Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metallica Discussion Thread

• 23-02-2009 3:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭

Doing a piece on Metallica for the R&R Hall of Fame Induction - anyone wanna tell me about the band as a fan - where you first heard them, seen them, favourite album, opinion on Load and Mama Said, experiences with band members, travelling long distances to see the band, the production on AJFA

Anything ya want!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

My favourite song is blackened. I like the solo.

That alright?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Load was a good album.

That is all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭A7X

Load was not a good album.

Unfortunatly that was not all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

I've picked 6 Metallica songs I think are, in my opinion, the best way of charting their progress (musically) throughout the last 25 years

They are;

1. Seek and Destroy - Second Metallica song ever (after Hit the Lights), possibly, the only song the band still perform on a regular basis live from their debut album. Featured on the original No Life Till Leather demo in 1981. A true Trash metal classic that sums up the energy of the bands inital years.

2. Fade to Black - A Trash metal ballad, this song paved the way for One, The Day That Never Comes and Nothing Else Matters, it was also written better than most of the material on Kill Em All (for that reason the transition in writing styles and musicianship between KEA and RTL is greater than that between RTL and MOP). Burton's influence on the track and indeed the work of Metallica is evident here.

3. Dyer's Eve - the first song in which Hetfield talks about the abuse suffered at the hands of his parents. Whether this was brought on by the death of Cliff Burton or not is unknown, but it is certainly a crossing point for Hetfield, whose demons would eventually change the band forever. Despite band production the album AJFA is still a deeper album, when you think of the music played and the topics covered, than Master of Puppets.

4. Sad But True - The first song in which Metallica tuned down their guitars as standard, which would eventually see them tune down even further on St Anger, making this the first song to sound more like the "new style" of Metallica

5. Mama Said - Controversal or not, a song that Metallica should perhaps have never made, and which seems worlds apart from their KEA output

6. My Apocolypse - The Grammy award winning song from 2009 proves Metallica may still have some fight left in them, and is arguably, one of the only strong points about Death Magnetic. Has a real feel of Dyers Eve or Lepper Messiah to it.

Do you agree or disagree?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

"thrash"
    4. Sad But True - The first song in which Metallica tuned down their guitars as standard

The Thing That Should Not Be was also downtuned.

• Advertisement

Doctor J wrote: »
    "thrash"

sorry my keyboard is a little ****ed up every since the cat took a nap on it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 brillianthenry

metallica was the first form of metal i was exposed to, didnt think i'd like it at first but ended up loving it at the time. Learning their songs really helped me develop my guitar technique at the time.
    Don't really listen to metallica at all any more, if i do listen to metal its megadeth,pantera or arch enemy.

I do like the load and reload albums i feel people put them down because its not metallica as they know them, that being said some songs could have been left off them albums but same can be said for most albums!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 197 ✭✭Six of One

Metallica were the first metal band I ever listened to and were my entry to rock & metal music. They are my first love! Master of Puppets was the first album I heard, it was loaned to me on a tape and I remember rewinding songs and bits of songs over and over again. Was so impressed by it. I still get that feeling listening to some of the tracks on it, the start of Battery evokes teenage me disovering metal!

I haved enjoyed everything Metallica have done. I can listen to "new" Metallica without any senses of loss regarding their change of style. I like that Metallica have explored what they can do musically and see no problem with them putting something like Mama Said out there. It wouldn't be on any playlist of mine, but sure where's the harm! Load also has good tracks, Until it Sleeps, King Nothing, even Ronnie! They're all songs to put a smile on my face.

The Load & Reload debate has a ring of 'sooo ten years ago' about it doesn't it though! "New" Metallica now means St. Anger and Death Magnetic Metallica. I have to say that I'm still more likely to stick the older Metallica albums on- by which I mean anything before St. Anger and Death Magnetic. I have nothing against either of those albums, they just haven't really made an impression the way the others have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

where you first heard them
    I first heard Metallica back in 1991. A school friend gave me a copy of Ride The Lightning on tape. I could not believe my ears when I heard the fast part after the Fight Fire With Fire intro. I wasn't aware people could play guitar that fast or heavy :). I don't think an album has had such a positive influence on me since!
    seen them
    I first saw Metallica live in 2003 in the RDS in Dublin. That was the same concert that The Darkness and Linkin Park played at.
    favourite album
    My favourite Metallica album is easily Ride The Lightning. It's weakens a little with Trapped Under Ice and Escape but every other song on the album is a classic.
    opinion on Load and Mama Said
    Load is a terrible album. I probably wouldn't hate it as much if it hadn't been released by Metallica in the late 90's when I was still a huge fan of theirs. Mama Said isn't a bad song if it's taken on it's own merits.
    experiences with band members
    None, I've never met any personally. Lars Ulrich often comes across as a dick through the media but maybe that's intentional.
    travelling long distances to see the band
    For that show in the RDS I travelled by bus from Galway to Dublin. Does that count?
    the production on AJFA
    Terrible. The squelchy drums and absence of bass make that quite a difficult album to listen to for me. I wish they'd release a remastered edition of it! There are some fan-made vresions of the songs floating around on the Internet with bass added which make the songs sound a lot better. It's a pity there's not much that can be done with the drums :(.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

6. My Apocolypse - The Grammy award winning song from 2009 proves Metallica may still have some fight left in them, and is arguably, one of the only strong points about Death Magnetic.

Really? i think Death Magnetic is a monster album! one of the best metal albums of the last few years by any band imo. Not a weak track on it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭dcr22B

Really? i think Death Magnetic is a monster album! one of the best metal albums of the last few years by any band imo. Not a weak track on it!

Have to disagree with you on the lack of weak tracks. The Unforgiven III is really flogging a dead horse (an insult to the original) and Suicide & Redemption isn't really anything to be honest.

How did I discover Metallica? My cousin gave me two tapes when I was 10 (Appetite for Destruction and MOP). Was more into GnR at first but eventually saw the light and Metallica led to Megadeth, which led to Slayer etc etc.

First time I saw them was Point 1992, subsequently seen them at every Irish gig since (with the exception of 2006....poxy exams). Have also seen them at Donington in 1995 and Milton Keynes Bowl with Megadeth in 1993 so you could say that I enjoyed travelling far for them.

Favourite album would be RTL but that god-awful song "Escape" ruins it for me, radio friendly turd if you ask me. MOP does it for me as there are no duff songs on it and it was my first experience of Metallica.

Load wasn't as disappointing for me as I thought it would be. While my music tastes were starting to diversify (was heavily into Soundgarden and deftones at that stage as well as Supergrass!), the tow albums I'd looked forward to that year were "Load" and "Roots". Both of them for me were a step backwards from their predecessors but as the years have rolled by, I've got 2-3 songs off Load on my Metallica playlist - "Ain't My Bitch", "King Nothing" and "The Outlaw Torn" being the standouts for me.

Mama Said never did it for me!

Never had experiences with any band members, just missed them at the Berkeley Court back in 1999 and if I'd only known sooner, one of my classmate's cousin was getting married to Rik Savage from Def Leppard in Clontarf and from what I can remember Lars and James were there (opportunity missed!).

I listen a lot to AJFA these days even though the production sucks, there are some brilliants songs on it and I dare say that I prefer it to The Black Album, KEA and St. Anger.

Hope they come back this summer for an indoor gig!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

I first got into metallica in 1989. We were doing a media studies class in 2nd year and we filmed our own take on julius caesar. The intro music we used was "to live is to die" from AJFA. I fell in love with it immediately. It was a lot different to the rock music i'd been listening to at the time,G N' R/BON JOVI etc. I subsequently got copies of all their other stuff and the love affair began.

MOP is the highlight for me. Every track is a gem. RTL isn't far behind either. I still listen to a lot of the old stuff. I never listen to TBA at all,the songs sound slow and turgid compared to when they're performed live. The same goes for load and re-load. You could slash both albums and make one great album. Same problem with these,songs sound slow and dull. I only just copied an old cassette bootleg of the '96 show from the point to my computer and listening to "'ain't my bitch/waste my hate/king nothing" live they sound way better live and then you go back to the album versions and they're so slow.

As for mama said!!:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

St. anger was a wayward step but they said after it was a record they had to do and it's successor would be better for it. I doubted them tbh but they delivered big time imho with DM. i still haven't tired of it and the songs sound even better live.

I've seen them in 92/96/99/03/04/06/08 in dublin,07 in wembley,08 in the 02 london and twice in long island and new jersey at the end of january 09. Off across the water on monday to see them in london and newcastle as well and now an ireland date to come in august. Imo they're playing the best i've ever seen them,it's a shame people won't get to see their indoor show here,it's excellent and the set lists they've been playing lately are unreal(check out nottingham and manchester:eek:).

They're a band many people love and a band many love to hate. Yep,i'm a fanboy if you want to label it as something but i love what they do. Sure they've made some strange decisions and choices but they'll always go and do what they want to do and not what the fans want them to do. It's one of the many reasons i admire them for having the balls to keep at it. They're rich men,they don't need the money but they still look like they geniunely enjoy doing what they do and there's millions around the world who are more than happy to pay to see them do just that.

Long may it continue.:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,350 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

dcr22B wrote: »
    How did I discover Metallica? My cousin gave me two tapes when I was 10 (Appetite for Destruction and MOP). Was more into GnR at first but eventually saw the light and Metallica led to Megadeth, which led to Slayer etc etc.

Jesus, thats a bit fkn freaky .I was 12 when my cuz gave me "appetite" and a few weeks later called over one day and said hey, wait till you hear this... master. needless to say, appetite startin gathering dust soon after.
    MOP was always my favoutite. Battery was just such a savage opening track.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭The BOFH

I've liked Metallica since 1985 or so, & have seen them 3 times, MOP, AJFA & the Black tours. The first album I actually bought was Kill Em All in Trieste in 1988. It is my favourite album & the tracks from that get a more regular rotation on the MP3 player than from any other album. RTL isn't a favourite apart from Fade to Black & For Whom the Bells Toll, MOP is the next favourite, Sanitarium & Leper Messiah are my favourites tracks, my vinyl copy of AJFA was worn out in a year but since then I haven't been that keen on it, the production was so bad, the Black album is ok, Load not so much there are still a couple of alright tracks on there. I haven't listened to Reload, St Anger or Death Magnetic.

I found the Some kind of Monster doco kind of weird & pretty much all respect for the band evaporated apart from Kirk Hammett who wisely kept his mouth shut most of the time & let Lars Imaprick talk. Did anyone else think the influence Lars' father had over the band to be very creepy? Nevermind the fact he looks like some sort of Zombie/Nazi sympathiser the way Lars deferred to him was strange. Respect for Dave Mustaine also evaporated as he came across like a whiny bitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

Oh dear...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

A7X wrote: »

Its probably more to do with my age when I heard it; I was thirteen and it was one of my first exposures to metal. I remember being very impressed and re-listening constantly, whether I'm in any objective position to judge it or not, I still enjoy it immensely.

I gradually worked through all their catalog, but this was the one that changed my tastes in general, as there was quite a lot I didnt like. Sometimes I find the older albums a task to listen to; I consider Load an easy listen by comparison (not to suggest it is any better, which it clearly isnt).

Irishcrx wrote: »
    Oh dear...

Ah, i'm awfully sorry for having an opinion that differs from yours. I'll try to not let it happen again. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

Ah, i'm awfully sorry for having an opinion that differs from yours. I'll try to not let it happen again. ;)

No problem, I'll let it go this once so...Honestly though, They lost it a long time ago and the new album is far too...forced, plenty of better metal offerings from decent bands that would walk on that album it's not even close...But as said thats only my opinion.

Irishcrx wrote: »
    No problem, I'll let it go this once so...Honestly though, They lost it a long time ago and the new album is far too...forced, plenty of better metal offerings from decent bands that would walk on that album it's not even close...But as said thats only my opinion.

Cheers!

As far as i'm concerned, that album is a whole lot better than their last few efforts, i'm not comparing it to other albums by other bands, just to their own recent output. There are better metal albums by other bands for sure though.... :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

i think death magnetic suffers on the production front. The songs are really quite good, but i find the guitars to have an inferior sound to that of their previous albums.

I tend to look at metallica as a few different bands rather than one, such is the variation of their music throughout the years. My favourite albums would be:
    1 Master of puppets
    2 Metallica
    3 Ride the lightning

Alot of people seem to have this chip on their shoulder about what metallica did musically in the 90s. "****in sell outs" etc etc. Thats ridiculous. That people will complain about a band evolving baffles me. Thrash metal, for all its good points, can be incredibly stale and repetitive eg. Slayer

The fact that metallica attempted and in my opinion succeeded in trying something new deserves to be praised, not scorned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Doing a piece on Metallica for the R&R Hall of Fame Induction - anyone wanna tell me about the band as a fan - where you first heard them, seen them, favourite album, opinion on Load and Mama Said, experiences with band members, travelling long distances to see the band, the production on AJFA

Anything ya want!

First Heard them in '85, First seen them at Donington in '85, seen them 25 times since, fav album without a doubt is Puppets, Load/ReLoad have some good tracks on them, if you bundled the good tracks on both albums onto just one then it'd be a very good album. Mama said is cool, anybody see James singing it live on Jools Holland, just him and his guitar, pretty awesome.

Met all the band at various points over the years, Kerrang asked for some Metallica fans to interview them for release of Garage Inc, Lars and Kirk were doing the Euro Promo's, Feckin Kirk got struck down with appendicitis the night before so it was just Lars, that was cool.

Managed to blag my way into the Meet and Greet at Dynamo Festival, pretty dissapointed, the security guy came out, lined us all against a wall like we were about to be shot, and said only 2 auto's per band member and no pictures. Jason came out and was totally cool. James came out 10 mins later, heard Apocalyptica playin Metallica onstage and climbed up to watch them. Security guy then said only 1 auto per person. Lars and Kirk didn't come out :(

Seen them in Ireland, UK, Belgium, Holland, Germany and France. Best gig i've ever seen them do is either Manchester on Black Tour or Donington 2006. Worst was Dynamo in Holland, think that was 98/99, they just seemed to be going through the motions.

Even though Justice is one of my fav albums i think the bass is ****, there's a version out there online somewhere where somebody has added more bass to it, not got it yet, in fact i think i'll find it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭pagancornflake

dcr22B wrote: »
    Have to disagree with you on the lack of weak tracks. The Unforgiven III is really flogging a dead horse (an insult to the original) and Suicide & Redemption isn't really anything to be honest.

REALLY think we are gonna have to agree to disagree here buddy..

scudzilla wrote: »
    Jason came out and was totally cool.

Nice to hear. I have not heard a bad word about Jason Newsted's attitude with fan's of Metallica...ever...he seem's to have been the nice one, which is sad they forced him out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

:D i thought this was good: LARS ULRICH

“I sat there myself and downloaded ‘Death Magnetic’ from the Internet just to try it,” he said. “I was like, ‘Wow, this is how it works.’ I figured if there is anybody that has a right to download ‘Death Magnetic’ for free, it’s me.”
    In April 2000, Lars Ulrich launched his vocal campaign against file-sharing service Napster. After discovering that Metallica’s entire back catalogue could be found on the service he could hardly contain his anger and by July 2000 he was testifying before the Senate Judiciary Committee. Of course, Napster was dead and buried a long time ago but thanks in part to Ulrich, the destruction of the service led to the creation of many others, most of which carry the entire back catalogue of Metallica to this day - along with that of every other band in the world with a respectable following.
    So, when Metallica’s latest album ‘Death Magnetic’ hit the file-sharing networks last year, it seemed like business as usual when the band’s label, Universal, canceled an interview with a Swedish newspaper after their reviewer admitted he got his copy from The Pirate Bay.
    However, the once vehemently anti-p2p Ulrich came out with a softened stance. “If this thing leaks all over the world today or tomorrow, happy days,” he said. “It’s 2008 and it’s part of how it is these days.”
    Now, just a few months later, Ulrich has admitted that following years of aggression against file-sharing, he has actually just tried it out for himself. In an intervew with Eddie Trunk of VH1’s “That Metal Show”, Ulrich admits that last year he ‘pirated’ his own album after it leaked onto the Internet.
    “I sat there myself and downloaded ‘Death Magnetic’ from the Internet just to try it,” he said. “I was like, ‘Wow, this is how it works.’ I figured if there is anybody that has a right to download ‘Death Magnetic’ for free, it’s me.”
    Ulrich went on to say that he and half a dozen friends were enjoying a bottle of wine at his house and used a file-sharing client (the name of which eluded him) to download the album.
    “We found it - this was like two or three days after it leaked. I was like, ‘You know what? I’ve gotta try this.’ So we sat there and thirty minutes later I had ‘Death Magnetic’ in my computer. It was kind of bizarre.”
    Welcome to the 21st century, Lars - although the same ‘bizarre’ stuff went on in the last century too.
    http://torrentfreak.com/metallica-frontman-pirates-his-own-album-090305/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭dcr22B

REALLY think we are gonna have to agree to disagree here buddy..

No problemo that's what opinions are all about :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 gith75

I first heard them in the early 90's with Enter Sandman and it was love at first hear!, i went out and bought the Black album about a week later.
    I think that is their best album.

Here's a band from Finland who sound remarkably like Metallica, they're called Am I Blood
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6KVs0q6nKw

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I first start listening to Metallica when I was 14, a bootleg cassette of the Master of Puppets album being my first listen. Im 32 now and I still love their music.

Ive always loved live bands but I admit that when I first heard the album I loved the attitude but was a little scared in case it was evil. :o but when i read the lyrics i realised that not all heavy metal was satanic. (In your face secondary school teachers!)

Ive seen Metallica live each time they play here since the Black Album tour. Im not a fan of Load or Reload and St. Anger didnt last long in my cd player. I guess Metallica were in a different zone for those albums so they lacked the longevity of their other albums.

Its very difficult for bands to withstand the test of time but they still know how to put on a live show. Their live shows are some of the best live shows Ive been to and I go to alot of gigs.

Ive always liked their image of having no image. When other "metal" bands were either parading like a fashion shows, or singing about Satan or advising which was the best hairspray, Metallica were just doing the music.

I met Hetfield on Grafton Street years ago. He was friendly and down to earth. He didnt seem bothered with alot of people stopping him.

I dont have a favourite album as such as I like (most of) them for different reasons.

As I said, Im 32 and still a massive fan, member of the fan club but unfortunately have never got any meet and greet passes. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Rockee

I can vaguely remember seeing the vid for 'Nothing Else Matters' on the Beatbox with Simon Young and Peter Collins. :D Wasnt until 1993 though when I really took notice of them. A cousin of mine had AJFA on tape and I was floored. At the time I was 12 so I wasnt thinking 'oh tinny bass etc' It just came across as epic, intricate and in your face.

I first seen em front row at the Point in '99. Ill never forget that night because here they were in front of me finally! Have seen em 4 times in total which Im disgusted with but finances havent permitted me to catch them abroad as much as Id like.

I dont listen to Metallica each and every day but what I really love is their sense of humour. 'Some Kind Of Monster' is fantastic, make no mistake folks your favourite band go through a soap opera too, they just havent been brave enough to document it! :)

I could go on and on but talking about my Metallica fascination is better over a pint with 'Master Of Puppets' on in the background!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

First time I heard Metallica was when I was around 11/12. My older brother had all their records (to date at the time), and I remember asking him "Who are Metallica?" (He was a huge fan)

He handed me the MoP album and I was instantly amazed just by the artwork. Later that day I sat down, alone, and listened to the album. I had never heard any heavy metal or anything like that at all. I was literally blown away. What better song than "Battery". I was hooked from then. It was probably one of the best things that's happened to me! :L

I couldn't get enough. I thought it was ****ing awesome. Which is why today Metallica are my favourite band of the last 6/7 years.

I only saw them for the first time this year in Marlay Park. I couldn't go before because I was too young/no adult would go with me

Fave album is Ride, altho Mop and Justice are tied for second fave :)

I only liked a few songs on Load. I myself am not giant on the new Metallica (altho DM is great)

AFAIK the bass wasn't put onto the Justice album, if that's what you're reffering to as the production? AFAIK they saw Newsted as the new guy and weren't quite ready to come to terms with the fact that the great Cliff was gone

But yeah I worship the guys, altho I listen to a lot of other metal/music. Metallica are still my fave/best and no one comes close

Fave song? Creeping Death.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,647 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

A7X wrote: »

That's bs, imo. Load was a good album. Just cos it was totally different to anything they'd done previously, doesn't automatically make it *****!? Some great songs on it.

Now, ReLoad was not a good album. They went downhill from then on.

Advertisement