There's nothing a landlord hates more than an empty property.

Advertisement