Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has Vexorg left us ?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I is a sad Dav. Sad cause I don't get to work with Gerry in my new role. Sad that he's gone off to brighter and shinier things. Sad that something else is going to get the benefit of his experience, wisdom, intellect and manner.

It is a distinct pleasure knowing Gerry these last 10+ years The only man I've ever seen play Quake with a Joystick (and that's saying something) and a man without whom few of us would still be here I feel (if there was even a "here" left at all).

I sincerely hope you won't disappear altogether - you should try slumming it with the regular users for a while ;)

gg Vex!

• Registered Users Posts: 46,106 ✭✭✭✭muffler

What can I say? I think all the accolades have been used up but I suppose I'll just have to repeat what others have said.

I will most certainly miss you Gerry. You have always been there to help out and offer advice and you will recall on one occasion we had to deal with a certain matter that did impact on both of us. Hopefully the likes of that will never happen again but you were the hand that steadied the ship.

I sincerely wish you the best of luck and hope the future brings all the joy and success that you deserve.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

muffler wrote: »
    What can I say? I think all the accolades have been used up but I suppose I'll just have to repeat what others have said.

I will most certainly miss you Gerry. You have always been there to help out and offer advice and you will recall on one occasion we had to deal with a certain matter that did impact on both of us. Hopefully the likes of that will never happen again but you were the hand that steadied the ship.

I sincerely wish you the best of luck and hope the future brings all the joy and success that you deserve.

YOU SLEPT WITH HIM TOO?! WTF GERRY!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Funny I always thought he was a complete wanker. :confused:

Aaah no, good bloke:D Comes across IRL as a quietly decent chap. A rare breed. Good luck with whatever the future brings you.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

muffler wrote: »
    Hopefully the likes of that will never happen again but you were the hand that steadied the ship.

Ain't that the truth!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭Cloud

Gerry, AKA Vex, Vexorg, and Destroyer of Cats

May your wifi link from wherever you end up never fail, may you receive eternal free rocket launcher upgrades for any nailgun you may happen across, and may you receive indefinite numbers of indulgences in the afterlife for all the whiney e-mails, PMs, phone calls and letters you've had to deal with these past two years!

Thank you for all you've done for us since you started as MD. We'll miss having you around - a calm influence and a cool head, which I know we will be sore pressed to emulate, and will never match.

John.
    --

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Cloud wrote: »
    Gerry, AKA Vex, Vexorg, and Destroyer of Cats

May your wifi link from wherever you end up never fail, may you receive eternal free rocket launcher upgrades for any nailgun you may happen across, and may you receive indefinite numbers of indulgences in the afterlife for all the whiney e-mails, PMs, phone calls and letters you've had to deal with these past two years!

Jeez John, keep that up and I'll be crying in a minute! :(

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I already am :(

* dries tears

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

Kharn wrote: »
    I already am :(

* dries tears

*dips cookie in tears*

^_^

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

I'm genuinely upset at this news.

Vexorg, you are one of the most helpful and supportive people I've ever dealt with.

I can only wish you incredible success in your next endeavor.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

Gerry, thank you for everything - your patience, altruism and big-heartedness* knows no bounds. You'll be missed more than you realise, but I hope that your next pursuit is fulfilling and succesful.

Take care.

*contemplates checking dictionary to confirm it's a word... decides it's too much effort. Vex has a mahoossive heart that only makey uppy words can convey properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭Darragh

One of the main reasons I applied for this role, went through the interview process - one of the most comprehensive and intensely interesting ones I have ever experienced - was because of Gerry's passion, knowledge and enthusiasm for the potential of Boards.ie and the community.

That same spirit and passion lives on because of the strong foundation he has put down to allow me to take this role and work with Devore and Dav on making the site a better place for members.

Gerry, best of luck. Pleasure to meet you, albeit (too) briefly and I wish you the very best. I hope you'll appreciate that the work we're doing is because of the work that you've done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Thanks so much Gerry for sorting things out for me so promptly the day my account "vanished" ('twas durin' the Great Database Crash of ought 8).

Very best wishes with whatever you're moving on to... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Sput better not be leaving too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭daiixi

Gordon wrote: »
    Sput better not be leaving too.

Surely his restraining order against you is still current anyway?

See you around Gerry!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

I too am sad to see Vexxie baby leave. He doesn't know me, I'm sure. But I'm pretty sure I met him once at a LAN party in Drumcondra [address withheld to protect the innocent], in the mid 90's. Maybe even Dev and Cloud were there too. One person I know for sure was there, Bubbles. Who could forget him? He was just plain crazy [in a good way, I'm sure] and took over my PC for hours, the mad thing :)

Man, I miss those Quake days...

gg Vex.

PS, I'm hope that oven is still working for you :)

RangeR [GLoW]

• Registered Users Posts: 46,106 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Beruthiel wrote: »
    Ain't that the truth!
    Thanks also to you Beruthiel :) and just to publicly acknowledge the tremendous help and advice that you afforded at the time and Im sure it was one of the tougher ones you had to deal with.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Awww, not the nicest admin!!! :( hehehe

You're pms, few as they were, were always friendly and such. gg wp

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

Cloud wrote: »
    Gerry, AKA Vex, Vexorg, .....
    Thank you for all you've done for us since you started as MD. We'll miss having you around - a calm influence and a cool head, which I know we will be sore pressed to emulate, and will never match.

John.
    --
    I can only quote Cloud as an example of what I could say to you. I have had a few "dealings" with you on personal level, and little less on a professional level.

You are a gent, full stop. I have no idea why you are leaving, but I wish you the absolute best in it. Take care. May the road rise with you....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

I've never had any run ins with Gerry/Vexorg, but it's obvious to me looking at the topic how much he brought to the website and made it what it is today.

And for that, I sincerely thank him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Vex, sorry to see you go. Any dealings I've had with you onsite or IRL (albeit briefly) have been great.

I wish you the very best of luck in whatever you do next! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

I still have the PM you sent me when I became mod, and I've reread it several times since.

Thanks.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Vexorg

Woah.... creepy, it'll be stuck as that forevermore

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

*clutches chest*

speechless :(:(:(

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

:eek:

Vexorg: You know I'm a fan of yours. You were my 'go to' guy when ES was born. You endured us as we changed our minds again and again without even a hint of a grumble. It takes a special person to do what you did for this site, and I can only thank you sincerely for agreeing to help us with ES. Wherever you are and whatever you're doing, I salute your efforts and envy those who now have the privilege of calling themselves your colleague.

I raise my glass and propose a toast to the inimitable, the immortal, the one and only - Vexorg.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Tom > gerry

(only in lawn darts)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

RangeR wrote: »
    I too am sad to see Vexxie baby leave. He doesn't know me, I'm sure. But I'm pretty sure I met him once at a LAN party in Drumcondra [address withheld to protect the innocent], in the mid 90's. Maybe even Dev and Cloud were there too. One person I know for sure was there, Bubbles. Who could forget him? He was just plain crazy [in a good way, I'm sure] and took over my PC for hours, the mad thing :)

Man, I miss those Quake days...

gg Vex.

PS, I'm hope that oven is still working for you :)

RangeR [GLoW]

over the take away?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭440Hz

seamus wrote: »
    :(

What can I say? Gerry, every interaction online and offline has been a pleasure. You're probably one of the most genuine people I've met and boards is much poorer today for having lost you.

I have only just spotted this thread. And I 100% agree with Seamus' sentiments.

There have been a few times down through the years where I have been tempted to pack boards in, and one of the main reasons that I stayed was down to your continued help and support Gerry. I really mean that, it has been an absolute pleasure to deal with you, a real gentleman. The place really won't be the same without you.

All the best for the future. Stay in touch via the other online mediums!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Tigger wrote: »
    over the take away?

Nah. It was on Botanic Avenue.

Advertisement