Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I Hear its getting increasinly hard to get a Job in Sydney???

Options
  • 23-02-2009 10:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi, Me and my friends are planning our trip to Oz for this July. We were planning to start our trip in Sydney but might fly into melbourne or perth now as we heard its getting harder to find a job in sydney these days or will this get easier by the time July comes around (as it will be there Winter and people may have moved on from there)???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭The BOFH

I suppose it depends on what sort of job you are after, as long as you have a Tax File number & a bank account you can work anywhere they take on contract/casual staff. Keep an eye on seek.com.au for jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭lemon_of_old

I was there about 2 weeks ago for a week, and there were people in the hostel who had been searching for a job for weeks, sometimes months. And when anyone got a few hours of washing dishes in a restaurant everyone was like yeaaaaah! brilliant! well done! So yeah, I got the impression it was pretty tough. Then again, a lot of these guys didn't have English as their first language, and that always makes it a lot easier. So will probably be easier for you to pick something up.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭mfield

They're talking about it on Joe Duffy now.....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Yes! It's very hard to get a job in sydney now, a few highly qualified friends of mine have been looking for jobs for a few weeks now and there is not much chance of interviews never mind jobs themselves.

With all the australians coming back from the UK/Ireland etc and all the english and irish coming over there seems to be a large amount of people looking for work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Diamondmaker

Anecdotally I reckon there are certainly more Irish up in Brizzy than there were last year.

I also had my spare room to let and most of the names seemd to be irish that replied. There is an Irish couple in the room right now and they certainly finding work tough to get. I think they were already in melb or Sidders...not sure they stay in the room a lot.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Bebob wrote: »
    Hi, Me and my friends are planning our trip to Oz for this July. We were planning to start our trip in Sydney but might fly into melbourne or perth now as we heard its getting harder to find a job in sydney these days or will this get easier by the time July comes around (as it will be there Winter and people may have moved on from there)???

Bring lots of cash and be prepared to make it last see MJDs thread on this

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Mobooo

honestly? save your money

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Diamondmaker

Mobooo wrote: »
    honestly? save your money

You can only stay so long as you have money and the longer your money lasts the longer you can look for work.

SO yes, save your money.

Piss it up against the wall in bondi every day for 3 months and go home hung over or be more sensible make it last and give your self a fair crack at finding work by going where ever is requred.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Bebob

God i was planning to go and stay for a second year by the sounds of it ill be holding by the day. I would be looking for casual work i.e. bars, restaurants, shops etc. I am hoping to have about €6K going over and not fly into Sydney but start the adventure somewhere else. Can any recommand where might be a good place to start Melbourne, Perth, Darwin, Brisbane...???

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Mobooo

Im in melbourne, dont start here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Or if you want to start in Melbourne, look outwards. There are two train services that run into Melbourne - VLine, which is country trains, which are pretty crap, and Connex, which is the trains that run regularly into the city. If you can bear to tear yourself away from living in the inner suburbs, look at living somewhere on a Connex line - you're more likely to get work locally, the rent will be cheaper and you can still get to the city whenever you want. Of course, you won't find a youth hostel, will have to rent a flat/room and it may change your view of what your trip is about, but if all you need is a base of operations with a pub to drink in and some money to fund your next trip, you're more likely to get the work further out of town.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

Can i hijack this slightly and ask does anyone know the cost of applying for residency while in Australia on sponsorship visa. This isn't actually for me but a relation has told me it's too expensive to bother doing so he'll just stick to his sponsorship visa even though he wants to stay after the 4 years.
    Thanks

ibh wrote: »
    Can i hijack this slightly and ask does anyone know the cost of applying for residency while in Australia on sponsorship visa. This isn't actually for me but a relation has told me it's too expensive to bother doing so he'll just stick to his sponsorship visa even though he wants to stay after the 4 years.
    Thanks

If he wants to stay after the 4 years he has to get some sort of visa...so at some piont he has to make a decision. Wether it costs $50 or $5000

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭38141

Thanks

Go and look at their website. All the info is on there in plain english.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

Zambia232 wrote: »
    If he wants to stay after the 4 years he has to get some sort of visa...so at some piont he has to make a decision. Wether it costs $50 or $5000

That's the point i was trying to get across to him. He is just thinking ah fcuk it i'll cross that bridge when i get to it.
    38141 wrote: »
    Go and look at their website. All the info is on there in plain english.

Like i said, it isn't for me, so i don't even know what website you're talking about. Cheers the for the link. Really beneficial post.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭38141

That's the point i was trying to get across to him. He is just thinking ah fcuk it i'll cross that bridge when i get to it.

Like i said, it isn't for me, so i don't even know what website you're talking about. Cheers the for the link. Really beneficial post.:rolleyes:

If you had a brain you'd know where to look. I couldn't be arsed giving you a 'beneficial post'. Go and do it yourself. ****wit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

38141 wrote: »
    If you had a brain you'd know where to look. I couldn't be arsed giving you a 'beneficial post'. Go and do it yourself. ****wit.

Banned for 1 week. No personal abuse allowed - no matter what the circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Claasman

Getting back on topic...

Was talking to two lads who came out the same time as me, (sept 08) and moved to sydney, both with plenty of contacts for work. They said work has really dried up there, and both are gone home now...

Claasman wrote: »
    Getting back on topic...

Was talking to two lads who came out the same time as me, (sept 08) and moved to sydney, both with plenty of contacts for work. They said work has really dried up there, and both are gone home now...

How have you got on Mate?

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Claasman

Well, I worked out the country for 4 months until the middle of jan, moved to Brisbane for 2 weeks, got another job out the country but packed it in after a week and have been in the hostel since (nearly 5 weeks, have only REALLY been lookin for casual work in the last 2 weeks, was looking for engineering work before that )......
    Looks like I will be going back out the country again,

not fun:(. I have a half notion of going home, undecided though.

• Advertisement

Claasman wrote: »
    Well, I worked out the country for 4 months until the middle of jan, moved to Brisbane for 2 weeks, got another job out the country but packed it in after a week and have been in the hostel since (nearly 5 weeks, have only REALLY been lookin for casual work in the last 2 weeks, was looking for engineering work before that )......
    Looks like I will be going back out the country again,

not fun:(. I have a half notion of going home, undecided though.

Sorry to hear that but I reckon your proof that MJD's theory on leaving the big cities is a good idea work wise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭bobbbb

I have a few friends out there now. Apparently all the work is drying up apart from IT work.

If you are in IT you should have no problem getting a job in Sydney, but anything else is much harder.

bobbbb wrote: »
    I have a few friends out there now. Apparently all the work is drying up apart from IT work.

If you are in IT you should have no problem getting a job in Sydney, but anything else is much harder.

Way to spread hearsay mate. Can anyone else who is in Sydney confirm that IT work is no problem to pick up?

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭TutuKaka

Seek.com.au says there are 6052 IT jobs in Sydney.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭acontadino

doesn't ireland even need immigrants for IT?

I know hamburg has a real shortage of it workers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭bobbbb

Zambia232 wrote: »
    Way to spread hearsay mate. Can anyone else who is in Sydney confirm that IT work is no problem to pick up?

Nobody said you had to take my word for it. Always good to check it out for yourself. Just trying to help.

TutuKaka wrote: »
    Seek.com.au says there are 6052 IT jobs in Sydney.

Seek says a lot of things

bobbbb wrote: »
    Nobody said you had to take my word for it. Always good to check it out for yourself. Just trying to help.

Sorry over hyped on coffee and very short today, jobs here are not easy to come the indicator is if you are in demand in Ireland you will possibly be in demand here.

So far no one has posted any good news on the IT front job wise here in a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭vinylbomb

I know of lads that are struggling to get IT infrastructure work over there (edit: there being Sydney), but they would be little more than grads really, so it'd be tough no matter where they are given the current economic climate.

I've a aussie mate in Melbourne who reckons there is work there, but you'd need to be in the sort of 5 year experience with MCSE bracket. Mind you, theres jobs going here (Dublin) for people at that level too.

If you're a good programmer with 3-5 years exp you'll walk into a job anywhere on the planet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Shutuplaura

I worked in finance - 5 years experience, three with the one company, two of those in Melbourne. Loads of experience then both in Australia and abroad and I'm finding it really tough to find anything at all. I've been looking for 4 weeks and haven't had an interview for a job and its tough even getting through to speak to a recruitment agent. I'd be wary of advising anyone to come here. I've even started looking for casual work in restaurants etc and I haven't been getting much look. As a mate of mine say, its cactus at the moment.

Personally, I'm not too fussed as I'm happy enough being a house husband but I'd still like to know if anyone else in Melbourne is findingf it as difficult to get anything.

Advertisement