Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

safe place to lock your bike at Heuston?

Options
  • 23-02-2009 11:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭

Hi

I leave Dublin each week for the week-end and cycling to/from Heuston would save me an awful lot of time and possibly money.
    I'm looking for a safe place to lock my bike for the week-ends at the station. Does such a place exist? The alternative solution is to take the bike on the train, but that would cost me €8 each way. Or not use the bike at all :(.

any suggestions?
    many thanks
    sf

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭RoyMcC

Well the station provides a bike park http://www.irishrail.ie/your_journey/your_station.asp?letter=H&action=showdetail&station_id=71 though presumably it's not secure :confused: How much would they charge it as 'left luggage'? Give 'em a call.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Rusty Cogs 08

If your doing it every weekend then I'd invest in a motorcycle lock and leave it down there with maybe a stubby u-lock for good measure (which you could carry normally). Depends on how good the bike is. There's a lot of bikes down at Heuston at any time. If yours is one of the flasher ones then it's a target. If not, then those locks should do the trick.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭scaryfairy

good morning,

thanks for these tips, will look into them both. the bike is not flashy at all but not one of those totally run-down ones either, haven't seen what types of bikes are left there. it would be great if I could leave it in the left luggage though, would be happy to pay 10+ euros...

thanks again
    sf

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Rusty Cogs 08

I'd say they'll send you around to the bike rack (it's massive, left luggage isn't). And if your paying €10+ every week it would be cheaper to just by a FO lock. My tuppence worth.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,203 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Do you know anyone living anywhere close to Heuston could take it in for you?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33 AAARON

best thing to do mate would be a motercycle lock and a little tip ive copped on to is lock the bike upside down there is a lot of vandals out there. i came back to my bike a few times and my wheels where buckled locking it upside down prevents that :D

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭scaryfairy

thanks for all this - I think I will just abandon the idea... it's so bl**dy heartbreaking to get your bike vandalised/stolen and seems like a very likely event. had bikes stolen 3 times, seats several times, no wheels as yet... unfortunately nobody I know is from around the area. anyway, was a silly idea.. :(

but thanks anyway
    cheers
    sf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

I think you are right in abandoning the idea, i wouldnt feel happy leaving a bike there for a few hours, let alone a weekend!

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭TheWaterboy

I used to park my bike there every night and all weekend when i was commuting to dublin. It was a new bike, though only cost me 150 euros. I had two U locks and never had any problems..If anything has quick release wheels or saddle then they will prob be taken.

Recently they have enclosed the bike shelter with metal gates which i think might be closed in the evening...There are loads of bikes there so you would want to be very unlucky to be robbed.

Advertisement