Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I Hear its getting increasinly hard to get a Job in Sydney???

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭bobbbb

vinylbomb wrote: »
    I know of lads that are struggling to get IT infrastructure work over there (edit: there being Sydney), but they would be little more than grads really, so it'd be tough no matter where they are given the current economic climate.

I've a aussie mate in Melbourne who reckons there is work there, but you'd need to be in the sort of 5 year experience with MCSE bracket. Mind you, theres jobs going here (Dublin) for people at that level too.

If you're a good programmer with 3-5 years exp you'll walk into a job anywhere on the planet.

Yeah, my mates who are over there all have over 5 years experience in IT and are software and network engineers.
    Grads are going to struggle anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭vinylbomb

bobbbb wrote: »
    Yeah, my mates who are over there all have over 5 years experience in IT and are software and network engineers.
    Grads are going to struggle anywhere.

Are they struggling to get work? Where are they?

I have another mate who is a civil engineer who cant get anything at all, not because theres no jobs, but they wont take people on back packer visas due to the short termism of the appointment

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

If anyone has decent experience in Java/J2EE
    ideally IBM websphere Portal, etc etc

send me a pm - when I say decent i mean 2years + top end j2ee

we are looking for people in sydney, wages are good depending on exp
    70-85ph

etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Good man Hussey , bit of good news

• Registered Users Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

I came over here with 5 others. 4 of them are going home friday coz they couldnt get work. The 2 blokes are carpenters. No work in Perth at all.

Sydney is seemingly the same, or slightly better. Perth is just over run with people who were told that the place is crying out for workers in all industries! I dunno who does be telling them this!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭Neverwhere

I'm too tired to read all of the posts, but I agree with whoever said save your money.

Close friends on mine who actually are part australian, emigrated over to sydney a year ago. I know at the start they had difficulty finding work...maybe cause they were "irish", im not really sure.

A few months later my friends boyfrends flew over to stay with them for a few years. One of tem hada tough time with the job he had found. His employer ripped him off because he was a foreigner. He had to training for the job, which was supposed to be paid, and his boss told him it wasnt paid training. He got the money in the end as his sponsor came in and had a word with the manager.

Not everyones like that obviously, i personally find australians lovely....but keep an eye out anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭bobbbb

vinylbomb wrote: »
    Are they struggling to get work? Where are they?

I have another mate who is a civil engineer who cant get anything at all, not because theres no jobs, but they wont take people on back packer visas due to the short termism of the appointment

They are not struggling at all. In fact they are finding it very easy and have their pick of it jobs there. I just posted earlier that there seems to be no problem at all getting it jobs over there, but others didnt agree. Probably becauise they are in IT and are trying to keep out the competition :D

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭vinylbomb

Ah yeah, well you gotta protect your own!!

Kinda confirms what I've heard - If you have good experience in infrastructure or development and can demonstrate it you'll be fine. If not you'll be fairly screwed.

Heres hoping that its the same situation in Vancouver!!!

Advertisement