Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Real Madrid vs Liverpool [Match Thread] CL Round 2, Leg 1 Wednesday 25 Feb 19.45

14567810»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Rafa for United!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Loved Dunphy's quote there:

"Nedved is 36 and Del Piero ain't far behind"

Yet, he regularly hails Scholes as one if the best players around

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

tinner777 wrote: »
    rte are fast becoming a joke, the same rubbish after every liverpool match, the only way i can watch a match these days is with radio 5 on in the background. What is the point of dunphy?

Dunphy is like God. Nobody knows how he came to be, people may curse him at times and nobody really knows why he's there.

tinner777 wrote: »
    rte are fast becoming a joke, the same rubbish after every liverpool match, the only way i can watch a match these days is with radio 5 on in the background. What is the point of dunphy?

hes only there for ratings.

Souness was'nt there tonight but I think he is the best analyst by far. The rest are a joke. And as for Houghton...:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

rarnes1 wrote: »
    hes only there for ratings.

Souness was'nt there tonight but I think he is the best analyst by far. The rest are a joke. And as for Houghton...:eek:

Bingo

Can someone clarify if the 1/4 final draw is an open draw?

• Advertisement

Dunphy keeps going on about Barca. I think they will be out once they meet an english team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

I love it when a plan comes together, just one a hundred notes off one of the lads in work who bet me that real would win it. Gave me the draw too he was so confident.

So I am now doubly happy with the result. Was glad that we did no go the way of Man U and dominate without getting anything positive from it.

Warper wrote: »
    Bingo

Can someone clarify if the 1/4 final draw is an open draw?

it sure is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Highsider

I love it when a plan comes together, just one a hundred notes off one of the lads in work who bet me that real would win it. Gave me the draw too he was so confident.

So I am now doubly happy with the result. Was glad that we did no go the way of Man U and dominate without getting anything positive from it.
    Result alright but not as good as my friend who just texted me...he got benni at 80/1 to score the first goal tonight,15 quid on. Lucky bastardo :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Calm it down lads. Do not turn this into another Utd / Liverpool circle jerk. And there shouldn't be any need to rub stuff in people's faces btw - as the tie hasn't been won yet. Think before you post please and keep things civil, cheers.
    A bit more respect for the mod warning needed there T4TF!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

I made €70 last night in work. 2 lads were so confident that United won i convinced them to give me the draw aswell as Inter :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭ironingbored

titan18 wrote: »
    Loved Dunphy's quote there:

"Nedved is 36 and Del Piero ain't far behind"

Yet, he regularly hails Scholes as one if the best players around

Nedved is a former Ballon D'or, something Scoles never won. But the lads in the RTE studio are so anglo-centric this is no surprise. I'm sick of them going on about how bad Serie A and La Liga is. How do they know if they don't even watch it as evidenced by their ridiculous attempts at pronouncing players' names.

Del Piero has appeared 580 times for Juve and scored 254 goals and won everything in the game. His No. 10 jersey will be retired when he goes.

I still don't think the current English teams are in anyway comparable to the AC Milan teams of the 90s and Real Madrid at the turn of the century.

Rant over.

Nedved is a former Ballon D'or, something Scoles never won. But the lads in the RTE studio are so anglo-centric this is no surprise. I'm sick of them going on about how bad Serie A and La Liga is. How do they know if they don't even watch it as evidenced by their ridiculous attempts at pronouncing players' names.

Del Piero has appeared 580 times for Juve and scored 254 goals and won everything in the game. His No. 10 jersey will be retired when he goes.

I still don't think the current English teams are in anyway comparable to the AC Milan teams of the 90s and Real Madrid at the turn of the century.

Rant over.

That Milan team was something else. Italian football was savage back then. Its gone backwards these days though in regards to attendances and money in the league. Juve sometimes get only 10-15000 at their home matches, thats shocking considering the size of their stadium

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Very disappointed with the result as I hoped Madrid could at least get a win at home but once again Liverpool prove their worth in Europe. They should progress comfortably now and will hopefully meet stiffer opposition (i.e. an English team) in the next round.

Pighead wrote: »
    A bit more respect for the mod warning needed there T4TF!

I have not read the whole thread and did not see that post Pighead, I do not feel that I fall foul of that message either for that matter. I am not aware of too many Man U fans on this thread, but again I have not read it all, and I was simply stating that I am pleased that we did not dominate the game and get nothing positive from it, the most recent example of that was the Man U game.

I suggest that if you have a problem with a post you report it as per the rules of the forum.

I have not read the whole thread and did not see that post Pighead, I do not feel that I fall foul of that message either for that matter.

I suggest that if you have a problem with a post you report it as per the rules of the forum.

yeah, well said. Too much back seat modding and general trolling in this thread. It ruins the thread, but I guess thats the aim of a few

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Great result for Liverpool, even without Gerrard and despite Torres being injured. They really are a dangerous team in Europe, if they get through, which it looks like they will considering they have the home leg next plus the away goal, they'll be the team the "bigger" sides will want to avoid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

I have not read the whole thread and did not see that post Pighead, I do not feel that I fall foul of that message either for that matter. I am not aware of too many Man U fans on this thread, but again I have not read it all, and I was simply stating that I am pleased that we did not dominate the game and get nothing positive from it, the most recent example of that was the Man U game.

No problem at all this end T4TF. Just trying to save you from a ban/infraction.

Well thanks for your concern Piggy :)

I did not spot the warning but I am grateful that you brought it to my attention.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Rant over.

There has been at least one English side in each of the last four finals including two in the last one. The only other time thats happened in champions league history is when the Italians done it 95-98. Spain has never done it. Put another way 5 of the last 8 finalists have all been english.

• Advertisement

rarnes1 wrote: »
    That Milan team was something else. Italian football was savage back then. Its gone backwards these days though in regards to attendances and money in the league. Juve sometimes get only 10-15000 at their home matches, thats shocking considering the size of their stadium

Juve currently play at Turin's Stadio Olimpico with a very low 27,500 capacity during the redevelopment of the Stadio delle Alpi, which will become a 45,000 seater in 2011.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Juve currently play at Turin's Stadio Olimpico with a very low 27,500 capacity during the redevelopment of the Stadio delle Alpi, which will become a 45,000 seater in 2011.

schoolboy error by rarnes1, very Giles-like if I do say so myself...;)

redout wrote: »
    There has been at least one English side in each of the last four finals including two in the last one. The only other time thats happened in champions league history is when the Italians done it 95-98. Spain has never done it. Put another way 5 of the last 8 finalists have all been english.

I'm just saying that IMHO the Barca, AC Milan, Real and Juve teams at their absolute peak in the 1990s played better quality football and man-for-man were better than any team in the last 5 years (bar Barca 2006 maybe).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Great result for Liverpool, they'll be the team the "bigger" sides will want to avoid.

Only two teams are bigger than Liverpool in Europe, one is halfway out the door and the other is toiling in the UEFA Cup. None of the rest of the motley pose a threat bar Utd and Barca and the latter could be as hollow as Real Madrid if put under some proper pressure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Delighted with the result :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

redout wrote: »

91-98, not 95-98, and if we're taking the proper history of this competition, its been done a lot.

mike65 wrote: »
    Only two teams are bigger than Liverpool in Europe, one is halfway out the door and the other is toiling in the UEFA Cup. None of the rest of the motley pose a threat bar Utd and Barca and the latter could be as hollow as Real Madrid if put under some proper pressure.

That's why I used quotation marks. I wasn't basing it on history - that would have been a silly oversight! - what I meant with "bigger" was the usual big guns, the favourites in other words (justifiably or not): Man U, Barca in particular.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Indeed we are Mike. Nice of you to say though.

• Advertisement

loada me bollix

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

absolutelu super result, not the greatest performance or match for that matter but i'll take those all day long. somethin united couldn't do with a much better performance than we had

Iang87 wrote: »
    absolutelu super result, not the greatest performance or match for that matter but i'll take those all day long. somethin united couldn't do with a much better performance than we had

what have United to do with another great European night for Pool? :confused:

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Mike65 wrote:
    Only two teams are bigger than Liverpool in Europe

Are we still measuring teams by the number of stars on their shirts?

So united are 3 times larger than celtic who are half the size of porto but two fifths smaller than liverpool who are 2 sevenths smaller than....

:confused:

I think maybe we just go by recent form rather than the number of trophies our grandfathers read about in the readers digest.

I'm sure there's a great thread could be had discussing the history of the European Cup/Champions League, there seems enough interest in the performance of the RTE pundits these past two days to sustain a viable thread, and I know for a fact there's a Inter-United thread from last night.

Meanwhile, back here, there's a match between Real Madrid and Liverpool we could be chatting about.

Just a thought like.

Indeed we are Mike. Nice of you to say though.

City fan basking in reflected glory! :p

• Advertisement

Credit to liverpool where it's due but never let it be said that United fans that come and thread spoil - I've read four or five posts from pool fans who's only means of summing up liverpool's fantastic result is by comparing to united's lack of one.

Sad tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

hmmm very interesting ridiculous replies. next time i'll just state united didnt score an away goal, Munich scored 5, barca scored one, porto scored 2.

i was just saying we did something united couldnt i.e. the away goal am i clear now

Des wrote: »
    nothing, but it's ok to mention them

proof;

I know, tone is so ambiguous on the internet, though, meh.

And here's another thought...I just burned my toast while I was typing the above...thanks...:(

Iang87 wrote: »
    hmmm very interesting ridiculous replies. next time i'll just state united didnt score an away goal, Munich scored 5, barca scored one, porto scored 2.

i was just saying we did something united couldnt i.e. the away goal am i clear now
    Hey, if the only way you can enjoy a result is by comparing it to United's result by all means keep trucking dude.

• Advertisement

Credit to liverpool where it's due but never let it be said that United fans that come and thread spoil - I've read four or five posts from pool fans who's only means of summing up liverpool's fantastic result is by comparing to united's lack of one.

Sad tbh.

whoops, looks like you missed the warning too

I think maybe we just go by recent form rather than the number of trophies our grandfathers read about in the readers digest.

Thats fair enough, one win, two finals, three semi finals in last four years means Liverpool are the biggest team in Europe. Argument over.

/exits stage left.

Thats fair enough, one win, two finals, three semi finals in last four years means Liverpool are the biggest team in Europe. Argument over.
    It's a lot more relevant than the "european pedigree" and "more stars = bigger club = more chance of winning" ****e.

OK, seems this thread is going nowhere fast.

Well done.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement