Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone for the Introduction of Fee's?

Options
  • 23-02-2009 2:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭

Not FULL Fee's for everyone but like I think that the rich should pay for education (People with an income of over 150,000 or 100,000 or some set number around that). I dont think the average tax payer (Who Earns about $43,000 I think) Should pay for the Rich. Anyone feel the same?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

The argument against that is that the rich already pay a higher rate of tax because they can to fund things like education (well, that's the idea, but not exactly how it works...). So to make 'the rich' pay would be like charging them twice, i.e. not very fair.

Me, I'm pretty on the fence about fees. I can see the need for them, but I can also see that education is woefully underfunded in this country, and I don't trust this government to organise a well structured, fair, system of fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭TDOie

Tom65 wrote: »
    The argument against that is that the rich already pay a higher rate of tax because they can to fund things like education (well, that's the idea, but not exactly how it works...). So to make 'the rich' pay would be like charging them twice, i.e. not very fair.

Me, I'm pretty on the fence about fees. I can see the need for them, but I can also see that education is woefully underfunded in this country, and I don't trust this government to organise a well structured, fair, system of fees.

It is true they pay more tax and in an ideal situation education should be free for everyone but I think that the introduction of fee's should start with people on high incomes that can afford it although they pay more tax they still earn a large amount more than the average person and If your earning that amount of money 6,000 a year less to someone on 200,000 shouldnt be seen as grossly unfair. Also the way the SU is going about it is wrong.

You cant just say "eh please no fee's guys. k thanks." it makes us seem like idiots imo. The SU should offer some sort of alternative for example , people earning huge incomes paying or something more fair. All the SU is doing is saying "NO CUTBACKS! I DONT CARE WE NEED TO CUT SPENDING!" The SU should offer a proposal to be taken seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

TDOie wrote: »
    It is true they pay more tax and in an ideal situation education should be free for everyone
    I disagree
    but I think that the introduction of fee's should start with people on high incomes that can afford it
    They decided to work harder and/or longer hours and you want to punish them for this?

The idea of marginal utility is why we have 2 tax bands. In essence you want to increase tax on one section of the economy but not on another, doesnt sound fair to me at all.
    although they pay more tax they still earn a large amount more than the average person and If your earning that amount of money 6,000 a year less to someone on 200,000 shouldnt be seen as grossly unfair.
    Who constitutes wealthy is very subjective, but heres some facts from the latest available figures:

A)Over a quarter of all income tax paid in the state is paid by the wealthiest 1.5%
    B)40% of income earners at the lower end of the income scale pay no income tax.

http://www.finfacts.com/irelandbusinessnews/publish/printer_1000article_1011252.shtml

Your entire point is that, yeah the wealthy pay more tax, but they dont pay enough. I disagree, they pay more than enough.
    Also the way the SU is going about it is wrong.

You cant just say "eh please no fee's guys. k thanks." it makes us seem like idiots imo. The SU should offer some sort of alternative for example , people earning huge incomes paying or something more fair. All the SU is doing is saying "NO CUTBACKS! I DONT CARE WE NEED TO CUT SPENDING!" The SU should offer a proposal to be taken seriously.

Their stance might be stupid, but there are a lot of ill founded opinions.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭graduate

Not FULL Fee's for everyone

Persons without a grasp of the use of the apostrophe should be charged extra.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

The argument that "those who can pay, should pay" is totally flawed.

The money that would be created would be a drop in the ocean in comparison to what would be needed. Furthermore, it would only go towards further fleecing of the PAYE worker, who is already paying more than their fair share. While Denis O Brien and Anthony O Reilly may be capable of shelling out all the money in the world for Education, the average PAYE worker couldnt afford to put 3 Kids through University at one time. Two Civil Servants on reputedly decent salaries would be expected to stump up at least 15,000 between the three kids. If that is only for one year, then over £50,000 will be expected of them. It would be unsustainable in many families, so those who have a faux social democratic attitude could sleep easier at night.

I would consider the likes of O Reilly and O Brien as the first ports of call when seeking greater corporate sponsorship. Encourage them to stump up the cost of building new structures, buying lab equpiment, donating large sums to the Library etc. Then the University must continue working with the likes of exon to continue the great flow of corporate sponsorship into the University.

Then, the Government must consider all the alternatives to the current status. In the times we face, it is unclear whether the money will be there to keep our University's running at any level which could be deemed internationally competitive. Furthermore, to ask the taxpayer to stump up another 3-5% in taxation to fund somebody to take a lax attitude to education is unsustainable, and will continue to depress the economy. It is time that Interest Free Repayable loans, top up fees, or a graduate tax is considered. The Irish State is no longer in a position to fund thousands of students each year, some of whom never get beyond first year, and walk away. Notwithstanding the intrinsic and extrinsic (see The Agreement of Lisbon, and the importance of the Knowledge Based Economy" of third level education, it can no longer go on in the current situation.

However, the immediate return of 3rd level fees, where people must had over a cheque of roughly 5,000 per year, cannot occur. It will guarantee to have very bad results.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

I think a graduate tax system is fairer and takes a significant proportion of the cost away from the parents/family and places it on the student. It's his/her future and thus he/she is incentivised to work harder in college.

Unfortunately, our wooly headed government should have acted on this from the start, as the introduction of such a system now would only start generating revenue in 3-5 years. Not ideal in our current climate, but the sooner they get on it the sooner the coffers will start filling.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,009 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I'm also thinking about the possible role of industry in all this, but not in terms of sponsorship of whole universities or departments. In other countries, some large businesses offer bursary/scholarship schemes, funding a student's tuition, and (as part of the deal) the graduate works for them for a few years afterwards.

I imagine that it could also be offset against tax, as an incentive, and it would give industry more input in to what is offered at university. I'm not "for" fees, personally, but I do think the Irish system - blanket coverage of fees, regardless of what's being studied - has led to a workforce lacking graduates with the technical skills that industry needs.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 HeLlDoItHeCrAzY

Just A Hypothetical Case:

Dairy farm, medium sized.

2 men working on it, one living on farm with wife and 3 sons. Wife stay at home wife. So only one incoming wage. Lets say roughly 30-35,000 then for this family a year take home... fair enough house is old and theres no mortgage, but the 3 boys now in college.. fees introduced.. 8,000 euros roughly for a year in college (not including 4,000 accommodation each, and living expenses and books etc, plus the inevitable going out pushing it up to 6-8000 each(optomistically)) if all 3 in at same time, thats over 20 grand on fees alone.. plus another 20 grand on accomodation, living, travelling, books etc!!.... thats 40,000+ euros, a year!!.. 10,000 more than they make a year.. multiply by average course length of 4 years, and you begin to see my point..

by the way, this is not hypothetical, this is a real situatuion.. and its reality for alot of people.. bring in fees, and people simply wont have a choice, they wont be able to go to college full stop.. we pay our taxes for free education... take away this and many will be left wondering, why am i paying taxes at all??? i see no motorways outside ,my window.. my school building is over a hundred years old, road outside my house hasnt been resurfaced in a decade, health system sucks, guards dont stop boy racers bombing down my road.. <<not my situation, but again, you see my point

graduate wrote: »
    Persons without a grasp of the use of the apostrophe should be charged extra.
    people who are anal enough to be condenscending on people for things like that should get life '''''''''''!!

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭papajimsmooth

If fees were brought in for just the wealthy, it would only lead to the eventual payment of fees for every student. Also most wealthy people have ways of hiding there income through business etc, so they people who could afford to pay never really will.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Tayto2000

Just A Hypothetical Case:

Dairy farm, medium sized.

Two words - Means testing.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Labreya

I'd care more if people stopped talking such utter garbage about it towards me, and coming up with such backwards ideas of going up against fees. If they come in, I can't pay them, and thats that.

I don't think it's fair, as it cuts people out, but thats life. Sometimes people will do unfair things and throw a wall of crap in your way. You just gotta wade through as best you can.

I'd care more if people didn't try and shove facts about it down my throat when I'm trying to make the most of my cheap-as-hell roll for lunch.

I mean, I was asked to sign a petition to close the college for 24 hours.

Why would I give up a day when it looks like I might be told to stuff it next year because of fees? Get real. To me, that just sounds like people trying to make up an excuse for themselves to get a day off without feeling guilty.

A lot of it just comes down to the dangerous political wave riding of the left at the moment.

Government:
    "I'm sorry, we don't have enough money to pay you guys as much any more. There will have to be cutbacks."

Opportunist left-wing:
    "They're lying! They have loads of money! Let's all just go on strike, no way are WE taking a cutback!"

Worker:
    "Sounds good. What does recession mean anyway?"

Opportunist left-wing:
    "It's when the government steals all your money. Don't ask questions... get marching!"

That kind of behaviour in non-recession times is irresponsible. In a recession, its plain dangerous.

Labreya wrote: »
    I'd care more if people stopped talking such utter garbage about it towards me, and coming up with such backwards ideas of going up against fees. If they come in, I can't pay them, and thats that.

I don't think it's fair, as it cuts people out, but thats life. Sometimes people will do unfair things and throw a wall of crap in your way. You just gotta wade through as best you can.

I'd care more if people didn't try and shove facts about it down my throat when I'm trying to make the most of my cheap-as-hell roll for lunch.

I mean, I was asked to sign a petition to close the college for 24 hours.

Why would I give up a day when it looks like I might be told to stuff it next year because of fees? Get real. To me, that just sounds like people trying to make up an excuse for themselves to get a day off without feeling guilty.
    mloc wrote: »
    A lot of it just comes down to the dangerous political wave riding of the left at the moment.

Government:
    "I'm sorry, we don't have enough money to pay you guys as much any more. There will have to be cutbacks."

Opportunist left-wing:
    "They're lying! They have loads of money! Let's all just go on strike, no way are WE taking a cutback!"

Worker:
    "Sounds good. What does recession mean anyway?"

Opportunist left-wing:
    "It's when the government steals all your money. Don't ask questions... get marching!"

That kind of behaviour in non-recession times is irresponsible. In a recession, its plain dangerous.

yeah ah mloc?? this is what labreya was gettin at.. stop throwing crap our way!!.... we DONT care.. simple fact>> I CANNOT afford college if they bring fees back!.. And Im NOT POOR!.. That shud be the end of the argument.. if anyone else still feels like they want to argue for throwing away my and thousands more future, please be my guest.. i hope you wrot in Hell

yeah ah mloc?? this is what labreya was gettin at.. stop throwing crap our way!!.... we DONT care.. simple fact>> I CANNOT afford college if they bring fees back!.. And Im NOT POOR!.. That shud be the end of the argument.. if anyone else still feels like they want to argue for throwing away my and thousands more future, please be my guest.. i hope you wrot in Hell

Well put sir, but I imagine it won't be an issue for you as by the sounds of things you might still have secondary school to go through first.

mloc wrote: »
    Well put sir, but I imagine it won't be an issue for you as by the sounds of things you might still have secondary school to go through first.

again your missing the point.. If I did have to go through 'secondaey school' and then went to college, I wouldnt be able to pay?.. and to set the record straight, I am FINISHED secondary school.. I deffered a year to earn some money, and with the points I got in the LC, I'll have no problem getting into virtually any course next year, and then I 'WILL BE' a college student! so dont jump so quicly with your conclusions..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Phosphorus

And what about a system based on merit?

Everybody pays fees. If you reach a certain level of performance at the end of the year, you get your money (or at least a portion of it) back. Whether you are poor or not doesn't matter, what matters is if you actually put the time at the uni you have to good use.

Just my 2c.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

Tayto2000 wrote: »
    Two words - Means testing.
    If fees are reintroduced, are they gona be means tested?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Donald-Duck

The worst are the retards applying for SU positions

What I would say about protests is: they are already "factored in" to the equation. The powers-that-be are expecting them already, and already know what their responses will be (if they need to respond at all). They won't affect the decisions that have been made and will be made.

So what could change the decision to introduce fees? The same thing that caused it to come up in the first place: numbers. It's all about the figures in the government budgets, revenue incoming (tax etc.) and outgoings.

I think some folks are taking it personally, as if someone in government made a decision to attack students and universities, as if they don't like us. But it's not personal: it's just government. They already know we're not going to like fees - duh! - but how do we tell them something they don't already know?

— Kingsley Amis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

bnt wrote: »
    What I would say about protests is: they are already "factored in" to the equation. The powers-that-be are expecting them already, and already know what their responses will be (if they need to respond at all). They won't affect the decisions that have been made and will be made.

So what could change the decision to introduce fees? The same thing that caused it to come up in the first place: numbers. It's all about the figures in the government budgets, revenue incoming (tax etc.) and outgoings.

I think some folks are taking it personally, as if someone in government made a decision to attack students and universities, as if they don't like us. But it's not personal: it's just government. They already know we're not going to like fees - duh! - but how do we tell them something they don't already know?
    There are two things governements are concerned with, running the country, and staying in power.

I am of the opinion that the latter is more important. The governement knows there will be protests, and they have estimates of how it will impact their popularity. What might change their mind is if those estimates are proved wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

There are two things governements are concerned with, running the country, and staying in power.

I am of the opinion that the latter is more important. The governement knows there will be protests, and they have estimates of how it will impact their popularity. What might change their mind is if those estimates are proved wrong.

I'd be of the opinion that this govt, at this time, wouldn't really worry too much about losing it, since they'll be out soon anyway, and it's in their interests to be out of power for the worst of it, so they can take the reins if/when someone else steadies things a bit, no?

If anyone's interested in an only-slightly-technical analysis of the current Irish financial situation, I can recommend this article, by a couple of Trinity Professors.

The part that's relevant to this discussion is their description of what the government seems to be doing, and what the authors think they should be doing:
    The government’s stated strategy ... has been to undertake fiscal adjustment in a gradualist fashion, with the goal of returning the general government deficit to below the 3% limit by 2013.
    Translation: the government isn't planning major changes that quickly, currently.
    Accordingly, the most prudent strategy at this point is to front load the fiscal adjustment. Along one dimension, it is now time for the government to increase tax rates and eliminate a host of tax breaks, rather than deferring such moves to next year’s budget. In relation to public spending, more needs to be done in terms of controlling current spending.
    Translation: the authors think the government needs to extract and save as much money as they can a.s.a.p. Third Level Fees would be a good example of "public spending" in the sense they use. So, though they don't mention fees explicitly... :(

— Kingsley Amis

The worst are the retards applying for SU positions

OH GODS!!

I HATE the SU. They do bugger all for students in reality! They feed people nothing but empty promises and lies to get the position, and when they get it they prat about and don't even do anything remotely like they promise.

I'm convinced they all just want it so they have something decent on their c.v.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

OH GODS!!

I HATE the SU. They do bugger all for students in reality! They feed people nothing but empty promises and lies to get the position, and when they get it they prat about and don't even do anything remotely like they promise.

If you could do a better job, then why dont you run for it:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭33% God

OH GODS!!

:rolleyes:
    I like the SU if for no other reason than without them my home would be enclosed by gates and guards.

But judging by your posts you seem to hate everything anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

33% God wrote: »
    I like the SU if for no other reason than without them my home would be enclosed by gates and guards.

He hates it so much that he dropped out, thus voiding his right to an opinion:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Antagonist

again your missing the point.. If I did have to go through 'secondaey school' and then went to college, I wouldnt be able to pay?.. and to set the record straight, I am FINISHED secondary school.. I deffered a year to earn some money, and with the points I got in the LC, I'll have no problem getting into virtually any course next year, and then I 'WILL BE' a college student! so dont jump so quicly with your conclusions..

I think you missed his point, it is that you are clearly illiterate and unconcerned about it. Unfortunately this means you will probably fit right in.
    A good alternative to introducing fees, which this brings to mind, is that you could continue without them but raise the standard across the board, i mean sure it would probably keep the same number from going to college but atleast it wouldn't discriminate based on income. Can't use an apostrophe? Then you don't get to go to college.

The big problem with this proposed not attending college for a day(which there is now apparently going to be a referendum on) is as was pointed out that it sends the message that college students just want to skive off(which might be true for most anyway) but on the other side if the idea is rejected then that sends the message that they don't care very much anyway. Whoever's idea it was, they've really bent us over the fence.

Fad wrote: »
    If you could do a better job, then why dont you run for it:pac:

I wouldn't run, because I'd probably end up making a load of empty promises I can't keep aswell.

But at least I have the decency to know I'd be crap at the job BEFORE I try and do it!

No.

I freaking love the staff in the SU shop in science. If you ask them to get stuff in, the do!
    He hates it so much that he dropped out, thus voiding his right to an opinionsmile.gif

No, I have a right to an opinion. My dropping out just makes it invalid.:D

• Advertisement

Antagonist wrote: »
    The big problem with this proposed not attending college for a day.

This proposed "protest" must be some of the most infantile, opportunistic, misguided and pathetic attention seeking behaviour ever seen in UCD.

All it does is give those who have been providing this constant "anti-fees" white noise prattle a day off to tarnish the image of students by more embarassing slogan chanting and still no suggestion of realistic alternatives.

Advertisement