Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Real Madrid vs Liverpool [Match Thread] CL Round 2, Leg 1 Wednesday 25 Feb 19.45

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

eZe^ wrote: »
    Real's defensive record under Juande has been formidable Redout, since the Barcelona game they have only conceded 2 goals in 10 games.

They have played nine la liga games since Barca no ? Who was the 10th game. I know they conceded only 2 but going forward they were nothing special apart from the past week were they knocked in 10 of their 22 goal on this nine game run. I fancy Pool, Liverpool will be the most difficut side Real have played since the Barca game so lets see how they fair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

They had a 3-0 win in the CL under Ramos as well.

Valencia are a decent side and started that run of wins in a game I went to and which Real should have scored about 5 but only scored 1.

On paper I reckon Real have a better squad and a better first 11, and combined with their form compared to Liverpool's, I thinks Benitez will need a lot of luck in order to prevail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

I think this one will be tight and will be decided on away goals. Would like to see us really go after them at their place, couple of goals could kill this tie off but I do not think Rafa will go for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,102 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I think this one will be tight and will be decided on away goals. Would like to see us really go after them at their place, couple of goals could kill this tie off but I do not think Rafa will go for it.

tbh i think thats exactly what he'll do, same as he did against Barca, really just go out at full speed playing at the full english tempo to unsettle them and try and get a goal earlyish, then can break for the rest of the match and hopefully get another. I expect Masch to be key giving absolutely no time for composure to any Real players on the ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

but I do not think Rafa will go for it.

To really go for it would be wreckless.. There is nothing I would like more than to see us play them off the park but that could also result in us being 2, 3 or even 4 down after the 1st leg... That is an unacceptable risk and I am relieved that Rafa wouldn't dare take that risk.

I will accept a boring 1 - 1 draw :)

I agree that we try to run the life out of them too.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

I think Real will win an...ahem...purists tie with a 1-0 win in Madrid. From Robben.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,999 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I have to say I fancy Real to win this one. When a team is full of confidence its a huge bonus and they have been superb over the last while. Robben and Sneijder can cause so many problems and the likes of Lucas and Masch have to have huge games if Liverpool are to stay in this tie.

With Gerard not fully fit and unlikely to play any part, I think it would be foolish to even risk him this early unless he has made a miraculous recovery, I think Liverpool will struggle to create many chances. The one thing in their favour is Torres' record against Madrid.

I think if Liverpool could get out of here only 1-0 down it would be a great result for them.

On Real Madrid, they play kind of similar to Liverpool with two holding midfielders, the difference to me is the quality and flair they have beyond there, and they play two strikers with Raul dropping off.

I expect to see this side for Real

Casillas
    Sergio Ramos
    Cannanvaro
    Pepe
    Heinze
    Gago
    L. Diarra
    ---Sneijder
    Robben---
    Raul

Higuan

Dudek, Gomez, Metzelder, Guti, Marcelo, Saviola, Huntelaar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Highsider

Exciting 1-1 draw with Kuyt to score for the super reds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

The difference between Madrid playing two holding midfielders and Liverpool doing so is that they are different style of players. Mascherano is an out and out defensive powerhouse, who is excellent at winning the ball, but really relies on Alonso to distribute, on the other hand, Alonso is competant defensively (as he intercepts passes well) but he is the creative spark to the team, he doesn't make advanced runs much though. Infact, I'd say with liverpool it's more of a DMF----CMF partnership.

Whereas in Madrid, it's basically two more all around CMF's in the middle of the park. Gago is very competent in both defense and attack, and the same can be said for Lassy. Lassy is better defensively, so he is the one who fills in for Sergio Ramos when the RB goes on his forward runs, and Gago has set up some wonderful goals for his team mates this season. The difference is that collectively Lass/ Gago are more comfortable on the ball and distributing it than the combination of Alonso/ Mascherano.

Alonso may be better than both Gago and Diarra in attack, and Mascherano may be better defensively than both of them. But when you look at both teams collective midfields, Gago and Diarra is more balanced imo. Also, Madrid will have the returning Guti to put into the midfield in the 2nd half if they need to unlock Liverpool's defense, and there is not many better players in world football at the through pass than that dirty **** Guti.

The most important thing for me is if Madrid's right side of Ramos and Robben can cause havoc on Liverpool's flank, if Lassana Diarra can cover for Ramos adequately (he has every game so far that he's played) and if Mascherano can shut down the supply lines from Madrid's midfield to their forward line. (there's always the high risk of a Gerrard screamer/ dive in the 93rd minute, but that's too unpredictable to be a key match up in the game)

Score prediction? 2-1, Higuain, Robben and Mascherano. (Torres won't get over the Bernabeu curse)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

I'm quietly confident about this game:

Reina

Arbeloa
    Carragher
    Skrtel
    Aurelio

Mascherano
    Alonso

Kuyt
    Benayoun
    Babel

Torres

I have a funny feeling we'll see Babel play tonight. I'm sure Ramos will give him loads of space (and even if he doesn't i don't really rate him as a defender).

I think it will be 2-1 to Liverpool (Torres, Kuyt, Raul)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,725 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

I have a funny feeling we'll see Babel play tonight.

Bet you 10 grand we won't. ;)

I'm sure Ramos will give him loads of space (and even if he doesn't i don't really rate him as a defender).

Still 100 times better than any fullbacks that Liverpool have to be fair.

Sergio Ramos - another overrated lump. Euro 2008 he was rubbish, one of the worst in the Spain side and there were not many of those. He made a couple of Errors and cost them at least one or more goals from my memory. I can remember Puyol screaming at him after it happened. I saw it and alot of persons here in Madrid I know said the same thing.

Sigh redout. Thought you'd have actually made an educated argument on the lad considering you watch La Liga. He had a bad Euros up until the quarters (from then on he was excellent). Luca Toni was sh*t at Euros, is he another 'overrated lump'. Sergio Ramos remains one of the best full backs in Europe, he's been fantastic the past 5/6 games for Madrid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Sorry lads, I know you's love La Liga and all that and sure, Barcelona are looking good this year but... did I miss a couple of years where Spanish football usurped the PL as the dominant force in Europe or something?

Liverpool have nothing to fear in this tie. Rafa will have been preparing for this since the draw and will be loving the challenge of beating his old club.

• Advertisement

PiE wrote: »
    Liverpool have nothing to fear in this tie. Rafa will have been preparing for this since the draw and will be loving the challenge of beating his old /new club.

:D

Sigh redout. Thought you'd have actually made an educated argument on the lad considering you watch La Liga. He had a bad Euros up until the quarters (from then on he was excellent). Luca Toni was sh*t at Euros, is he another 'overrated lump'. Sergio Ramos remains one of the best full backs in Europe, he's been fantastic the past 5/6 games for Madrid.

He is overrated and error prone. I dont know how that rates you as one of the best ? He is not at the top and is a level below it. He was also on the verge of being dropped from the starting XI at Euro 2008 after a run in with Aragones. He never seems to show anything special in my opinion but then again yours and mine differ. If you want to talk about the best in terms of RBs then Maicon is top dog and most certainly another planet to a sergio ramos. Even Philip Lahm an immense LB can do a better job when stuck on the right by Bayern.

Boggles wrote: »
    I add absolutely nothing of note to this entire form :D

Fixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,281 ✭✭✭slingerz

Reina

Arbeloa
    Carragher
    Skrtel
    Aurelio

Mascherano
    Alonso

Kuyt
    Gerrard
    Riera

Torres

Subs: Cavalieri, Dossena, Hyypia, Lucas, Benyaoun, Babel, El Zhar

The bench is where Liverpool are let down. Where is the quality going to come from.
    Compared to the squads of United, Madrid, Chelsea, Arsenal etc they are berift of the quality required. Only about £100 million worth of investement would make them comparable and even then that might not even be enough.

Robben to bag a brace for Madrid in a 3-0 win

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Still 100 times better than any fullbacks that Liverpool have to be fair.

not at defending. Going forward it's probably times a thousand though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

eagle eye wrote: »
    I have to say I fancy Real to win this one. When a team is full of confidence its a huge bonus and they have been superb over the last while. Robben and Sneijder can cause so many problems and the likes of Lucas and Masch have to have huge games if Liverpool are to stay in this tie.

With Gerard not fully fit and unlikely to play any part, I think it would be foolish to even risk him this early unless he has made a miraculous recovery, I think Liverpool will struggle to create many chances. The one thing in their favour is Torres' record against Madrid.

I think if Liverpool could get out of here only 1-0 down it would be a great result for them.
    Gerrard has had a couple of weeks to recover from his knock and i have heard ex footballers say that he should have enough time to recover for tomorrow so i would not be in the least bit surprised to see him play. Maybe as a sub maybe from the start.

Either way i think it's unlikely that Lucas will be playing anyway. Alonso and Masch are the 2 holding players and i don't see Lucas getting in as a more attacking option. Unless they go 3 in CM which would be a major surprise.

Real do have a reasonable bench, but i'm pretty sure that Huntelaar is ineligible cause they registered Diarra instead.

The difference between Madrid playing two holding midfielders and Liverpool doing so is that they are different style of players. Mascherano is an out and out defensive powerhouse, who is excellent at winning the ball, but really relies on Alonso to distribute, on the other hand, Alonso is competant defensively (as he intercepts passes well) but he is the creative spark to the team, he doesn't make advanced runs much though. Infact, I'd say with liverpool it's more of a DMF----CMF partnership.

Whereas in Madrid, it's basically two more all around CMF's in the middle of the park. Gago is very competent in both defense and attack, and the same can be said for Lassy. Lassy is better defensively, so he is the one who fills in for Sergio Ramos when the RB goes on his forward runs, and Gago has set up some wonderful goals for his team mates this season. The difference is that collectively Lass/ Gago are more comfortable on the ball and distributing it than the combination of Alonso/ Mascherano.

Alonso may be better than both Gago and Diarra in attack, and Mascherano may be better defensively than both of them. But when you look at both teams collective midfields, Gago and Diarra is more balanced imo. Also, Madrid will have the returning Guti to put into the midfield in the 2nd half if they need to unlock Liverpool's defense, and there is not many better players in world football at the through pass than that dirty **** Guti.
    Couldn't disagree more. I like Gago as a player but i wouldn't have him over Alonso anytime. If your team were going to have one or other of those 2 MF combinations would you really go with Gago/Diarra? Mascher isn't even having his best season and he's still one of the best DMF's in the world. I don't think Diarra quite falls into that catagory.

Liverpools midfield combo is a defensive one because they are the holding midfielders and the system they play means that these stay deeper than you would get in a traditional 4-4-2.
    If Alonso or Mascherano were getting too far forward it would reduce the space in which Gerrard has, between midfield and defence.

If Gerrard starts i think Diarra will play the same role as Mascherano and concentrate on snuffing him out, leaving Alonso and Gago to go head to head.

I would be slightly worried if Sneijder is playing cause he is a class act and not the type of player that Arbeloa will easily shut out.

I never said I think that the midfield of Gago/ Diarra was better than Alonso/ Mascherano, I just think it is more balanced. At this moment in their careers Mascherano and Alonso are definitely the more accomplished and experienced players but I would say that I think the way Gago/ Diarra match up for Madrids midfield is better than Alonso/ Mascherano at Liverpool.

But that's more down to how Benitez has such a strict regime over his players and the lack of creative freedom he gives to players. I think he really strangles the creative juices of some of the players in the Liverpool team because of the restricted formations he plays. Again, that's an argument for another day though really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

PiE wrote: »
    Sorry lads, I know you's love La Liga and all that and sure, Barcelona are looking good this year but... did I miss a couple of years where Spanish football usurped the PL as the dominant force in Europe or something?

Liverpool have nothing to fear in this tie. Rafa will have been preparing for this since the draw and will be loving the challenge of beating his old club.

No but did I miss the period when Liverpool became any kind of dominating team? It's not Chelsea or Man Utd, it's Liverpool who's squad pales in comparison to Real's

Two finals and a semi final in four years would indicate that yes, yes you did miss it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

I never said I think that the midfield of Gago/ Diarra was better than Alonso/ Mascherano, I just think it is more balanced. At this moment in their careers Mascherano and Alonso are definitely the more accomplished and experienced players but I would say that I think the way Gago/ Diarra match up for Madrids midfield is better than Alonso/ Mascherano at Liverpool.

But that's more down to how Benitez has such a strict regime over his players and the lack of creative freedom he gives to players. I think he really strangles the creative juices of some of the players in the Liverpool team because of the restricted formations he plays. Again, that's an argument for another day though really.

Suppose we'll just have to wait and see.

I don't agree about the creative freedom that Benitez gives his players. I think the creative players in Liverpools team are given the freedom they need. The problem for me is that there are not enough creative players.

Alonso is a great passer and i think he is essential in the 2 man holding midfield (albeit slightly more attacking than Masch) as the passer who makes things tick. I don't think Benitez would ever try and reduce the time he spends in possession of the ball, or stop him picking decisive passes.
    Same goes for Benayoun, he is a squad player but when he plays he does so with freedom and is not restricted at all i would say. When Agger plays at CB he is allowed / encouraged to go forward from defence and create chances. I think if a manager had problems allow creative freedom to his players then his CB's would be the first one's to be straitjacketed.

Some players like Kuyt don't have the creativity that i think is required to play RWF but he keeps proving that his workrate and ability to score crucial goals is the reason he's in the team.

I can only assume that you were refering to XA when you talk about how he "strangles the creative juices of some of the players in the Liverpool team". I think XA could play further forward, but the best system for utilisation of the whole team is a 4-2-3-1 so Xabi is one of the 2 holding players. I don't think it affects him adversley though, he has probably been our best player this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Assuming Gerrard is fit, our most likely line-up I presume is as follows

Reina
    Arbeloa Carra Skrtel Aurelio
    Masch Alonso
    Kuyt Gerrard Reina
    Torres

In terms of game changers Benayoun would be the most likely sub.

Subs: Cavalieri, Hyypia, Dossena, Lucas, Babel, Benayoun, Ngog, Darby, Spearing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Jesus, is there a game tonight?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Melion wrote: »
    Jesus, is there a game tonight?

I think some FA Cup action, not sure if there's anything else on ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

This is going to be a massive match tonight. 14 European Cups between these 2 Monster of Clubs. The atmosphere will be terrific, Add Liverpool's Spanish contingent (Thanks Rafa) into the mix. This tie will be not be matched for the remainder of the year.

This is one to sit back, crack open a can & savour every single moment. Olé

This is going to be a massive match tonight. 14 European Cups between these 2 Monster of Clubs. The atmosphere will be terrific, Add Liverpool's Spanish contingent (Thanks Rafa) into the mix. This tie will be not be matched for the remainder of the year.

I think Rafa will park the bus, Madrid will struggle to break them down, could well be 0-0 dull fest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Boggles wrote: »
    I think Rafa will park the bus, Madrid will struggle to break them down, could well be 0-0 dull fest.

couldn't agree more tbh.

doesn't mean i'd like it any less! :pac:

0-0, given madrid's form, would be a result i'd take at this moment in time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Have to agree, the 2nd leg will be the one to savour

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

As I said - one to savour :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

I don't know about Rafa parking the bus. I can't see him changing from his 4-2-3-1 formation, its up to Alonso and Mascherano (haven't checked team news) to get control in the game and keep the pressure off Liverpool by retaining position.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

As I said - one to savour :D
    :D

You should be a salesman!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭mormank

hey. does anyone know where i can watch this online??

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭coco06

kuyt to score and it will be 1-1.. if we can come out flying at the start of both halves we might be able to stiffle them then..

should be a good one, i was going to say at least it will be 90 mins away from all the Rafa talk, but the commentators will prob be on about it over and over..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

coco06 wrote: »
    kuyt to score and it will be 1-1.. if we can come out flying at the start of both halves we might be able to stiffle them then..

exactly what im hoping for anyway

it would a brilliant result for liverpool

• Closed Accounts Posts: 722 ✭✭✭busted flush

I fancy Madrid here , in a big way , the pools form since Xmas has been dismal. I see this game going 3-0.

• Advertisement

stevie G is on the bench and torres and kuyt are up front according to ssn

I fancy Madrid here , in a big way , the pools form since Xmas has been dismal. I see this game going 3-0.

I dont see us conceeding 3. i think getting through to the next round will be just the thing to get us back on track, all though it maybe a bit too late for the league anyway.

1-1 or 0-0 and we will go through to the next round. if its 1-1 tonight it will be 0-0 in anfield.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Team in, my guess for formation.

Reina,
    Arbeloa, Carra, Skrtel, Aurelio,
    Benayoun, Alonso, Masch, Riera
    Torres, Kuyt.

Subs: Cavalieri, Dossena, Hyypia, Gerrard, Lucas, Babel, Ngog.

Liverpool team to play Real Madrid: Reina, Aurelio, Arbeloa, Carragher, Skrtel, Riera, Benayoun, Alonso, Mascherano, Torres, Kuyt

News just in: Steven Gerrard is on the Liverpool bench tonight.

mike65 wrote: »

Reina,
    Torres, Kuyt.

this team is good enough to get a goal tonight. no agger at all?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Agger is injured, bad back.

• Advertisement

Reina,
    Torres, Kuyt.

yap thats the right formation mike

very interest line up there

its looking like rafa's going for the win, which means it could be a win opened game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,102 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I'd say we'l start with Mike's predicted formation, and can always switch Kuyt wide and Yossi in behind Torres if needs be as well. Adds creativity in the center, and stifles Madrids dangerous left hand side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 722 ✭✭✭busted flush

Reina,
    Torres, Kuyt.

to be fair with the exception of gerard an agger, this is the pools strongest line up. Id say he is trying to impress the spanish media!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

I'm surprised all y'all think that Kuyt is not going to be out on the right with Benny in the hole of a 4-2-3-1... Why you all think 4-4-2 is most likely..??

spockety wrote: »
    Why you all think 4-4-2 is most likely..??

because thats what sky sports are reporting

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement