Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why does Paddy Whiskey have a bad rep?

Options
  • 23-02-2009 1:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭

Just wondering why some people think Paddy Whiskey is so bad?

I had some prejudices towards it based on what I'd read/heard, but tried it recently and couldn't really fault it, except that it had very little character. Nothing which particularly distinguishes it from other Whiskies. Is this, and its cheaper price tag, the reason for all the derision?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Brockagh

It's used to be a bit spirity, but I have not tried it in a long time. Jameson, Powers, Paddy etc all change over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Brockagh wrote: »
    It's used to be a bit spirity.

Yea that's the reason I have heard why some look down on it, but also but also why some like it as it give it a bit of character.

But there maybe be a bit of snobbishness about its, how could awl fells know anything about good whiskey?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭nhughes100

Always found Paddy to be a bit course and hard on the throat, not mad on it myself. Agreed on the rep, thought from my drinking experiences it's fairly deserved.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Only thing I can think of it's linked with the local drunk, most often?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

never knew it was shunned upon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Brockagh

It's the only Irish whiskey, I think, that uses grain whikey, single malt and pure pot still.

Irish Distillers don't give the brand much thought. I'll have to try it again and see what it's like.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭donaghs

Did a taste test with Jameson recently. Paddy does have a more "spirity", taste, a more alcholic burn on your throat. Jameson has slightly more subtley to its flavour as well. Nothing that wrong with it I suppose, but I can see why its preferred for mixers.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭IrishWhiskeyCha

I actually find it's Jameson that is going down hill ... seems to be getting younger by the year and no wonder by te way they pump it out. I am ashamed to say it is a long time since I've tried a paddy so I'm going out to buy some this week-end and give it a proper taste against some other Irish whiskies that I have at the moment.

Advertisement