Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laminate Flooring unlevel floor

Options
  • 23-02-2009 10:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Hi all,

Is it OK to use self-levelling compound to level a floor that will be floored with laminate flooring? I've only ever seen levelling compound used with tiles. Can it be used for as preparation for all floor covering types?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭LinoRichie

Anyone have an answer for this? I have the same query.

I've been told that it is not a good idea as the movement of the laminate flooring can crack the levelling compound. Is this correct or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,091 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I have used latex based self leveling compound and then stuck cork floor tiles directly to it. I see no reason why laminate should be a problem.

The latex stuff is very tricky to use in terms of the time you have available to mix it, apply it and spread it.

I did my 5 x 5 m kitchen and it was touch and go. You need a team of at least two people for such an area.

If I had to do it again I would say hang the expense and get an epoxy based self levelling compound from the uk.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Pesonally I don't think there'll be any problem with the levelling compound cracking. Cracking is usually caused by poor bonding of the compound with the subfloor or by high pressure exerted on small points by things such as the legs on very heavy furniture. I wouldn't anticipate a kitchen table, chair, or sofa causing any issues.

The laminate board, although quite thin and flexible, should be stiff enough to spread the load and the underlay would provide more cushioning.

If you're worried a thicker laminate or better again semi-solid wood would be stiffer and better at spreading the weight.

I presume you intend to use the levelling compound on a concrete floor not a wooden one, as the latter is a no no.

Edit:
    PS : normal compound should be adequate for most cases, just mix with water, pour and trowel out. You've got 10-15mins before it starts to thicken. The first time I done it myself (and on my own, no help) I was wary if I'd have enough time but I was surprised it really only takes a few minutes to mix a bucket, pour and level.

Advertisement