Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phd Advice

Options
  • 23-02-2009 1:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭

Hi i was just wondering if someone could tell me what kind of jobs would be open to me if i completed a Phd in physics/astrophysics apart from postdoc. I ask this because i am thinking about applying for a Phd in the UK. Is the UKs structure the same as ours? I take it you obviously still get paid like in Ireland while carrying out your research? Has anyone applied to the UK before for a Phd?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Darren1o1

Hi i was just wondering if someone could tell me what kind of jobs would be open to me if i completed a Phd in physics/astrophysics apart from postdoc. I ask this because i am thinking about applying for a Phd in the UK. Is the UKs structure the same as ours? I take it you obviously still get paid like in Ireland while carrying out your research? Has anyone applied to the UK before for a Phd?

Thanks

Any particular focus? This may be helpful in determining what career your phd could be used in.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭HankScorpio1985

well i have a degree in physics&astrophysics from TCD and i am currently doing an MSc in Medical Physics but im not sure if thats what id like to do for the rest of my life. I would like to do a Phd in astrophysics or maybe particle or nuclear physics even. I was just looking at UK universities because they seem to offer a better range of Phds.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Darren1o1

well i have a degree in physics&astrophysics from TCD and i am currently doing an MSc in Medical Physics but im not sure if thats what id like to do for the rest of my life. I would like to do a Phd in astrophysics or maybe particle or nuclear physics even. I was just looking at UK universities because they seem to offer a better range of Phds.

Well you should looking into jobs now maybe. You would more than likely be working in R&D, getting a project management course under your belt may help you before getting into industry. Perhaps search about the nuclear industry in England and France for openings, see what you need to get there? Other places like intel like to hired Phd's in physics as do others in the semiconductor industry. My advice would be to look for a PhD with an industrial partner, this is quite typical in England.

Advertisement