Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Broadband Question...

Options
  • 23-02-2009 1:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭

hey i have eircom broadband for 2 years and i have a question maby its silly and obvious but.... on my bill it says my broadband package has speeds up to 3mb but i only get 54kb/s ... i think my router has speeds only up to 54kb/s so if i got a faster speed router will i have faster internet speeds?it would be great if i did cos i play alot of online gaming on ps3...thanks for any replys:cool:

...i was on argos.ie and if anyone could tell me the difference between a "modem router" and a "cable router" im connected to my broadband through our telephone line so what kind of rotuer will i need?thanks again

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Sounds like your on 512K not on 3MB, can you post your line stats?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭homer911

Do you not have an Eircom router? You will need a modem router anyway. A cable router (AFAIK) would be used in conjunction with the likes of NTL/UPC

54Kb p/s - are you sure about this? Thats incredibly slow. Do you mean KB p/s? Even that is slow? A 3Mb connection should be giving you about 300KB p/s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭marko91

sorry i meant 54.0Mb/s ... and yes i have the netopia router that eircom sent to me...will i get a router in argos with 125 Mb/s speeds?or will it make no difference?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,291 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

marko91 wrote: »
    sorry i meant 54.0Mb/s ... and yes i have the netopia router that eircom sent to me...will i get a router in argos with 125 Mb/s speeds?or will it make no difference?

That's your local wireless speed, not your broadband speed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭marko91

oh sorry im not really good at this stuff....if i buy a faster router will i get faster speeds?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,291 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

marko91 wrote: »
    oh sorry im not really good at this stuff....if i buy a faster router will i get faster speeds?

Not impossible but unlikely. Faster speeds depend on the lines quality and the package from your ISP.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

You are totally confused to put it kindly.

A modem is necessary to allow you to get your bb signal.

A router allows you to connect more than one pc to the same internet connection. A wireless router allows you to connect by wireless (obviously)

You have what is know as dsl broadband that is broadband over telephone line

And the netopia model you have combines the dsl modem and a wireless router in the one unit.

A cable router is for use with modems that do not have a router build in already.

Generally they are used with bb from the likes of Chorus/NTL or Digiweb where a modem only is supplied.

The speed you are quoting is the speed between your wireless signal and the computer/laptop it has nothing at all to do with the internet speed you are getting from Eircom.

If you want to increase your speed than you need to go on to a faster speed with Eircom (your line may or may not be capable of a faster speed so be careful) Buying a new router is not going to increase your speed except perhaps marginally if you have an iffy line and it can deal with it better than your current one.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,004 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

That 54.0Mbps is the connection speed between your computer and your broadband modem.

If you are on a 3.0Mbps connection, then you do not need any new equipment. You could upgrade to their fastest package using all the current equipment you have.

Advertisement