Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metallica Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

REALLY think we are gonna have to agree to disagree here buddy..

Unforgiven III is ***** in my opinion. Suicide & Redemption is a waste of space.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭H1tmonlii

Kill Em All
    Fast and trebley. The way I love it.

Ride The Lightning
    A cross between Master and K'EA imo. Their worst song (Trapped Under Ice) is on this album but is a complete contrast from the rest of the album

Master of Puppets
    Not their best but second best album (After K'EA)

...And Justice For All
    Progressive here. Dyers Eve is one heavy song!

Metallica
    Awesome. Shorter songs but still awesome.

Load + Reload
    I put these two albums together because the songs on them are in the same vein as each other.
    I love Load. Songs like Ain't my Bitch and King Nothing are fun to sing along to. Reload hasn't got as much memorable songs, but it does have Fuel and Devil's Dance.

St. Anger
    Everybody hates it, but I love it.

Death Magnetic
    Fast and thrashy like their earlier stuff. Nice.

H1tmonlii wrote: »
    Kill Em All
    Fast and trebley. The way I love it.

Ride The Lightning
    A cross between Master and K'EA imo. Their worst song (Trapped Under Ice) is on this album but is a complete contrast from the rest of the album

Master of Puppets
    Not their best but second best album (After K'EA)

...And Justice For All
    Progressive here. Dyers Eve is one heavy song!

Metallica
    Awesome. Shorter songs but still awesome.

Load + Reload
    I put these two albums together because the songs on them are in the same vein as each other.
    I love Load. Songs like Ain't my Bitch and King Nothing are fun to sing along to. Reload hasn't got as much memorable songs, but it does have Fuel and Devil's Dance.

St. Anger
    Everybody hates it, but I love it.

Death Magnetic
    Fast and thrashy like their earlier stuff. Nice.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭alphasounds

I was at dynamo open air late 90's
    The promised metallica show ( Kirk and friend's i think )
    was 50.000 metal fan's standing in front of a no show to the best festival time arround 22hr listening a live radio broadcasting over the big open air PA with closed curtain.
    ( yes some of the lads where in Holland !! )talking about the new load album and the taste of ketshup.
    There was a community spirit after a while of piss taking over the speakers in burning metallica patshes.
    There was hundreds going up in cheers and flames.Metallica having a record there for shure.
    Just a few months before i did go to the 1rst overpriced metal show ( 50 dm normal up to 25 dm )in germany with a stupid 1hr. tour video instead a support.
    The Lad's played long and well but the mood could not be rescued .
    The stage light sound were good but not special & really not worth the money payed .
    It was also supposed to be sold out for weeks out but the ticket's got cheaper as closer we got to the venue.
    Real bummer for the guys having one already.
    This telly sales promotion style was also new to me at metal Gig's and it really sucks.
    I look back of all the support given in the early days just to greedy dumb people.
    But master of puppets and ride the lightning are still something else and got taped again and again in the time and got a lot of innocent girl's and boys into metal & buy the albums.:mad:

Metallica just announced a show in the Odyssey Arena, in Belfast on May 3rd.

Wonder if we'll get an indoor Dublin date??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭NIBBS

hoping they announce an O2 date in Dublin, but to be honest I have a feeling they won't - don't know why.......
    only bad think about the Odyssey date is that it's a Tuesday night, so more time off work needed.....

about time they did something different in Ireland though, and the lads in Belfast deserve a date after all these years.....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I get the feeling we wont get a Dublin date. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,934 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Metallica just announced a show in the Odyssey Arena, in Belfast on May 3rd.

Wonder if we'll get an indoor Dublin date??

It's May 11th in Belfast
    faceman wrote: »
    I get the feeling we wont get a Dublin date. :(

Yeah, we'll get a Dublin date, either 10th or 12th, the cost for bringing the whole rig over the sea for an indoor date is gonna be huge, an extra gig in Dublin would offset a lot of this cost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭104494431

Malice_ wrote: »
    I first heard Metallica back in 1991. A school friend gave me a copy of Ride The Lightning on tape. I could not believe my ears when I heard the fast part after the Fight Fire With Fire intro. I wasn't aware people could play guitar that fast or heavy :). I don't think an album has had such a positive influence on me since!
    I first saw Metallica live in 2003 in the RDS in Dublin. That was the same concert that The Darkness and Linkin Park played at.

My favourite Metallica album is easily Ride The Lightning. It's weakens a little with Trapped Under Ice and Escape but every other song on the album is a classic.

Terrible. The squelchy drums and absence of bass make that quite a difficult album to listen to for me. I wish they'd release a remastered edition of it! There are some fan-made vresions of the songs floating around on the Internet with bass added which make the songs sound a lot better. It's a pity there's not much that can be done with the drums :(.

My first, and only, Metallica gig was the same as yours.

Ride the lightning is a fantastic album. I find it hard to choose between that, KEA and Justice, though I think Justice is probably the better of the three.

I used to hate trapped under ice but it's one of the best songs on the album. Much more like the solo's in KEA from Hammett, great song.

I find that 90% of their songs have an absence of bass, in fact I would say that they could actually do an entire gig, without a bass player, and still sound perfect.

My favourite 3 songs in no particular order:

Jump In The Fire
    Ride The Lightning
    Fray Ends Of Sanity

An honourable mention for Blitzkrieg, thought it's not their song, it really is a great song.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Jonathan McHale

Metallica brought thrash/rock to the masses! While some argue that there are other, better thrash or rock bands, no-one has really touched them when it comes to success (in their genre). Epic band, with an endless amount of good songs. Load was dodgy though. Reload was decent I thought. But they really returned to form with Death magnetic. The closest to their original best of MOP since the black album!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Rockee

If they announce a Marlay Park part III Im off to Belfast!

Rockee wrote: »

If they announce Marlay Park III, I'm not going to go to that or Belfast. I'll keep my money in my pocket, thank you very much!! :mad:

If they announce Marlay Park III, I'm not going to go to that or Belfast. I'll keep my money in my pocket, thank you very much!! :mad:

Why not Belfast Mickey? I havent seen em indoors in 10 years..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

Im supposed to have my Bar Exams at the same time as the gig. It will be criminal that I wont be there :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Indoors is the way to go,every seat is a great one. If you're on the floor you're only a matter of feet from the band. Here's my youtube vid from MSG a couple of weeks ago. The position i'm in is where i started the night and that was having only arrived in at 20.00hrs that night,an hour before the band came on. I couldn't be arsed to que up from early in the morning for pit passes for outdoor shows,this is way better and if you really want the rail you can turn up around 3 or so and you'll get a spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭PattheMetaller

First got into Metallica when Ride The Lightning came out. Saw them in 1986 on the Master Of Puppets tour in Edinburgh, just a few weeks before the bus smash. Met the band at the stage door when they were carrying in beer from the van. They were all sound. John Marshall was playing rythmn guitar that tour as James had his arm in a stookie.

Being into Progressive Rock/Metal as well as straight ahead metal and thrash, I actually like all Metallica albums with the exception on St.Anger, where its more the sound of the drums that puts me off. I like the way they didn't churn out Master Of Puppets every time they released a new album and tried to progress.

Why not Belfast Mickey? I havent seen em indoors in 10 years..

Cos it's too much hassle for me to get there. I'm disabled, so I would need someone to come along with me. Asking someone to take a couple of days off work is too much hassle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

anyone see the track listing for the Mexico dvd/cd. Looks pretty decent. wonder can we get it here? I suppose online is the way to go...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭The Frayed Ends

seachto7 wrote: »
    anyone see the track listing for the Mexico dvd/cd. Looks pretty decent. wonder can we get it here? I suppose online is the way to go...

Yeah it looks brilliant. You can see a lot of videos on youtube now from the 1st DVD. Theres 3 in total I think. The last one having every song from the 3 nights.

Unfortunately The mexico dvd is only being released in Latin America but you can order it from the metallica site :D.

The Nimes one was released the other week. Only the one show so no where near as good.

And theres a Canadian one to come too which features... The Shortest Straw :D

anyways check Fight Fire with Fire from Mexico :pac:

Im hoping the announce another gig in Dublin and hopefully right after my fecking exams and not during them :mad:

Cos it's too much hassle for me to get there. I'm disabled, so I would need someone to come along with me. Asking someone to take a couple of days off work is too much hassle.

Ah I getcha, Marlay Park I imagine would be ten times worse for you. :eek:

• Advertisement

Ah I getcha, Marlay Park I imagine would be ten times worse for you. :eek:

Been there once before. Would never go again! F***in useless "venue".

• Registered Users Posts: 11,934 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Don'tworry bout Marlay, when they add a Dublin date it'll be indoors, too early in year for a Marlay gig

scudzilla wrote: »
    Don'tworry bout Marlay, when they add a Dublin date it'll be indoors, too early in year for a Marlay gig

D'you think the new O2 setup could accommodate a Metallica "in the round" stage?? I don't think so, which is why I fear we'll be lumbered with another Marlay Park gig later in the tour....??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭peter1892

D'you think the new O2 setup could accommodate a Metallica "in the round" stage?? I don't think so, which is why I fear we'll be lumbered with another Marlay Park gig later in the tour....??

This suggests that an 'in-the-round' gig can be accomodated:

http://www.ticketmaster.ie/seatingchart/197033/12582

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭BarryCreed

Unfortunately The mexico dvd is only being released in Latin America but you can order it from the metallica site :D.

The Nimes one was released the other week. Only the one show so no where near as good.

And theres a Canadian one to come too which features... The Shortest Straw :D

The Mexican shows setlists would appeal to me more than the Nimes one, but I'll hold out to see what the Canadian one offers....

peter1892 wrote: »

Woohoo!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭NIBBS

That doesn't really suggest anything, it just means that the stage dimentions for that show worked ok, the dimensions of the Metallica stage might be a completely different matter..........it certainly was the excuse used for not having a Dublin indoor show early last year when they played the O2 in London.......decided to hit Belfast either way.....

NIBBS wrote: »
    That doesn't really suggest anything, it just means that the stage dimentions for that show worked ok, the dimensions of the Metallica stage might be a completely different matter..........it certainly was the excuse used for not having a Dublin indoor show early last year when they played the O2 in London.......decided to hit Belfast either way.....

F**k. I'm not goin to Belfast then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭peter1892

NIBBS wrote: »

The stage Metallica have been using on their indoor shows over the last 12 months is pretty simple. There doesn't appear to be anything complex about it, in fact it looks a lot smaller than the production brought out on the 1991-93 and 1996/97 tours.

All they'd really be doing is setting up a stage in the middle of the floor, the area where the stage normally sits would be available for standing tickets.

• Advertisement

The stage Metallica have been using on their indoor shows over the last 12 months is pretty simple. There doesn't appear to be anything complex about it, in fact it looks a lot smaller than the production brought out on the 1991-93 and 1996/97 tours.

All they'd really be doing is setting up a stage in the middle of the floor, the area where the stage normally sits would be available for standing tickets.

You beat me to it. I remember the stage set up during the "Load" tour, and when I read about it in Kerrang, I thought "How the f**k are they gonna fit THAT into the Point"?? All they'd have to do is, reduce the capacity by a few hundred and away ya go!

Advertisement