Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Refund on cancelled hotel

Options
  • 23-02-2009 10:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,209 ✭✭✭

Ok, i booked a hotel for a trip away via a UK internet hotel broker. I paid via credit card, in Sterling, in full. Then last week they emailed me to say hotel was overbooked, and that i could have an alternative, or a refund. I chose the refund, and then they say ok the cheque is in the post. I emailed back to say i wanted a refund to my credit card, but they said they can not do this?! So now im thinking its actually going to cost me as i will have to change the cheque, pay comission, and then lodge it into my account.
    My question is, do they not have to refund me the way i paid???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

mel123 wrote: »
    Ok, i booked a hotel for a trip away via a UK internet hotel broker. I paid via credit card, in Sterling, in full. Then last week they emailed me to say hotel was overbooked, and that i could have an alternative, or a refund. I chose the refund, and then they say ok the cheque is in the post. I emailed back to say i wanted a refund to my credit card, but they said they can not do this?! So now im thinking its actually going to cost me as i will have to change the cheque, pay comission, and then lodge it into my account.
    My question is, do they not have to refund me the way i paid???

No they Dont IIRC,

I have the same problem playing poker online. I'd love the money Won to go back onto my card but they have to send a check

• Registered Users Posts: 3,146 ✭✭✭oneweb

That doesn't sound right, and if it's legit is pretty unfortunate.

I booked a hotel (direct), cancelled hours later and got an incomplete refund the next day. Figured it was worth a shot so I contacted my bank because there was an €8 difference in what I'd originally paid and what I got back. The bank refunded the €8 as an exchange rate difference. :D

It is what it's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

They should be able to reverse the credit card payment, this is possible for all card processors. If they're not playing ball, contact your bank, tell them that they're refunding by cheque (which you don't want) and ask if they can reverse the transaction. Then simply return the cheque to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Pub07

Tell them to send it to your credit card or you will do a chargeback.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

That's odd, I thought most businesses the general idea was that they refund in the same way you paid. It would be an accounts nightmare if they did otherwise..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

eth0_ wrote: »
    That's odd, I thought most businesses the general idea was that they refund in the same way you paid. It would be an accounts nightmare if they did otherwise..

I thought so too. That's how we run our business [PS]. We refund using same method that customer paid. There was only one exception for us about a year ago. A customer needed a refund but we had cleared out our paypal account the previous day [we use them for cc payments].

I apologised to customer and offered to either personally hand deliver a cheque the same day, or wait a few days until more money came into our pp account and refund normally. It was very friendly and the customer opted for the cheque.

I guess some companies don't know how to look after their customers and are now paying the very heavy price. Although the current downturn hasn't hit our business as much as a lot of others, I just can't help wonder why.

I know business is mostly about the intake of money to become profitable but it's also about repeat business. Treat your customers right and SOME of them will reciprocate.

Anyway, sorry for the long post and maybe some OT but I'm on heavy painkillers at the moment and head is a bit fuzzzzzzzy :rolleyes:

Keith

• Registered Users Posts: 2,209 ✭✭✭mel123

jor el wrote: »
    They should be able to reverse the credit card payment, this is possible for all card processors. If they're not playing ball, contact your bank, tell them that they're refunding by cheque (which you don't want) and ask if they can reverse the transaction. Then simply return the cheque to them.

YEAH THIS MIGHT be an idea, i will ring the credit card company and see if they can do this.

Advertisement