Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to buy fresh juniper berries

• 23-02-2009 10:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi,

I'm looking for juniper berries in the Dubline area. I've found dried ones in Nolans in Clontarf, but I need fresh berries. Anybody know if its possible to get them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

I've never seen fresh juniper berries, what are you using them for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 tim.culhane

Hi,

they are listed as an ingredient for a recipe I'm trying. You can find it at:

http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/pork-sausages-braised-in-cider-with-apples-and-juniper,1147,RC.html

The Junipers are crushed before adding them, which seems to suggest they are fresh and not dried ... though the recipe does not explicitly say they are fresh.

I've seen elsewhere on boards.ie that they are available in M&S and Tesco, but I'm not sure if these are the dried or fresh versions?

Tim

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,472 ✭✭✭✭Alun

The Junipers are crushed before adding them, which seems to suggest they are fresh and not dried ... though the recipe does not explicitly say they are fresh.
    Usually with recipes involving juniper berries (I've only ever seen dried ones for sale) you're supposed to crush them ever so lightly, just to crack them open really and allow the flavours to be released, not completely crush them to bits, so I reckon dried ones will be just fine for that recipe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Magic Monkey

As Alun said, dried are just fine. In many other braised dishes, mostly German, as they're big into using juniper berries, the berries are always dried. Haven't seen them in Tesco, but the dried ones are available in M&S.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

Just to add a useless bit of info to this conversation, I think juniper berries taste foul and all dishes that call for them are better for leaving them out!

• Advertisement

Hi,

they are listed as an ingredient for a recipe I'm trying. You can find it at:

http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/pork-sausages-braised-in-cider-with-apples-and-juniper,1147,RC.html

I've seen elsewhere on boards.ie that they are available in M&S and Tesco, but I'm not sure if these are the dried or fresh versions?

Tim

I think Delia is referring to the dried type - the info behind the ingredients panel seems to suggest they're dried. Give it a go with dried and bash them a bit to crack the skins and bruise the berries a bit. The only time I ever seen fresh juniper berries was in a Monty Python film:D

Just to add a useless bit of info to this conversation, I think juniper berries taste foul and all dishes that call for them are better for leaving them out!

Typically included in game dishes, I like the flavour they give a dish, but I don't eat the berries - biting one gives a jarring burst of flavour a bit like finding a green cardamon in a curry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,472 ✭✭✭✭Alun

You could try putting them in a little muslin bag like a bouquet garni I suppose.

Advertisement