Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has Vexorg left us ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

seamus wrote: »
    :(

What can I say? Gerry, every interaction online and offline has been a pleasure. You're probably one of the most genuine people I've met and boards is much poorer today for having lost you.

I hope there's nothing preventing you from continuing to interact in the community - i.e. We want to see you for beers & dinner!
    I couldn't put it better. It is a terrible shame to see you go, you were always there for me when I needed you, if you ever need me give me a shout.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Best of luck with everything, Vex. You're an asset to the site and helped make it what it is today. Fair play on all the hard work.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

So sorry to see you go Gerry. You were a great asset to Boards and were part of what made the website tick. Best of luck and thanks for everything. You will be missed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

This is a sad day for boards.

Pleasure to have known you, Gerry, your advice and help was invaluable to me, and I'm sure to many others, and I truly hope that you will continue to be part of the scenery here.

I know you'll bring the same kindness and endeavour to whatever you'll do with all your spare time from hereonin.

Best of luck to yourself and all the care.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭regi

So sorry to see you go :(

I really hope you enjoy the next couple of months and all you've got planned and that you come back to us afterwards! I think I need to make a mark here to show the respect, thanks and admiration for everything that Vexorg has done for us over the last couple of years. He's enabled us to move from the ramshackle volunteer setup we were for a long time to this beginning of a proper professional organisation who will support the community and site we all have here. Its been said that the hardest part of any professional enterprise is the starting of it - we only have Gerry to thank for that.

If Gerry hadn't come on board and kept a hand on the tiller, I don't know where we'd be now but I do know it would be a poorer place, probably falling down in places :) For that reason, I've been sad ever since he decided to move on to other things. I wish him all the best and I hope to work with him again soon!

So now? As you know, we've been hiring and recruiting like mad for a month or two and the last thing Vexorg did for us before he left was to make sure we had the best possible team in place. We're delighted to say that at the last board meeting, the candidates were proposed and the board unanimously approved them. Welcome Dav and Darragh as the new Community Managers!

These guys are going to work full time hand in glove with the mods, cmods, smods and us to try to let us grow even higher. We can't wait! I'm hoping DeVore can swing by Feedback shortly and give you the full low down. Speaking of DeVore, Tom is going to keep an eye on things for the next while as a caretaker, so you'll see a lot more of him.

I hope this helps give a picture of the incredible stuff Gerry's done for us and how we'll have a big Vexorg shaped hole here from here on. Thanks again man :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

Thanks sir, all the hard work you did was awesome,and anytime dealings were to be had with you,you were really nice. Good luck with everything ^_^

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

Crazy, i think eveyone has covered everything i wanted to say, you have been such a influence to boards, and will be very much missed.

Thank you for everything.

Jules

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Thanks for everything Vex. You were always a pleasure to deal with! Hope your future plans work out fantastically.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Don't do it man. You have so much to live for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Gerry, if what you've done on boards is anything to go by, then whatever you decide to do from now on is destined for success.

You have been my "go to guy" over the past couple of years and it was an absolute pleasure to deal with you.

Good luck and thanks for everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Sorry to see you go Gerry. Thanks for all your efforts. :)

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I can only concur with what Dan and others have said here. Except that I would add that I have a pretty good idea where we would be without Gerry... we'd be sitting in a mess of servers with new registrations disabled.

Gerry brought us from a rag tag group of amateurs to a much more organised group including investment (and finding the right partners) through to employing good people like Ross, Dav and Darragh. No one can say that on his watch he was found wanting and we all owe Gerry a debt for everything that happens in the future.

So what now? We'll take a breath, settle in the new CommMans and continue to do what we have always done and that is to offer a neutral space for people to gather and organise and chat and discuss and exchange ideas. Nothing of that will change, only our capacity to do more of what has worked already.

Tom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Best of luck Vexorg, whatever you may find yourself doing.

On the new topic of the community managers;
    Dav = Kharn, right?
    So who was/is Darragh?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Aw man.

Ta Gerry, I wish you genuine luck in all you do. Boards won't feel the same without you but I guess the best constant to have is change, for boards and for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Gerry gg man. We should revisit dm3 sometime :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

woah, thats the last time I don't visit boards for 2 days.

ta Gerry, gentleman here and IRL. Wonder who'll pay for pints on their own credit card next time :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

It's quite odd how so many established users appear to be jumping ship these days, sign of the times I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Rb wrote: »
    It's quite odd how so many established users appear to be jumping ship these days, sign of the times I suppose.

Jumping ship? I'm sure people have their reasons for moving on I wouldnt call it jumping ship.

So why did you go missing for so long? Personal reasons that you dont feel you have to share with up to 180,000 people you dont know?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

All the very best Gerry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Gerry.

<3

You're an officer and a gentleman. And a man who knows why poodles are clipped the way they are.

You'll be sorely missed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

we'll never forget you Gary!

joking aside, thanks a lot for everything Gerry, you were very cool to me when the LTI forum was set up- it's remembered and appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Vexxie's gone?

Just when I was beginning to get to know him.

I know he said I had no class(or was that DeV) but I hold no grudges.

I wouldn't call him Gerry, so I'll just say best wishes Vexxie, and every success.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Rb wrote: »
    On the new topic of the community managers;
    Dav = Kharn, right?
    So who was/is Darragh?
    Darragh's new.

That means he's never had the displeasure of reading your posts before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

I really don't know what to say. I'm shocked to be honest and more then a little disheartened.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Vex, it only takes dealing with you once to know how much Boards and this community means to you. Right back at you!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Vex was the one who sorted out my nick and took it away from the imposter who had never posted.
    Thanks for that.

You've done a lot more good things for me on the site over the years and I'll always be greatful for your help.

Take care in the real world.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Wow, there's a shocker. Massively disappointed to see you go, Gerry, you've done so much for boards. Best of luck in your future, and please keep in touch.

Boards is certainly continuing to evolve, and long may it do so. When it stops changing, then's the time to worry.

Al.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Nooo Gerry don't leave, you've always been helpful as hell, I'll be very sorry to see you go.

Good luck to whatever you plan for the future,

Cabaal,

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Gerry,

You've been an absolute pleasure to work with, best boss I could have hoped for, and I've always felt we had an excellent relationship, good understand and worked together through the most interesting times of behind-the-scenes boards.ie. Taking this company from a hobby with a PayPal account to a fully fledged business with investment, office space, and several employees, the pure grind of coming in and doing the stuff nobody wanted to do (oh god the accounts and the tax), absolutely herculean effort.

You've helped me progress massively and helped me understand business and the processes, requirements and ongoing costs of starting a business, and just how dedicated one has to be for it, as well as the value of being patient and professional in everything one does.

I hope our paths will cross again, in fact, I'm sure they will :)

Advertisement