Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leash Traning

Options
  • 23-02-2009 2:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭

Hi there. We just got an Alaskan Malamute puppy on Vday. He's 3 months old. Having a bit of a time walking him. We've taken him to the beach and let him off the leash and he was good at following us the second time around. But I want to walk him down the road and stuff without it being a tug of war. Sometimes its great, sometimes its work.

Any one have any suggestions. I think he thinks we're going in the car when I try to bring him out in the morning (which he hates). I know when he gets older we have to walk him alot which is not a problem, but as they can get up to 8 stone I don't want it to be a case of him pulling me.

Your input is much appreciated.

Here's a pic of our Anuk

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

http://www.dogstardaily.com/training/training-dog-walk

Also remember that at 12 weeks he should only be walking for about 10 - 15 mins at a time. You don't want to do any damage to growing bones and joints. Rule of thumb is to increase the time by 5 minutes per month of age until he's a fully grown adult.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭sfmonet

Toulouse wrote: »
    http://www.dogstardaily.com/training/training-dog-walk

Also remember that at 12 weeks he should only be walking for about 10 - 15 mins at a time. You don't want to do any damage to growing bones and joints. Rule of thumb is to increase the time by 5 minutes per month of age until he's a fully grown adult.

Yes, we know that, its getting him to walk at all that is the problem. Just walking down the road and back would be a 5 min walk, but its a bit difficult if he won't move. Hence the seeking of advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Skillie

FOOD!!

does he like treats? we use diced sausage & white pudding that we freeze and just take a little poobag (as its meat we use a new bag every time due to bacteria etc) full on a walk. its a great means for speeding up or slowing down the wee man and getting his attention

Well, he's an Alaskan Malamute and they will eat anything. He's had somewhat of a time adjusting after we got him (we were expecting him to come to us right away etc). Not sure but will give it a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Skillie

sfmonet wrote: »
    Well, he's an Alaskan Malamute and they will eat anything. He's had somewhat of a time adjusting after we got him (we were expecting him to come to us right away etc). Not sure but will give it a try.

is he leash shy? most puppys fight the lead a bit sounds like whoever you got him from didn't do much early groundwork to make your lives easier. try putting the lead on him in the house and treat/praising him and taking it off again to make him like the sight of the lead. take him out in the car everyday if he doesn't like it and make it a pleasant experience for him. Even though those extendible leads are silly pointless things mostly, try one of them so you can walk away from him while extending it them bend down and call him enthusiastically and treat etc when he comes.

making it fun and tastey for him to go along will be much easier and less stressful on all involved than a wrestling match and yield better results. sorry i'm being a bit broad and general

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Lauragoesmad

Hey OP,
    He is a beaut!!
    I have used this technique time and again when training and it works a treat. (Once you are patient:))
    Take the dog to an open space that he doesn't know that well, basicly just not his garden. Go to the very middle of the green or field and pick a direction and start walking. As soon as your pup starts pulling on the lead, change direction. Keep doing this for as long as it takes. (It does get tedious but keep at it!) Some dogs can take up to 4 or 5 half hour sessions to cop on but eventually he will look to you for direction and will no longer pull on the lead as he will be waiting for you to show him where to go. The youngest dog I have seen it work on was 5 months though. Your fella might be a tad young yet.
    Good Luck with the training!

Thanks a mil Lauragoesmad, will try that. You might be right and he might be too young at the moment.

Advertisement