Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Real Madrid vs Liverpool [Match Thread] CL Round 2, Leg 1 Wednesday 25 Feb 19.45

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭coco06

lucas doin better than stevie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Think S Lisbon have a bit of an uphill battle for the second leg -- 5-0 down! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Highsider

Rafa benitez....Rafa benitez...Rafa benitez..What a legend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

rarnes1 wrote: »
    dont give it to Lucus !

great interception by Lucas.

Fantastic win! Well done lads, completely nullified Madrid.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭coco06

Dave! wrote: »
    Think Villareal have a bit of an uphill battle for the second leg -- 5-0 down! :eek:

ye mean sporting?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Another legendary European performance. Never leave us Rafa, never leave us!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Dave! wrote: »
    Think Villareal have a bit of an uphill battle for the second leg -- 5-0 down! :eek:

what?

it's 1 - 1 ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

My god Real Madrid were woeful, much like Inter in the first-half last night. I said Liverpool would win this tie but which such ease is a surprise.

ntlbell wrote: »
    right.

you bring stevie G to madrid don't play him he's just back from injury and you bring him on for 7 minutes for no particular reason

yes your right...i'm pathetic.
    You said it buddy. Your bias is there for all to see. Embarassing :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

eZe^ wrote: »
    Their team in 2006-2007 was definitely worse, they won due to Capello, Casillas and Van Nistelrooy.

You could be right, but it would be awfully close. At least Inter Milan had some fight in them for 20 minutes last night and Juventus look to have woken up after 25 minutes against Chelsea tonight for a bit.

It's a terrible sign when Arjen Robben is the player with the most heart in your side.

Credit to Liverpool, work ethic and organisation was second to none tonight. Easy to see how they do so well in Europe against these big clubs with their so called superstars and poor attitudes. It also highlights why they fail miserably against crap sides.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭Harpy

well real madrid were awful, Liverpool got the goal fair dues.was quite a boring match..
    yer only worry now is torres.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,103 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

ntlbell wrote: »
    right.

you bring stevie G to madrid don't play him he's just back from injury and you bring him on for 7 minutes for no particular reason

yes your right...i'm pathetic.

If nothing else, Im positive Gerrard would very much like to be able to say He's played at the Bernabeu. Nothing to lose. He's obviously not a serious injury risk, just not fully fit. I've no doubt he'd have been on earlier had we gone behind.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Walk on, walk on...

The fans who made the trip have been ****ing fantastic tonight.

+1 . The downside of living in Eire, cant be a "real" fan. The crack them diehards must have is priceless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

well done liverpool

a superb win,and great defensive display

masch MOTM for me

but ya feckers costed me money (shakes fist)

• Advertisement

next

Highsider wrote: »
    You said it buddy. Your bias is there for all to see. Embarassing :)

i said liverpool will stroll into the next round?

the commentators thought it was strange gerrard were was brought on are they bias too?

stop talking nonsense "buddy"

Against any other team, bringing Gerrard on would have been a risk, but sure Real had no fight at all in them so I think it was safe enough. Although Riera did get hockeyed in a bad tackle at about the same time!

Benitez just compared to Jack Charlton.

Giles reckons we'd play the same way against Stoke at Anfield

John Giles says the same thing EVERY WEEK.

"Bill, every manager has a philosphy, and if you look at the players he's bought, it shows his philosphy.."

"Honesty of effort.."

• Advertisement

Does'nt look to me from Rafa's reaction tonight from the bench that he'll be leaving anytime soon. Sorry bout that Rafa haters.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Funny - just before the free kick I said that Aurelio and Benayoun had been our best players in the second half. Aurelio takes the free kick and Benayoun heads it in! :cool:

Pretty dull game but a good defensive performance from Liverpool. I thought the Liverpool back four were superb, as was Mascherano. Benayoun really came alive in the second half and did really well.

Our inability to do something with the ball when we get it doesnt seem to have improved since 04/05! Which is worrying. I thought Robben was brilliant, I'd almost give him man of the match even though they lost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Madrid are paper tigers, stick them in the Prem and see them whither.

that madrid team is really poor,I taught Pepe had a good game,maybe Robben too but he went missing in the 2nd half

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Very good result - away goal is vital.

This was a game where our defence was immense, especially Skrtel and Carra who just shut down Raul and Higuain.

Reina - reliable as ever, distribution could have been slightly better
    Arbeloa - also reliable as ever,
    Skrtel - Immense. Stuck like glue, didn’t allow Madrid’s front two any room
    Carragher - Immense. Stuck like glue, didn’t allow Madrid’s front two any room
    Aurelio - did a good job overall on Robben
    Benayoun - looked lively, kept popping up and of course got the goal.
    Alonso - poor game maybe a bit rusty? seems to have lost a bit of form the last while
    Mascherano - provided cover to the defence, covering back , winning tackles. Legend
    Riera - looked nervous initially, could have put more preessure on Ramos, then just had a mare throughout, don't think he has had a worse performance in a Liverpool shirt. Hopefully a one-off. Possibly the only reason he was left on so long was the lack of a decent option on the bench.
    Torres - very isolated up front, didn’t get much in the way of protection from the ref. Injured after 20 mins yet only came off after 61. Even when injured was one of our better players.
    Kuyt - Steady performance more than anything, better in the second half than in the first didn’t add a massive amount going forward.
    Babel - Playing as striker for thirty mins, he didnt really convince, especially against a defence that wasn't playing well. Continues to baffle.
    Gerrard - awful, did nothing of note when he came on :p
    Lucas - looked lively when he came on for a cameo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Calm it down lads. Do not turn this into another Utd / Liverpool circle jerk. And there shouldn't be any need to rub stuff in people's faces btw - as the tie hasn't been won yet. Think before you post please and keep things civil, cheers.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    John Giles says the same thing EVERY WEEK.

"Bill, every manager has a philosphy, and if you look at the players he's bought, it shows his philosphy.."

"Honesty of effort.."

Giles is correct in what he is saying though. Liverpool under Benitez are very one dimensional, they are functional and do struggle against weaker teams because of this. It's also exactly why they have done so well against big teams in Europe.

I don't think any of that is unfair to say.

lol at Dunphy on Rafa "If you try to do something unexpected, something exciting, he'll chop your legs off!"

this the man that Wanted to buy Villa, Alves, Simao, Aguero all well known skillful exciting players, and who did buy a number of skillful exciting players for the next generation...

Ha Ha listen to Dunphy. Fantastic result for Liverpool tonight and they go on about how much they don't rate Rafa :D what a bunch of bitters

Babel - Playing as striker for thirty mins, he didnt really convince, especially against a defence that wasn't playing well. Continues to baffle.

He needed some ammo and wasn't getting any to be fair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

eZe^ wrote: »
    Nah, not a big deal considering Iniesta is a Spaniard living in Spain, and is ACTUALLY a ghost. Rumour has it Madrid wanted to sign him because if he put on the white kit he'd actually turn invisible.

Sure look at the cut of Riera. He has a head on him like a fcuking junkie. Where the fcuk in Spain is he from?

so who was the officially MOTM ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

fkin hell giles is seriously insane bill cant stand him:(

look at the horrible little smile on Whelans face.

Bitter bitter pundits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

mike65 wrote: »

Probably true but he still didnt really impress - I know it's hard to come on as sub and the service wasn't the best but I just don't know anymore.

mike65 wrote: »

very true, every ball was either hoofed up into the air, or overhit way off into the corners, very little he could work with.

look at the horrible little smile on Whelans face.

i think when ronnie whelean is saying he doesn't like watching liverpool that's a very honest assessment he's not looking for headlines

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

nuxxx wrote: »
    fkin hell giles is seriously insane bill cant stand him:(

Why he makes perfectly valid points. He says the same things every week about Liverpool because it's the same problem week in week out. Win or no win.

It's the last issue Liverpool have that could win them the league. Ronnie is spot on too, Liverpool are incredibly boring. Definitely prefer watching Utd play football than Liverpool, even though I hate them winning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

ibh wrote: »
    Sure look at the cut of Riera. He has a head on him like a fcuking junkie. Where the fcuk in Spain is he from?

I think he used to play at Mallorca as a kid, so maybe he spent his time on the harbour smoking crack with the Turkish millionaires who sailed in on their big expensive yachts....

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Calm it down lads. Do not turn this into another Utd / Liverpool circle jerk. And there shouldn't be any need to rub stuff in people's faces btw - as the tie hasn't been won yet. Think before you post please and keep things civil, cheers.

All the liverpool threads turn out like this and its the same culprits

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,310 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

I will take a 1-0 back to Anfield and now Sky doing there best to try and keep Rafa unsettled asking about his contract

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Rafa refusing to comment on the contract.

...oh and in reply to this:
    Boluda has taunted Liverpool ahead of the Champions League game at the Bernabeu by claiming his team will cruise to victory and win 5-1 over the two legs.

Boluda added: "We will win 3-0 in the Bernabeu which will be a great party. Then we will win 2-1 in Liverpool.'

"We will go on to win the Champions League. We will win the league, too. I have been saying this for weeks and I'll say it again now."

DIRK AND ROLL BABY

340x.jpg

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Every time I watch a Liverpool CL match on RTE, and they win, they don't bother their holes to analyse the match. It's always 20 minutes of sh1te after the final whistle, the exact same bloody script every time. Then 4 minutes of 'analysis', followed by highlights of the other match.

• Advertisement

Melion wrote: »
    Rafa refusing to comment on the contract.

thats a bit unfair on the fans, at least he could say "he wants to stay at pool" or somthing

Well thats an ecumenical matter for a different thread.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Headshot wrote: »
    thats a bit unfair on the fans, at least he could say "he wants to stay at pool" or somthing

Liverpool fans who support Benitez don't need to hear that from him, we know what is going on, he owes us nothing, we owe him everything.

Those who don't support him would be horrified if he said it anyway.

Headshot wrote: »

He doesnt need to. Everyone knows what he wants. He has said it time and time again. He wants to stay at Liverpool for years and years. However, if he doesnt get full control over transfers (which is a reasonable thing to ask) he wont stay. Everyone already knows this.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Oh, now on RTE he says he is going nowhere. GO ON RAFA!!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement