Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Your Digital DJ'ing Rig?

• 23-02-2009 3:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭

Just wondering of the laptop afficianados present on the forum, what Software/Hardware combination do you use? I'm seriously considering investing in a rig to go mobile with.

Have a copy of Ableton, a Rotary Bank (BCR2000) and a decent keyboard (Axiom 49) but could never really get my head around how you would DJ in ableton. Live sets yeah, but other peoples tunes :confused:

Have messed around with VDJ and the like but they hold no love for me - Traktor seems to be the best option? I've no TTs so no interest in Serato; either a decent MIDI controller + a MOTU ultralite (or similar), or an AIO audio interface and control surface is what I'm looking at as I already have a suitable spare laptop and ext HD to use.

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I use Torq with an M-Audio Xponent:

TORQ-XPONENT.jpg

I chose it cause at the time it was the best and most simple all one one solution. Laptop, Xponent - sorted. You don't need anything else. 2 years on I'm still very happy with it.

Ableton and some of the Faderfox's looks interesting but probably more than I need. Tracktor Pro is excellent and there are a host of Midi Controllers available

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭VinylJunkie

Yeah i use Torq{1.07} myself but in external mode with time-code vinyl or cd. Ive also got a Oxygen 8v2 Keyboard which i can use with a mixer if im playing a house party where there is not much room.

Ive tried ableton but it does my head in warping tracks and ive never really got my head around the program!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

Blackbook running Ableton live with an M-Audio Ozonic (which has a built in interface) and a standard USB computer keyboard to trigger the loops.

397537296a6740776693l.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭vinylbomb

Let me preface this by saying, if I was doing it all again, one word :Xponent.
    Don't even look at anything else.

My own setup is a MacBook (13.3), Traktor, Emagic 6¦2, Korg MS2000R as a control surface (even though its is a synth, or at least should be :eek:)

Its a bit of a hotchpotch set up, but like anything, once you get comfy with you you're loath to change it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭FLYNN-DOG

Nothing too special - two pionner cdj's & djm 400 mixer with key audio speakers and sony headphones. Not too everyones tastes but perfect imo for just messing around with.....

I have logic 8......but don't have a breeze where to start!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭FLYNN-DOG

Stupid respionce - aplogies i shuda read the header first!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

vinylbomb wrote: »
    Let me preface this by saying, if I was doing it all again, one word :Xponent.
    Don't even look at anything else.

My own setup is a MacBook (13.3), Traktor, Emagic 6¦2, Korg MS2000R as a control surface (even though its is a synth, or at least should be :eek:)

Using an MS2000 as a control surface is one of the greatest things I've heard in a while :D Can't remember an xfader though?

Why would you be so mad regarding xponent? Seems that all the big boys use Traktor and surely half the benefit of the xponent is using it with the proprietary software?

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭vinylbomb

None, no fader, just stick the fader in the middle on the software and away you go.
    There enough buttons and rotaries on it to control 2 Traktors (sort of!)

In relation to Xponent, I would still use Traktor, just either set up a MIDI map yourself or download one from the NI/Korg forums

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clMK5-Juu0A

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

at the moment using laptop with traktor and vdj and bdc3000. got it on the cheap from a work mate so just ended up getting that.

plans are for a cdj 400 one side, hooked up to my portable hard drive, runnin into a djm400, with the laptop and a better midi controller hooked up to the other channel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭MikeHoncho

I have a Torq Xponent I generally use Torq but have had limited success mapping to Traktor recently. I prefer Torq though. I have a Trigger Finger too which gives me some extra functionality. I also prefer how some of the effects work with the sliders on the TF instead of the knobs on the Xponent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭VinylJunkie

Alot of Torq users on here, Is there anyone using the new 1.5 update. It seems like there are alot of bugs with it so I didn't update im still on 1.07 which has been rock solid for me!:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭MikeHoncho

Alot of Torq users on here, Is there anyone using the new 1.5 update. It seems like there are alot of bugs with it so I didn't update im still on 1.07 which has been rock solid for me!:pac:

Updated to 1.5 and have'nt had any problems. That being said Ive only actually used it a handfull of times since the update and for no longer than 30 - 40 mins in a go. Damn work and girlfriend getting in the way of my djing.

Advertisement