Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Champions League

Options
  • 23-02-2009 12:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭

Alright, let the games begin. It is great to have the CL back and some of the matches are awesome - pitching the best that Europe have to offer against each other.

Regards betting-wise I will be backing in 3 of the matches:

Inter - Man Utd.
    A cracker to get the ball rolling and this will be close but Utd. are missing the Beast - Vidic and also Evans so Inter have a real chance of getting something from this. While not setting the world alight, Inter are strolling Serie A again this year and have an awesome home record. Ibrahimovic is in outstanding form and is the key to this match
    Verdict: Inter Win - draw no bet 4-5 Boyles

Real Madrid - Liverpool
    Another cracker and the main question is will Stevie G be playing and will he at 100% after missing 3 weeks. Real are in the form of their season and since Ramos took over I think they have won 9 on the bounce with an impeccable defensive record - they banged in 6 on Saturday at the Bernabeu. Robben is one of the best players in Europe and if he can produce on the night Madrid could actually go to town on Liverpool.
    Verdict: Madrid 11-10 Boyles

Chelsea - Juventus
    Could be a bit of a bore this match but still fascinating. Juve are doing well in Serie A but still rely on Del Piero/Nedved and simply dont have that many world-class players anymore. Hiddink taking over Chelsea is the shot in the arm they needed and they put in a good performance on Sat allbeit Drogba is way off the pace but Anelka is lethal.
    Verdict: Chelsea win 5-6 Boyles

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

3 good calls there I reckon. Good stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

3 draws anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭PIMPHO

I'd say under 2.5 goals in all 3 matches would be a good shout.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,417 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

United
    Liverpool
    Chelsea draw

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

Might be value in all 4 premiership teams to progress to next round at 13/2

• Advertisement

Not sure that would a wise bet this season to be honest. Arsenal can't buy a goal away, Utds defence stretched, Liverpool a bit hit 'n miss. Chelsea might well be the best bet! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭paddyb125

Barca look good at evens

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Browney7 wrote: »

I think they're way overvalued by the UK market tbh. Too much patriotic money going on them and if you're going to bet on them the value bet is to go against progressing.

I'd say Chelsea will progress but have real doubts about the other three teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

gosplan wrote: »
    I think they're way overvalued by the UK market tbh. Too much patriotic money going on them and if you're going to bet on them the value bet is to go against progressing.

I'd say Chelsea will progress but have real doubts about the other three teams.[/QUOTE]

I agree with this - there are real doubts about the other 3 going through - the one thing Utd and Liverpool have in their favour is playing the 2nd leg at home as both have savage home records in Europe and they would be confident of at least pulling back a 1 goal deficit if not 2. TBH apart from Barca they have got the 2 toughest draws possible and Real and Inter are more than capable of scoring away from home too. I think Liverpool will fail to qualify whereas Utd. and Inter is a toss up - probably leaning towards Utd.

paddyb125 wrote: »
    Barca look good at evens

Ya i am getting more tempted by this as the day goes on

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭shepthedog

Over two legs United will have too much for Inter.. I can see Arsenal falling to Roma and Chelsea going through against Juve..

The Liverpool one is hard to call, they record in European competitions makes them a force to be reckoned with but on current form?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

Arsenal draw tonight I think (although I'd love win).

Defenisve problems seem to have faded out, we're unbeaten in 18 games 8 of which are draws. Arshavin, Ade, Eduardo, Fabregas all out so attacking options limited to RvP and Bentner (complete stocking).

Midfield is very light on attacking options with Nasri (and Diaby pending late fitness test) being the only creative threat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭shepthedog

PIMPHO wrote: »
    I'd say under 2.5 goals in all 3 matches would be a good shout.

This is a good call and will have a few quid on...

Liverpool draw/no bet is 5/2. Thats not too bad.

mike65 wrote: »
    Liverpool draw/no bet is 5/2. Thats not too bad.

I cant find this anywhere as 5-2 seems a bit big - the biggest i see is 2-1.

http://www.oddschecker.com/football/champions-league/real-madrid-v-liverpool/draw-no-bet

Warper wrote: »
    I cant find this anywhere as 5-2 seems a bit big

Me neither...PP have it at 7/4

Just checked I use metric odds its 2.75 on PP thats about 7-4.

Ah spotted, anyway decent price.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

Yeah, just nowhere near enough value there for me with some tough ties to get through for all 4.

Can't decide on Utd-Inter (Inter draw no bet seems sensible) but 3 draws for Arsenal, 'Pool and Utd is tempting.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

Man u to win
    arsenal to draw
    blackburn to win

~ 24/1

• Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

Inter Milan v Man Utd
    Correct Score
    Draw 2 - 2

Lyon v Barcelona
    Correct Score
    Barcelona 1 - 0

Atletico Madrid v Porto
    Correct Score
    Draw 0 - 0

Arsenal v Roma
    Correct Score
    Draw 0 - 0

6719/1

• Advertisement

Ace2007 wrote: »
    blackburn to win

I think blackburn could slip up here, Coventry will really be up for it and Blackburn will value their premiership status much more than advancing in the FA Cup. Coventry to qualify for the next round at evens looks good to me:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

I'm on Inter and Inter-1 at 5-1 tonight. The odds would be the exact same if Vidic and Neville were there and that's just wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I'm looking at the goalscorer markets... Ibra and Ronaldo are 6/1, Berba is 7/1 all for first goalscorer. Also if Ronaldo scores last, then losing 1st and last scorer bets are refunded (PP).

Think I may back Berba and/or Ibra

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

Dave! wrote: »
    Think I may back Berba and/or Ibra

Don't know bout that to be honest.A friend of mine told me today that Ibrahimovic has never scored in the knockout stages of the champions league:eek:
    I have a feeling it might be someone like Scholes or Carrick that might sneak first goal

• Registered Users Posts: 23,567 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Took

Athletico
    Barca
    Inter

9/1 :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 45,417 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

all 4 english teams to draw this week 112/1

Van persie, stankovitz and Benzema first goalscorer treble 538/1 !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Don't know bout that to be honest.A friend of mine told me today that Ibrahimovic has never scored in the knockout stages of the champions league:eek:
    I have a feeling it might be someone like Scholes or Carrick that might sneak first goal

Then Berbatov it is :p Maybe I'll leave it actually
    Frisbee wrote: »
    Took

Athletico
    Barca
    Inter

9/1 :eek:

That'll be about 10/1 if you put in United instead ;) And plus you'll actually win the bet! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,567 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Dave! wrote: »
    That'll be about 10/1 if you put in United instead ;) And plus you'll actually win the bet! :D

Pffft.
    Nasri first to score for Arsenal aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 797 ✭✭✭aya14

I've gone for
    Inter-United draw
    Arsenal-Roma away win
    A.Madrid-Porto home win
    Lyon-Barcelona draw
    pays 90.8/1 on boyles

gl with your bets men

• Advertisement

Bayern
    Chelsea