Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BDO News, Results and Discussion Thread

12345679»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭dartbhoy

Martin Adams has regained the World number 1 position again in the latest rankings table,link; www.bdodarts.com/tables.aspx?tid=7

The Belgian Open is taking place this weekend with the singles events played yesterday.

In the mens singles in the semi finals Ross Montgomery beat Dean Winstanley 2 sets to 1 and Holland's Ron Meulenkamp beat Gary Robson 2 sets to 0. In the final Scotland's Montgomery defeated Meulenkamp 3 sets to 0 to win the 2500 euros first prize.

In the ladies singles final Deta Hedman beat Julie Gore 2 sets to 0.

With the cut off point for Lakeside 2012 fast approaching on October 8th the current BDO Invitation rankings table has been upgraded after today's World Cup finishing,link; www.bdodarts.com/tables.aspx?tid=7

Players from 1-28 will qualify for Lakeside. Martin Atkins currently holds 28th with 130 points but is closely followed by Joe Murnan and Jamie Lewis behind him on 129 points each. With the England Classic and French Open left for points to be gained I reckon it's between these 3 players for the last spot at Lakeside.

The French Open was held last weekend clashing with the England Classic. While both events carry BDO ranking points the French Open is the less ranked of the 2.

Nonetheless a number of UK players travelled to this event with Alan Norris winning the title for the 2nd year in a row defeating Garry Thompson. Both players are safely qualified for next year's Lakeside.

The cut off point for Lakeside is October 10th however there seems to be some confusion about this with some people claiming the Colorado Open on October 15th is part of the rankings for this year's Lakeside? Here are the latest updated mens rankings,link; www.bdodarts.com/tables.aspx?tid=7

Martin Atkins appears to be safe now in 24th position but last year's number 2 seed at Lakeside Stuart Kellet has dropped to 27th and is under pressure to qualify considering he's not going to the Romanian Open next weekend with Murnan,De Vos and Jamie Lewis ready to take advantadge. Prins has already qualified for Lakeside through the qualifiers last month.

Today's Romanian Open will be streamed live from 2 30pm,link; www.bdodarts.com/1491/08-10-2011/Romanian_Open_LIVE

• Advertisement

The mens singles final of the Romanian Open ended a short time ago with Joe Murnan defeating Peter Martin 6-2. This win earned Murnan 4 points and puts him ahead of Kellett in the race for Lakeside. However with no other results available at present it's possible another player close to him in the rankings could have got more points so I'll wait until the table is updated on the BDO homepage to find out what positions players are in after this Open.

The stream was a disaster to say the least! According to the BDO main site the cut off is October 10th which would mean this is the last tournament before Lakeside places are sorted but according to other darts forums next weekend's Colorado Open is carrying points for January's Lakeside? The new BDO board need to get their act together fast!

Here is the latest updated rankings table after the Romanian Open,link; www.bdodarts.com/tables.aspx?tid=7

All players from Joey Ten Berge up in the table are now safely qualified. Bunting,Kellett,Lewis and Murnan could still overtake Barden who holds the last qualifying position for Lakeside despite been tied with Murnan on virtue of been higher up the rankings in the WDF than Murnan.

The Colorado Open is the last chance saloon for players aiming to qualify for Lakeside with Bunting and Jamie Lewis confirmed as going out there. It's a long way to go to try and qualify for Lakeside to a tournament that I imagine wouldn't have huge prize money!

List of players and seedings now finalised for 2012 Lakeside World Championship,link; www.bdodarts.com/1509/16-10-2011/Martin_Adams_and_Deta_Hedman_are_Top_Seeds_for_Lakeside_2012

Tournaments have started already with ranking points towards Lakeside 2013 and last weekend Robbie Green and Deta Hedman won the mens and ladies singles events in Belgium in the Centerparcs Masters,link; www.bdodarts.com/1550/28-11-2011/Centerparcs_Masters

The BDO Dutch Open was held this weekend with the singles finals been played this evening. In the mens singles final Tony O'Shea defeated Davy Prins 3 sets to 0 in the final. In the ladies singles final Wales Julie Gore defeated England's Lorraine Farlam 5 legs to 2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 456 ✭✭Any Double !

dartbhoy wrote: »
    The BDO Dutch Open was held this weekend with the singles finals been played this evening. In the mens singles final Tony O'Shea defeated Davy Prins 3 sets to 0 in the final. In the ladies singles final Wales Julie Gore defeated England's Lorraine Farlam 5 legs to 2.
    Cheers
    Is there any Irish lad travelling and playing in BDO these days ??

Cheers
    Is there any Irish lad travelling and playing in BDO these days ??
    As far as I know there's a few from Northen Ireland playing on the BDO tour but none from the Republic. Donegal's Martin McCloskey reached the final of the Northern Ireland Open last November but he doesn't do the tour. He could possibly play in the Isle Of Man Open in March.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭Treble20

The Scottish open has been taking place this weekend. Updates have been poor to get but in the mens singles the semi finalists are England's Tony Eccles, England's Robbie Green,Northern Ireland's Barry Copeland and young Dutch player Benito Van De Pas. Donegal's Martin McCloskey was in the last 32 but I don't know how far he went before been knocked out.

Scottish Open Final Results (legs);

Mens singles final; Tony Eccles 5 Robbie Green 3.

Ladies singles final; Deta Hedman 4 Julie Gore 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 jester1974

Treble20 wrote: »
    The Scottish open has been taking place this weekend. Updates have been poor to get but in the mens singles the semi finalists are England's Tony Eccles, England's Robbie Green,Northern Ireland's Barry Copeland and young Dutch player Benito Van De Pas. Donegal's Martin McCloskey was in the last 32 but I don't know how far he went before been knocked out.

Tony Eccles beat the fox in the last 8

jester1974 wrote: »
    Tony Eccles beat the fox in the last 8
    Thanks for that. Good run by the Fox.

The 6 Nations team event was held this weekend in Fleetwood England with Ireland,Northern Ireland,England,Holland,Scotland and Wales taking part in both the mens and ladies team events.

England done the double winning both finals over their neighbours Wales 13-7 in the mens and 5-2 in the ladies. The Irish teams done well enough with both reaching the semis. The ladies lost to Wales 5-1 in their semi final while the men put it up to hot favourites England in their semi final for a lot of the game before bowing out 13-10. More details of the weekend's action can be found on this link; www.bdodarts.com

There has been 2 ranking tournaments held the last 2 weekends.

Last weekend March 9th-11th The Isle Of Man Open was held and big entries were recorded in both the mens and ladies singles events. In the mens final Dutch player Jeffrey De Graaf defeated his fellow countryman Jan Dekker 4-2 to win the £5000 winners cheque. In the ladies singles final Frances Hoenselaar defeated Deta Hedman 3-2 to win the £3000 winners cheue and make it a Dutch double in the Manx Island. Northern Ireland's Daryl Gurney reached the last 32. More details can be found on link; www.bdodarts.com/1690/11-03-2012/ISLE_OF_MAN_OPEN_REPORT_AND_RESULTS

This weekend gone the Mariflex Open was held in Holland. In the mens singles Martin Adams defeated Stephen Bunting in the final while in the ladies final Deta Hedman defeated Russian Irina Armstrong. Reports and details can be found on www.bdodarts.com.

Last weekend a number of BDO ranking events were held.

Out in Poland 2 events were played. Tony O'Shea won the Polish Open while Gary Robson won the Police Masters. Deta Hedman continued her great form by winning both the ladies events. More information can be found on this link; www.bdodarts.com/1716/26-03-2012/POLAND_DOUBLE_FOR_DETA_Results_from_the_Police_Masters_and_Polish_Open_Singles

In Wales 2 events were also played. Alan Norris and Lorraine Farlam were Welsh Masters champions while Stephen Bunting and Anastasia Dobromyslova were crowned Welsh Classic champions. More information on the Welsh masters can be found on this link;www.bdodarts.com/1708/24-03-2012/WELSH_MASTERS_MENS_AND_WOMENS_SINGLES_FINALS_ALAN_NORRIS_AND_LORRAINE_FARLAM_ARE_CHAMPIONS

More information on the Welsh Classic can be found on this link;www.bdodarts.com/1717/26-03-2012/FINALS_OF_WELSH_CLASSIC_MENS_AND_WOMENS_SINGLES

The Dutch Open takes place next weekend February 1st-3rd. This is the biggest Open event in the BDO calendar. There is live coverage of this event on Eurosport in Continental Europe all weekend and the finals will be streamed live online via the BDO website on the last day of the event. The highlights of the Dutch Open will be shown on British Eurosport 2 next Sunday February 3rd at 10 30pm for us Irish viewers.

Good to see a BDO event getting live coverage but a pity that the whole event couldn't be aired on Eurosport in Ireland. Still I suppose it's a step in the right direction as regards live BDO darts.

• Advertisement

Another bit of positive news from the BDO today with the official announcement that next year's Lakeside line up will be extended with the men's field rising to 40 and the ladies rising to 16,link; www.bdodarts.com/2063/28-01-2013/LAKESIDE_2014_BIGGER_AND_BETTER

The biggest Open event in the BDO calendar was held last weekend with the Dutch Open taking place. The men's singles was won by reigning World Champion Scott Waites defeating fellow Englishman James Wilson 3 sets to 2 in the final. Waites in unstoppable form at present and Wilson is an ever improving player who'll make big inroads in the BDO scene in the next year or so I predict.

Many of the big names were knocked out early of this tournament which had a starting line up of over 2000 players in the men's singles alone! The ladies final was won by Trina Gulliver against Lorraine Farlam.

The next BDO event is the Scottish Open taking place on February 16th and 17th. Hopefully a few of the Irish players will be in attendance at this event.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭shockframe

The British Internationals take place this weekend.was watching the Sngland v Scotland youths earlier which was tied at 1-1.not sure how it finished.it involves England, Scotland and Wales teams in Mens,Youths and Ladies.

You can watch it on this live stream. Fitzmaurice is MC!

http://www.dartstream.co.uk/scottish.htm

shockframe wrote: »
    The British Internationals take place this weekend.was watching the Sngland v Scotland youths earlier which was tied at 1-1.not sure how it finished.it involves England, Scotland and Wales teams in Mens,Youths and Ladies.

You can watch it on this live stream. Fitzmaurice is MC!

http://www.dartstream.co.uk/scottish.htm
    Good to see this getting live coverage even if it is online. I remember back in the 1980's this was a regular event on the BBC/ITV channels. Indeed if my memory is correct i'm sure Sky Sports in it's infancy screened the British Internationals 1 year in the early 1990's? I'm nearly sure it was 1992.

Treble20 wrote: »
    Good to see this getting live coverage even if it is online. I remember back in the 1980's this was a regular event on the BBC/ITV channels. Indeed if my memory is correct i'm sure Sky Sports in it's infancy screened the British Internationals 1 year in the early 1990's? I'm nearly sure it was 1992.

I didnt know it was tv in the 80s.then again so many events were dropped outside of the worlds it more than likely was.

I didnt get to follow any of this weekend sadly but it looks as if a major news story is about to break the event back in public (for all the wrong reasons).

apparently Martin Fitzmaurice (of are you readly,lets play darts etc) is under pressure after remarks made during an interval speech about ethnic groups which have been badly received and which is meant to be in the sun paper tomorrow.Could result in huge pressure for fitzmaurice if it does make the newspaper.

FWIW England won every event in mens,youths and ladies with the legendary 'England captain' Martin Adams averaging nearly 103 against wales (the highest of the tournament).

Looked like a good event.There should be more BDO knockout events on TV from January to June.

Apparently the Sun has picked up on the Fitzmaurice story. The major UK darts forums wrote a joint letter to the BDO objecting to his continued presence. Deta Hedman must be sick.

And all about bloody time. Have often read about his """jokes""" on forums before, high time someone shone a light on it.

Apparently the Sun has picked up on the Fitzmaurice story. The major UK darts forums wrote a joint letter to the BDO objecting to his continued presence. Deta Hedman must be sick.

And all about bloody time. Have often read about his """jokes""" on forums before, high time someone shone a light on it.
    I'm a fan of the BDO but Fitzmaurice's behavior at the weekend was disgraceful and embarrassing. What was worse is that I've read on some forums that some BDO players have been trying to defend Fitzmaurice on social media sites!

It has been reported this evening that that he has been sacked as an MC but there's nothing about it on the Official BDO website though they do have a statement saying Fitzmaurice is been investigated and that they deplore racism. If the BDO want to win some respect they need to get rid of Fitzmaurice or else they'll just be seen to be as bad as Fitzmaurice himself.

Personally If Fitzmaurice isn't sacked I'm finished with the BDO. I've tried defending them over the years but they draws a lot of trouble on themselves. Time for youth to get a chance in the BDO,a new MC could help to bring this organisation out of the dark ages.

What makes it interesting is that Fitz suggests in the video that he has many links to other nationalities himself - one of which is his Irish father (fitzmaurice is fairly obvious) so he should surely be aware of some vile anti-irish jokes that went around in 1970s Britain that was used on nearly all irish at that time.

I'm surprised to hear bdo players were defending him on twitter.If anything their profession would benefit from his and olly crofts removal.That said they dont perhaps want to rock the boat.Look at the 'support' Ted's 'stroke' got from fellow PDC players after the grand slam.

Personally if he has been booted out I for one am glad.I first heard his routine between games on the BBC red button back in lakeside 2010 and couldnt believe it was allowed to happen.I knew the second that he was involved in the stream coverage there was a fair chance he would offend someone.The lets play darts shtick has been annoying for a good 5 years now too.

The worst thing about this is that there was actualy a player of Indian descent playing for england in the youths tournament.Decent player he was to from what I watched on Friday.

Your right treble 20 in that this does no favours for the BDO.The trouble is is that other than streams TV coverage of BDO events is still the masters and the world championship.almost the same as a decade ago.i like bdo as much as the pdc but the bdo's profile is almost heartbreaking for the true darts fan.the new bdo board does not inspire confidence.something tells me this incident will be more about damage limitation than trying to use it as a chance to turn the bdo around.

Martin Fitzmaurice has resigned as MC from the BDO following his racist jokes at the British Internationals last weekend,link; www.bdodarts.com/2131/11-04-2013/MARTIN_FITZMAURICE_RESIGNATION

I'm delighted he has resigned however I'm not too sure if he's really sincerely sorry for his racist outburst by the part in the letter where he says he wouldn't have said it if he knew the cameras were still running? Come on Martin FFS these jokes are not acceptable anywhere or at any time.

Glad to see the BDO are still going ahead with the investigation,Fitzmaurice can't be let off the hook that easy just by resigning and thinking the BDO will forget it ever happened! Hopefully the BDO will realise now that they need to bring youth onto the board big time to reinvigorate this withering organisation however I'm not overly confident this will happen!

• Advertisement
Advertisement