Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Move to Kildare from Dublin

Options
  • 23-02-2009 2:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭

Thinking of moving from Dublin to Kildare and communing daily to work 9-5 (flexy/8-4) in Blackrock.

Expect N7 all they way is the quickest route?
    What would be the best time to start out AM to get to work on time?
    Would it be best to leave earlier or later than 5pm for journey home.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭aodh_rua

I used to commute by road from Kildare Town to Donnybrook and it took over 2 hours each way. Getting to Blackrock from west of Dublin is going to be a killer I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

The N7 is still a nightmare, and getting to blackrock will drive you nuts from the likes of kildare.

The way dublin is set up, most of the traffic goes north or south, so it's not the getting into town, it's the town -> blackrock part that's the killer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

I'd say with the changes to the N7 you'd be fine, looking at an hour and a bit to get there unless there's an accident or something. Don't quote me on it though, do it one morning.

Oh yes, I was commuting from Newbridge (which in the past could easily have been 2 to 2.5 hours of a trip).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

Yep, things are improving. I've been doing maynooth area to ringsend (via the quays) in as little as 40 minutes these days...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 biddy3

I travel from kildare to blackrock and work 9 to 5! I travel up n7 and then m50 sounthbound, leave on exit 14. traffic has been really bad the past few weeks I think it is because of all the road works.. but I leave at around 7.45 and usually get in for 9. (it also depends on where in kildare you will be living) I have been getting in at around 9.20 the past three weeks, traffic from red cow past ballymount and firhouse has been so slow and newlands cross has been particularly bad too. Only about a month ago I was getting in sometimes in an hour but I think this will improve. I leave work at 5, I usually get home at 6.15, sometimes a little earlier. There is new traffic delays from around dundrum/sandyford because the m50 middle lane is being worked on, again this change just happened in past month. Apart from that getting home isn't that bad really. I was thinking about doing the 8-4 instead also, leaving at 4 you would get home earlier. However the traffic on the way home isn't that bad so it wouldn't make a really big difference. Going in early though might be worth it, i'd say it would be a good idea, although I don't know how heavy the traffic is at that time. Overall, I would say it isn't as bad a commute as you would think, its a fairly quick straightforward drive if the traffic is moving ok. When the m50 is finished it will be a lot shorter a commute..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭Billiejo

Thanks to everyone for that info.
    The hassle might be worth it - early to bed, early to rise and having my rent cut in half! minus the petrol!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭twenty8

I go from Kildare town to Ringsend every morning. I use the train and then have a moped to get the rest of the way. Takes approx 1 hour from the train station in Kildare town to my office.

If you got a moped I reckon that you would probably need to add another 10 min max.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 mary70

I wouldn't advise you to move because from past experience, commuting is a killer, especially if you have children. Mind you, if you are only renting, you can try it and always move back if it doesn't work out. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭twenty8

mary70 wrote: »
    I wouldn't advise you to move because from past experience, commuting is a killer, especially if you have children. Mind you, if you are only renting, you can try it and always move back if it doesn't work out. Good luck!

I can be tough - but actually it is probably even more worthwhile moving if you have children. More space, fresh air - altogether better place to bring up kids. The weekends are soo worth it. (I have 2 kids).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭Locamon

Billiejo wrote: »
    Thinking of moving from Dublin to Kildare and communing daily to work 9-5 (flexy/8-4) in Blackrock.

Expect N7 all they way is the quickest route?
    What would be the best time to start out AM to get to work on time?
    Would it be best to leave earlier or later than 5pm for journey home.

Early is better -if you are starting at 8am you should miss the worst of it and gain on leaving at 4pm. Worked in Blackrock for a while and I found once you turn up past 7.30am you are hitting the city centre bound traffic which is the killer when you are trying to get around the village.

• Advertisement
Advertisement