Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog litter

Options
  • 23-02-2009 12:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭

Just back from a long overdue visit home to Limerick this weekend. Yet again I left Limerick convinced that it is without a doubt the world's number one city for the amount of dog sh*t that litters the pavements. It is absolutely everywhere! Obviously the citizens of my home town have yet to catch on to the idea of bringing a plastic bag or two with them when they bring "Rover" for his walk.

The Garryowen and Dublin Road/Clare St areas seemed particularly bad - in fact I was surprised at how shabby and run down a lot of Garryowen has become. Having grown up in that area it is sad to see.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

For me it would have to be Middleton in County Cork to be the worst. It was like a minefield on the main street.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

Just back from a long overdue visit home to Limerick this weekend. Yet again I left Limerick convinced that it is without a doubt the world's number one city for the amount of dog sh*t that litters the pavements.

It's Paris that is number one in this regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Persiancowboy

Itsdacraic wrote: »
    It's Paris that is number one in this regard.

I'm lucky enough that my job obliges me to be in Paris a few times a year....take it from me, Limerick wins hands-down - unfortunately!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

+1 for Paris...or any city in France. Never saw it is a problem here

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭sparkman

Think the North Circular is the worst for it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I'm lucky enough that my job obliges me to be in Paris a few times a year....take it from me, Limerick wins hands-down - unfortunately!!

Hands down? Ew.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭mark1974

In Ballybunion last week. The place was covered in it. They obviously dont care about the place off season. Spent the whole time telling the children to watch where they were walking and ended up standing in it myself.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

ur comparing a housing estate with city centre. obviously, theres a lot of dogs in garryowen, left to their own devices for much of the day. however, this is far from a problem in the city centre, and ur post suggests it is.
    stuff like this always annoys me, its like that b1tch from rte reporting on every shooting from o connell st as if its all happenin in the middle of town.

clare st, on the other hand, I will give you. its due to people bringing their dogs to the park i guess. but i bet u found the problem much worse in garryowen than on clare st. And thats due to the dogs being out on their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

yet another thing to come from the PC brigade or some wing of theirs!

No-one seemed to mind when we were growing up! It did no harm, and continues to do no harm or does it?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

I agree with you OP, it's really bad. I'm over from London this week and I can't get over it. From the Ballysimon Rd all the way down Mulgrave St is utterly foul. You really have to go to a huge effort not to step in several dog craps, it's all over the place. It's definitely something that's getting worse. At the very least people should have their dogs go in the gutter rather than across the pavement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,314 ✭✭✭✭phog

yet another thing to come from the PC brigade or some wing of theirs!

No-one seemed to mind when we were growing up! It did no harm, and continues to do no harm or does it?

Not PCness at all, surely in this day and age it should be safe to walk the streets without stepping into dog litter and then dragging it all over our homes, shops, cars, etc.

Why isnt the same applied to cow/horse poo?

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭puntosporting

Youll see the odd crap on the street wherever you walk in the limerick outskirts it aint quiet as bad as being described by a few do!
    Having said that any crap left by a dog on a lead is poor form!

Why isnt the same applied to cow/horse poo?

what pavements do you walk on, cow/horse poo?

I am just saying shouldnt the person in charge of these animals be punished for littering as well??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Millie

iguana wrote: »
    I agree with you OP, it's really bad. I'm over from London this week and I can't get over it. From the Ballysimon Rd all the way down Mulgrave St is utterly foul. You really have to go to a huge effort not to step in several dog craps, it's all over the place. It's definitely something that's getting worse. At the very least people should have their dogs go in the gutter rather than across the pavement.

I totally agree with you with regard to Mulgrave St.
    I live around there & take my dog walking everyday and the dog poo is a disgrace.
    I am I would think one of the only owner's who cleans up after their dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I am just saying shouldnt the person in charge of these animals be punished for littering as well??

Its €150 on the spot fine.*

*hidden pun in there somewhere.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Berty wrote: »
    Its €150 on the spot fine.*

*hidden pun in there somewhere.

I accidentally spilled Clearasil on my neighbour's dog, now he's gone :(

Ah yes, that's another story, I don't think the animal should be punished
    but the owner should certainly be fined with ZERO tollerance.

Advertisement