Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BDO News, Results and Discussion Thread

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,290 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

ratinakeg wrote: »
    Looks like this thread has gone off topic, ah well...:D!

My fault so it's ok :D

And sure we are discussing Trina Gulliver, that's technically BDO discussion ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Double Top

sorry for goin off topic. do you think if they got rid of olly croft and hired someone new they would get the same coverage that the PDC get

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭ratinakeg

Double Top wrote: »
    sorry for goin off topic. do you think if they got rid of olly croft and hired someone new they would get the same coverage that the PDC get

If they brought someone in, it would be a great idea because the BDO are living in the past. While getting rid of Ollie Croft get rid of that announcer lad along with Tony Greene and them 80 year old bouncers! It needs to be modernised quick!

Back to the Trina Gulliver thing;

ladiespairs.jpg

No way!:(

Some good news lads;

7TH MARCH

TonyDavid-2.jpg

TONY DAVID OUT OF HOSPITAL
    Former Lakeside World Champion Tony David's road to recovery continues. Tony has now left the hospital and arrived home where his is said to be feeling "great but tired".

We wish Tony a speedy recovery and look forward to seeing him back on the oche in the near future

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,290 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Great news alright. I was a huge fan of Tony when he won the World Championships.

• Advertisement

Ollie Croft Interview

Taken from another forum!:o

My We love darts magazine issue two arrived on the doorstep yesterday and was interested in the interview with Olly Croft following last months with BH.

I thought I would put in some interesting quotes.

On the split in 1993 and his opinion as to why the 16 players at the time made the choice they did

"Some of the players who broke away had enjoyed great success but were beginning to struggle as new faces continually emerged through the BDO qualification system. They were beginning to struggle to qualify and we couldnt start handing out wildcards to keep big names happy"

On whether the BDO could have used the Power of Sky sports before the split to stop the split happening and increase TV coverage

"We spoke to Sky from their inception. We met with the head of sky sports and they wanted the BDO, but only on the proviso that we took the world professional championships from the BBC to Sky as part of the deal. The BBC had been loyal so we declined. Skys focus is on darts as entertainment. We are duty bound to run tournaments for everyone and we cannot sacrifice our obligations to satisfy the demands of the elite"

On the audience and entertainment

"We have viewing figures the PDC can only dream of. We have the walk ons and the music, but we refuse to take it to the point where the audience are whipped up into a frenzy. Players at the BDO receive the best of order and everybody is there to watch the darts"

On the GSOD and tournaments featuring both codes

"We took the idea (of a mixed PDC/BDO comp) to the BBC and they were very keen. The BBC approached Barry Hearn to produce a tournament on a 50-50 basis. I believe Mr Hearn told the BBC he would only come on board if he had 100% control. It was a BDO initiative and would involve the top 16 from the relevant tables, it could have been good for all players but we couldnt just hand over our idea with no input or say in how it was going to be taken forward. The advent of the GSOD had just five BDO players and 27 PDC players. It does not make for a fair or proper competition between the two bodies. The promotor of the WDT and IDL asked us if we would agree to a certain number of PDC players, we agreed and this was initially 4 but this was not enough for Barry hearn and tried to impose and force his will and these valuable tournaments have been lost"

On the difference between averages in the two WC's

"Taylor is a great darts player but you cannot comparre two averages when they have been playing in two different tournaments, under different conditions and using two different dartboards"

Is this a man a bit crazy?

Opinions please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Daffy501

There is only one part of that i agree with

"We have the walk ons and the music, but we refuse to take it to the point where the audience are whipped up into a frenzy. Players at the BDO receive the best of order and everybody is there to watch the darts"

I do think there is too much focus on the showbiz side of the pdc , particularly the Premier League. The crowd getting"Whipped up into a frenzy" and booing players while they throw is totally wrong in my opinion

As for the excuse of the players leaving to form the PDC due to emerging talent in the BDO !!!! Please give me a break :eek: . Fair enough a few(very few) have come across to join the PDC. If the talent emerging is as good as he says then why is the gap between the two levels of standard so great???

Daffy501 wrote: »
    There is only one part of that i agree with

"We have the walk ons and the music, but we refuse to take it to the point where the audience are whipped up into a frenzy. Players at the BDO receive the best of order and everybody is there to watch the darts"

I do think there is too much focus on the showbiz side of the pdc , particularly the Premier League. The crowd getting"Whipped up into a frenzy" and booing players while they throw is totally wrong in my opinion

As for the excuse of the players leaving to form the PDC due to emerging talent in the BDO !!!! Please give me a break :eek: . Fair enough a few(very few) have come across to join the PDC. If the talent emerging is as good as he says then why is the gap between the two levels of standard so great???

He should retire and the the BDO should get a new face in!

The man is so old he's like a living fossil now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Daffy501

LMAO :D:D:D:D:D:D

I never thought i would find myself agreeing with Ollie Croft but he is right about Sky Sports making darts into Sport entertainment. I don't like the way the crowd boos certain players, it's not on. Darts is a serious sport for the players and these kind of things shouldn't happen. Then again that's the only problem I have. I love the walk ons and the girls etc and I have no problem with the huge atmopheres created, it certainly doesn't seem to effect the payers averages! Booing is not on though.

I think he is probably right about the joint tournaments, it should have been 50-50.

His reasons for the split are absolute bollox though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,980 ✭✭✭Degag

Kingp35 wrote: »
    I never thought i would find myself agreeing with Ollie Croft but he is right about Sky Sports making darts into Sport entertainment. I don't like the way the crowd boos certain players, it's not on. Darts is a serious sport for the players and these kind of things shouldn't happen. Then again that's the only problem I have. I love the walk ons and the girls etc and I have no problem with the huge atmopheres created, it certainly doesn't seem to effect the payers averages! Booing is not on though.

I think he is probably right about the joint tournaments, it should have been 50-50.

His reasons for the split are absolute bollox though.

In fairness its both sky and the pdc's fault that the fans are unruly at events the way they hype the players and their matches. Also, if there is an arguement between players, fans are constantly reminded about it, even years later. Therefore all they are doing is giving the fans reasons to boo.

If the PDC didn't encourage this sort of behaviour then they could give out about the fans behaviour without looking like they are contradicting themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 945 ✭✭✭padr81

some of it is interesting but the guys full of ****, the players coming through at that stage are the so called huge guns now in the BDO. All good throwers interstingly the averages aren't as different as people think.

Since the split more BDO players have averaged a ton than PDC

Only 6 players have ever averaged over 100 during a match in the pdc world championships, Taylor, Barney, Burnett, Priestley, Hamilton and our very own much loved Mick McGowan.

Bareny, Priestley, King, Hankey, Pusa, Adams, Fitton, Walton, Deller, Taylor and Chris Mason. Interestingly enough only 3 are still BDO players. Obviously, Priestley, Deller and Taylors came before the split but that leaves the BDO with 8 players to the PDC's six.

This years averages per round were as follows PDC first than BDO

Last 16 93.68 v 90.92
    Last 8 93.53 v 89.94
    Last 4 94.84 v 94.03
    Final 106.56 v 91

From that, truth be told taking out Taylor, Barney and Wade on song both organisations are fairly even. If for example I used 2008 as an example BDO was much higher standard than PDC

The Winmau World Masters will be played at The Spa in Bridlington for the next five years after a new deal was agreed.
    The lucrative event, which is televised by the BBC, has also been moved from December to September from this year.

Alan Menzies, director of planning and economic regeneration for East Riding, confirmed Winmau's sponsorship boost.

He said: "We're excited to announce a new five-year deal with Winmau which will keep the World Masters at its true spiritual home of The Spa."

The BDO Winmau World Masters features players from 70 nations, including champions from over 140 national and international events worldwide.

Approximately 400 players will converge on Bridlington for this year's tournament from 4-6 September.

The 2008 event was won by former Lakeside world champion and current England captain Martin Adams.

Adams hit 11 100+ checkouts, including the highest of the tournament which won him an additional £1,000 to add to his £25,000 winner's cheque.

Viewing figures on BBC Two during the final peaked at 1.8 million.

Todays Antwerp Open

Last 16 best of 7 legs
    Jan Willemsen 4 V 2 Corne van Maastrigt
    Tony West 4 V 1 Michael van Gerwen
    Vincent van der Voort 4 V 1 Christian van Overdijk
    Ted Hankey 4 V 0 Jan van der Rassel
    Kees Slokkers 4 V 2 Marcel den Braber
    Bobby Biemans 4 V 3 John Walton
    Gary Robson 4 V 3 Jeroen Krens
    Mikel van Maastrigt 4 V 3 Gary Anderson

Quarter Final best of 7 legs
    Tony West 4 V 0 Jan Willemsen
    Ted Hankey 4 V 2 Vincent van der Voort
    Bobby Biemans 4 V 3 Kees Slokkers
    Gary Robson 4 V 0 Mikel van Maastrigt

Semi Final best of 9 legs
    Ted Hankey 5 V 2 Tony West
    Gary Robson 5 V 0 Bobby Biemans

Final best of 5 sets 5 legs
    Gary Robson 3 V 0 Ted Hankey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭dionsiseire

MVG and MVDV and Gary Anderson??????

MVG and MVDV and Gary Anderson??????

Ah sh!te must of been an independent event!:o:D

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Antoine56

Todays Antwerp Open

Last 16 best of 7 legs
    Jan Willemsen 4 V 2 Corne van Maastrigt
    Tony West 4 V 1 Michael van Gerwen
    Vincent van der Voort 4 V 1 Christian van Overdijk
    Ted Hankey 4 V 0 Jan van der Rassel
    Kees Slokkers 4 V 2 Marcel den Braber
    Bobby Biemans 4 V 3 John Walton
    Gary Robson 4 V 3 Jeroen Krens
    Mikel van Maastrigt 4 V 3 Gary Anderson

Quarter Final best of 7 legs
    Tony West 4 V 0 Jan Willemsen
    Ted Hankey 4 V 2 Vincent van der Voort
    Bobby Biemans 4 V 3 Kees Slokkers
    Gary Robson 4 V 0 Mikel van Maastrigt

Semi Final best of 9 legs
    Ted Hankey 5 V 2 Tony West
    Gary Robson 5 V 0 Bobby Biemans

Final best of 5 sets 5 legs
    Gary Robson 3 V 0 Ted Hankey

Where did you get these results from?

Ian White produced some excellent form yesterday when he beat world champion Ted Hankey in the final of the mens singles, with a 3 sets to nil win.

Englishman Ian had already beaten dutchman Joey ten Berge in the last 16, 4 - 2. Englands Darryl Fitton was the next to suffer with a 5 - 2 defeat, before Ian made his place in the final a certainty with a 2 sets to 1 win over Englands Scott Waites.

Ted, on route to the final, took out Scotlands John Henderson, Englands Tony O`Shea, and Englands Stephen O`Donnell.

The ladies title was won by the dutch number 1 Carla Molema who beat Russian Irina Armstrong in a very closely fought contest 2 sets to 1.

In the last 8 Carla beat last weeks Open Wales winner 4 - 0, and followed that with a 5 - 2 win over fellow dutch girl Daisy van Driel.

Irina ensured her place in the final with convincing wins over Englands Dee Bateman 4 - 1, and homeland hope Sofie Lenoir 5 - 2.

Mens last 8 Country Ladies last 8 Country

Ian White Eng 1 Carla Molema Neth
    Ted Hankey Eng 2 Irina Armstrong Rus
    Scott Waites Eng 3 Daisy van Driel Neth
    Stephen O`Donnell Eng 3 Sofie Lenoir Bel
    Tony O`Shea Eng 5 Julie Gore Wal
    Martin Atkins Eng 5 Dee Bateman Eng
    Tony Martinez Spa 5 Deta Hedman Eng
    Darryl Fitton Eng 5 Tricia Wright Eng

John Walton also hit a 9 darter

My results are from the 2009 West Brabant Open which where held on Saturday, sorry the Antwerp Open was held yesterday, me bad!

Youths Girls : Zoe Jones (21.07) 3 v 1 Lauren Hitchens (21.38)

Youths Boys : Nathan Pearce (22.87) 3 V 2 Matthew Hall (21.06)

Mixed Pairs : Gary Bucher & Dawn Standley (26.84) 3 v 0 Louise Hepburn & Dave Prins (19.04)

Ladies Pairs : Lisa Ashton & Karen Lawman (22.10) 3 v 0 Irina Armstrong & Julie Gore (20.63)

Mens Pairs : Ian Long & Jim Penman (20.78) 1 v 3 Brian Dawson & Dean Winstanley (26.30)

Ladies Singles : Trina Gulliver (23.82) 1 v 3 Irina Armstrong (23.76)

Mens Singles : Ted Hankey (32.12) 5 v 0 Tony O'Shea (29.22)

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭I.C.U

Antoine56 wrote: »
    Youths Girls : Zoe Jones (21.07) 3 v 1 Lauren Hitchens (21.38)

Youths Boys : Nathan Pearce (22.87) 3 V 2 Matthew Hall (21.06)

Mixed Pairs : Gary Bucher & Dawn Standley (26.84) 3 v 0 Louise Hepburn & Dave Prins (19.04)

Ladies Pairs : Lisa Ashton & Karen Lawman (22.10) 3 v 0 Irina Armstrong & Julie Gore (20.63)

Mens Pairs : Ian Long & Jim Penman (20.78) 1 v 3 Brian Dawson & Dean Winstanley (26.30)

Ladies Singles : Trina Gulliver (23.82) 1 v 3 Irina Armstrong (23.76)

Mens Singles : Ted Hankey (32.12) 5 v 0 Tony O'Shea (29.22)
    DO YOU WORK FOR THE MIGHTY B.D.O

• Advertisement

I.C.U wrote: »
    DO YOU WORK FOR THE MIGHTY B.D.O

Why would you ask that ? :confused::confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 804 ✭✭✭paulcorr

Antoine56 wrote: »
    Why would you ask that ? :confused::confused:
    because were just members of the MIGHTY BOROUGH LEAGUE AS YOU PUT IT EARLIER

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭S.T.D Ste

Well three of the mighty Brough league will be playing in two BDO events come on ste the hammer andrews gary the magnet gregory and dan the bomber boyce

No Ray Stubbs anymore to host the darts on the BBC as he is joining ESPN UK. Is this the final nail in the coffin for BBC coverage of darts?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2009/jul/17/ray-stubbs-joins-espn

Nah, I have just sent in my job application :cool:

Nah, I have just sent in my job application :cool:

LOL!!!:D:D I got in there before you!:P:D

Who is gonna take over Setanta's crap coverage of darts? ESPN should give Ollie Croft a giant kick up the arse to make him revamp the way BDO darts is shown on TV and then maybe ESPN should show a few BDO events.

Who is gonna take over Setanta's crap coverage of darts? ESPN should give Ollie Croft a giant kick up the arse to make him revamp the way BDO darts is shown on TV and then maybe ESPN should show a few BDO events.

Won't happen. ESPN have made a deal with Sky for Sky to have exclusive rights to offer the channel through their subscription package. Sky won't let ESPN show the BDO because it will be in direct competition to Sky's coverage of the PDC.

Won't happen. ESPN have made a deal with Sky for Sky to have exclusive rights to offer the channel through their subscription package. Sky won't let ESPN show the BDO because it will be in direct competition to Sky's coverage of the PDC.

Very interesting, so Sky have no real competitors anymore! Imagine BBC pulled the plug on their darts coverage, the BDO would be completely f#cked!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭dartbhoy

Well done to Garret Gray who reached the quarter finals of the British Classic today. He lost to World number 2 and World Masters 2008 runner up Scott waites 3-2 in quarters. Garret is climbing the BDO Invitation table rapidly and with his current form he could well reach Lakeside 2010.

Advertisement