Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Needle phobia

Options
  • 23-02-2009 12:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

Hi folks

My wife is pregnant and has a serious phobia of needles. This is not a fear - it is a phobia and quite a serious one at that. I wont go into what happens when she try's - those of you familiar with phobias will understand.

She needs to give blood in about 2 weeks (after putting it off for 4 months).

I am wondering if anyone can recommend a hypnotherapist that has successfully treated you or someone you know.

Thanks!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭LadyJ

AFAIK, hypnotherapy does not work for everyone and it also can take a few sessions to have a proper impact even if it does. 2 weeks will not be enough time regardless. Perhaps she should discuss this with her GP and maybe he/she will be able to offer some kind of sedation or something.

I understand what having a serious phobia is like so I can totally empathise. Get your wife to explain to her doctor just how serious her phobia is. An understanding GP will hopefully be able to offer some assisstance.

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭LOOKIHERE

Yes - we have tried pretty much everything at this point. GP referrals etc. Sedation is not really an option either since she is pregnant...
    Thanks for getting back.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭speedy2007

i know how your wife feels, i go to lengths to avoid doctors, dentists etc..just to avoid the possibility that they might give me a needle. Ive always worried what would happen if i ever got pregnant.
    Anyway last time i had to have a blood test, it the first one ever in my life so i was terrified. To help i got this cream from the chemist, you put it on your arm in the general area of where the blood test will be taken a couple of hours or so beforehand. It completely deadens the area.
    I know my fear is less to do with the pain and more with just the whole idea of needles, but the fact i couldnt feel anything helped cos i closed my eyes, told the doctor not to tell me what was happening and i just pretended i was somewhere else. It was still awful, but it was bearable and i got thru it.
    I cant remember the name, but i will try find it if you are interested.

Another thing is that i got my doctor to do it, instead of the nurse. Not that i think nurses are any less qualified, but the doctor was old and just knowing he had done this millions of times helped. He did it so quick too, cos he knew how scared i was, so your wife should let the doctor know

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭speedy2007

i just found it actually, so in case you will be interested its called Ametop cream, no prescription needed. Really small tub, so maybe order 2 to make sure you cover the area fully (for peace of mind:P)

Advertisement